996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Hesitation - Bucking Bronco?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Hesitation - Bucking Bronco?

I have had my 911 TT for a couple of months now. Initially, I thought it was just me not being accustomed to the new car, but after a couple of months I can see that it's not me...

If I accelerate slowly in 1st, at about 2k RPM there is some hesitation that starts the car into a bucking bronco that continues unless I give it much more gas or change gears. It only happens if I am accelerating slowly (only happens with the wife in the car) - if I accelerate quickly, there is no hesitation. I'm thinking fuel filter or FPR - has anyone seen this one before?

Old 07-15-2010, 04:02 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
Mine does something very similar too...

My tech says its normal, I asked him at least twice.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:09 PM
smistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond repute
try cleaning the MAF sensor with electric cleaner- should do the trick. Alternative diagnosis may be throttle body- any CEL's?

Old 07-15-2010, 11:57 PM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
What about the Throttle Body?

Old 07-16-2010, 07:09 AM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
I have exactly the same issue. More of a hestitation (or gasping for air or fuel). Mine seems worse when the car is cold - the majority of the time (90%) it does not happen. I have also been told it is normal. Would love to get to the bottom of it.
Originally Posted by Slider
I have had my 911 TT for a couple of months now. Initially, I thought it was just me not being accustomed to the new car, but after a couple of months I can see that it's not me...

If I accelerate slowly in 1st, at about 2k RPM there is some hesitation that starts the car into a bucking bronco that continues unless I give it much more gas or change gears. It only happens if I am accelerating slowly (only happens with the wife in the car) - if I accelerate quickly, there is no hesitation. I'm thinking fuel filter or FPR - has anyone seen this one before?

Old 07-16-2010, 08:57 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I have cleaned the MAF. There are no obvious problems with the throttle body - I have removed and reinstalled it - no leaks are apparent.

No CELs and as fdorn has said, it happens mostly when the car is cold. I can't believe that a sputter is "normal" - there has to be a reason for this...

Old 07-16-2010, 08:59 AM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by smistry007
try cleaning the MAF sensor with electric cleaner- should do the trick. Alternative diagnosis may be throttle body- any CEL's?

+1 for smistry

Try the MAF cleaning first since it's easy to do. Consider the other diagnoses if the MAF cleaning doesn't work. My 996 turbo did that as well shortly after I bought it. It would hesitate off idle on slow starts for a couple seconds and then go normally. I also could only acheive 0.5 bar boost (limp mode). Cleaned the MAF and all the problems went away. If your car has an aftermarket oiled air filter that will require MAF cleaning frequently but even with standard air element this happens. There is a DIY on MAF cleaning on this site somewhere. If I find it I'll post it.

Eric

Old 07-16-2010, 08:59 AM
smistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Saint Ari
What about the Throttle Body?

I had similar issues- usually resolved with cleaning of MAF sensor- however one time, despite MAF cleaning, issues persisted- but I also got PASM/ABS lights- turned out to be throttle body valve not opening properly...

Old 07-18-2010, 12:04 AM
Good news - It's getting worse....

I don't know if it is related or not, but yesterday the hesitation went to a new level. When it happens, if I just back off the gas a little it goes away and I can accelerate again. There were times when I couldn't go above 4K without extreme hesitation. Finally, I got a code P0301 - misfire cyl 1. I cleared the code and went out again today. The misfire happened from time to time and when I pushed it during the misfiring, I got another P0301. I only get the code if I don't back off when it misfires.

Do I have a bad plug or coil pack or is it something else?

Old 07-18-2010, 08:08 AM
dynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Slider
Good news - It's getting worse....

I don't know if it is related or not, but yesterday the hesitation went to a new level. When it happens, if I just back off the gas a little it goes away and I can accelerate again. There were times when I couldn't go above 4K without extreme hesitation. Finally, I got a code P0301 - misfire cyl 1. I cleared the code and went out again today. The misfire happened from time to time and when I pushed it during the misfiring, I got another P0301. I only get the code if I don't back off when it misfires.

Do I have a bad plug or coil pack or is it something else?
I had similar issues,it was a bad coil pack

Old 07-18-2010, 10:51 AM
paneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to behold
When is the last time the car got a fresh set of plugs?

Old 07-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !
Sounds like a spark plug or mayber a injector

Old 07-18-2010, 11:14 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
How about posting miles and maintenance history?

Old 07-18-2010, 07:40 PM
As far as I know, the plugs were replaced 15,000 km ago, along with coils and MAF. I have no reason to doubt the previous owner. I have had the car for the last 6,000 Km. The car currently has 96,000 km.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:28 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
mine does the same (with or without wife) but only when its cold?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hesitation - Bucking Bronco?