996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

HELP - Need PPI with Warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 06:44 PM
saint01 is infamous around these parts
HELP - Need PPI with Warranty?

Guys - I need your advice. I have a 2002 911 TT that I am looking at and it has a full bumper to bumper warranty for another year that is transferable. I have read through it and need to read one more time, but it seems very inclusive.

Do you think I still need to get a PPI? I am leaning toward no, since everything would be covered (there are NO mods on the car at all) and I would prefer to put the additional money towards extending the warranty.

Thoughts? I need to make a decision quick, due to some other options, so I thought I would come to where my friends are and ask for the advice.

Feel free to give thoughts...car as 39k miles and doesn't appear to have anything wrong with it. No 2nd gear pop-up, clean car fax, etc. So give me your thoughts...

Last edited by saint01; 07-14-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:00 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
If you plan on modding, (you say no, now), the warranty could become useless, or at least a battle everytime you want to use it.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by ttboost
If you plan on modding, (you say no, now), the warranty could become useless, or at least a battle everytime you want to use it.
Maybe a suspension and wheels, but initially nothing on the engine.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:24 PM
Al Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by saint01
Maybe a suspension and wheels, but initially nothing on the engine.
Famous last words..."initially" nothing on the engine....

Old 07-15-2010, 07:38 AM
leftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond repute
A PPI should be non-negotiable, even if the car has a warranty. Do you really want to deal with issues, minor or major, even if they do end up covered by the warranty? You could get a total POS and the warranty isn't going ot make you feel any better.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:39 AM
Originally Posted by leftlane
A PPI should be non-negotiable, even if the car has a warranty. Do you really want to deal with issues, minor or major, even if they do end up covered by the warranty? You could get a total POS and the warranty isn't going ot make you feel any better.
Good point.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:57 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
I didn't get one before I bought my CPO 03 Turbo with 9500 miles on it last year. But I gave the car several good goings over and a longish test drive.

In your car's case with just one year's warranty remaining I'd have a PPI done. My car had a 2 year, 100K CPO warranty.

Dry bearing noise appeared last May and I found a radiator fan not working. Took car to dealer for this and tech found in addition to a bad roller bearing, a busted radiator fan hub/blade assembly (which took out a radiator -- no leaks but dented the back side all to heck) a selector shaft seal leaking on the transmission.

To fix this required the transmission be replaced. Under warranty.

Since you have a year left on the warranty the earlier you can spot something needing attention the better. A PPI can do that for you.

Oh, and radiator cap found to be leaking and replaced too. My advice based on my expeirence is the radiator cap does not end in 03 or 04 just buy a new one and replace the old cap. The old cap if not leaking will leak eventually.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:14 AM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
Originally Posted by leftlane
Big 2nd on this one.

Just because the car has a warranty, does not mean it does not have problems mechanically or prior accident history.

Have it checked out- a good indy mechanic can be a lot more thorough and less expensive. Have a Durametric scan of the car, including over revs.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:06 AM
Mgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to behold
A third. Have one done.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:24 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by saint01

Do you think I still need to get a PPI? I am leaning toward no, since everything would be covered (there are NO mods on the car at all) and I would prefer to put the additional money towards extending the warranty.
ABSOLUTELY, OF COURSE...

l1. You have no idea what might have been on the car previously. "told", yes- "know", not hardly

2. Any evidence of 'abuse' or 'mods' that might be present can invalidate the warranty when you go to use it. Indeed, the warranty may be out of business or may not transfer (although I assume you have the POLICY and know what needs to be done)

3. Prior repairs- mechanical or body- will not be covered by the warranty.

4. Deferred maintenance is not covered.

There was a recent story here (thread is hibernating) of a person relying on a cpo...turns out the car had major mods that were stripped out, the dealer slapped a cpo on the car and it still had modified software- so if he ever tries to use the CPO and PCNA finds out it will be denied.

PPI is a must

A

Old 07-15-2010, 10:26 AM
All good advice. I have all the service records and have confirmed via an independent printout from Porsche. I have a copy of the warranty in hand and everything is solid. Looks like the PPI is coming though...thanks guys.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:42 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Also there is no 'standard porsche PPI'...every dealer does it differently- or should I say you never know what they'll be doing.

I recommend doing the "CPO Checklist" so that you know what is inspected and what criteria is being used, and ADD to that a dump of the DME for any errors, codes or overrun data. Surprisingly the latter is not part of a porsche CPO.... they clearly don't want to find bad news they cannot do anything about during a cpo, but are more than happy to use that data later to deny claims... (Who, me cynical? )

A

Old 07-15-2010, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by ard
Also there is no 'standard porsche PPI'...every dealer does it differently- or should I say you never know what they'll be doing.

I recommend doing the "CPO Checklist" so that you know what is inspected and what criteria is being used, and ADD to that a dump of the DME for any errors, codes or overrun data. Surprisingly the latter is not part of a porsche CPO.... they clearly don't want to find bad news they cannot do anything about during a cpo, but are more than happy to use that data later to deny claims... (Who, me cynical? )

A
Yep, I know all about what you mentioned. I have a few additional requests that I will ask for in addition to reviewing their PPI list against the CPO checklist (which is basically what I am asking for). Thanks!

Old 07-15-2010, 11:15 AM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
Get the PPI. I have a aftermarket warranty that was transferred and is "comprehensive, highest level package, guy paid $4k for 3 years." I'll tell you from experience that they are scum bags and will say everything is maintenance. My ignitiion switch failure (porsche wanted $525) they said maintenance, my tensioner/pulley/belt for $2.1k they are saying maintenance; weather proofing strip on driver's window = maintenance.

Get a PPI with compression and leakdown test. If they find anything, use that to negotiate price and dont' get stuck with 4 figures of "maintenance" expenses right off the bat.

Last edited by MikeR397; 07-15-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by MikeR397
Get the PPI. I have a aftermarket warranty that was transferred and is "comprehensive, highest level package, guy paid $4k for 3 years." I'll tell you from experience that they are scum bags and will say everything is maintenance. My ignitiion switch failure (porsche wanted $525) they said maintenance, my tensioner/pulley/belt for $2.1k they are saying maintenance; weather proofing strip on driver's window = maintenance.

Get a PPI with compression and leakdown test. If they find anything, use that to negotiate price and dont' get stuck with 4 figures of "maintenance" expenses right off the bat.
I do agree about the PPI. That said, they have a duty to prove that the the items you mentioned above are maintenance items. I would pull the Porsche suggested maintenance schedule and show them that none of these are on the list. I've been down that road before with two companies. One I actually had to sue, but funny how the moment I filed, they were on the phone with me ready to settle.

Pain in the butt = YES. PPI = YES. Worth the warranty = YES!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HELP - Need PPI with Warranty?