996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Hesitation - Bucking Bronco?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 04:38 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
mine does the same (with or without wife) but only when its cold?
Same here, only when the engine is cold.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:22 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
So, today I spent 4 hours changing the plugs and replacing coils on cylinders 1 and 2. I cleaned the throttle body and MAF (again). After, I went for a ride and the car was a smooth as glass - until it warmed up and I tried out the full RPM range.

At about 4K it started to sputter and gave me P0301 again. After that happened, it continued to sputter occasionally even at lower RPM. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this - it's really starting to bug me!

Old 07-22-2010, 07:32 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
what gap did you use? and what plugs?

one guy i think ttboost had issues with a vacume line on the Throttle body not being secured giveing these issues

does it drive normal upto 4k?

or is it only under heavy acccel at 4k and up?

Old 07-22-2010, 07:56 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
After I did the work, it drove perfectly up to 4K, then the sputtering started. Once the sputtering started, it now does it at all RPM, but particularly more aggravated under heavier load. I used these plugs (they were the same as the old plugs Bosch FR6LDC - Gapped to .8mm [.032"])...

Old 07-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Solved!

I realized today, that the Porsche does not use the "standard" cylinder numbering. For those who don't know, this is it:

Anyway, the code I got was P0301 which indicates misfiring on #1. I replaced the coil on 3 (using Porsche numbers) so today, I replaced the real #1 coil with one that I had removed before. Everything is as smooth as can be now. No more hesitation before 2K RPM and no bucking all the way to redline.

It is interesting to note, there were no codes when it was just a little hesitation before 2K RPM. There was really no way to tell there was a problem with the coil until things got worse. All of you who said that you are having the same problem, you could have just one coil on the fritz but not bad enough to make you want to go to the shop.

Thanks for all those who posted suggestions - this site is great!