996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Differences between brands of billet DVs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 01:01 PM
TekNiC3 is infamous around these partsTekNiC3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Turbo
Which DVs are maintenance free?
The Bosch ones that I got from EPL.

They look like stock, so no flashy eye candy.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:08 PM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
Are you running Audi 610N's or something?

Originally Posted by TekNiC3

Old 07-20-2010, 03:04 PM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TekNiC3

Flashiness is not of importance. Functionality is the important part. I'm not sure I want the engine bay looking a lot different than Stock anyway. How long have you run the upgraded Bosch ones? Do you have a part number for them?

Old 07-20-2010, 03:18 PM
Banned
porka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant future
Flashiness is not of importance. Functionality is the important part. I'm not sure I want the engine bay looking a lot different than Stock anyway. How long have you run the upgraded Bosch ones? Do you have a part number for them?
I wonder which are better the evoms or bosch version.. whats the price point on the bosch? the evoms ones are $280

Old 07-20-2010, 03:55 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
I have no plans on changing but I have noticed a few DV's mounted on the intercoolers? Benefits? Certain set ups?

Old 07-20-2010, 04:48 PM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by porka
I wonder which are better the evoms or bosch version.. whats the price point on the bosch? the evoms ones are $280
I started this thread trying to figure out what people feel is better. So far seems like a lot of differences of opinion.

If the better Bosch DV is the one what I think it is, it is the Bosch 710N DV. If that is the case they are cheaper than the evoms. I could be wrong though.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:56 PM
DYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to all
if i'm not mistaken you can use Bosch 110 or 114/710N, same specs just marketed as different for Audi/Porsche

Old 07-20-2010, 06:26 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
I have the EVO units and yes I would install F-hose while in there. Piece of mind down the road. No worries about dry-rotting/cracking OE rubber unit.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:36 PM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by XLR82XS
I have the EVO units and yes I would install F-hose while in there. Piece of mind down the road. No worries about dry-rotting/cracking OE rubber unit.
+ 10 on this...out of the blue my car started experiencing an audible boost leak last friday that put my car in limp mode (.4 boost max). Got home, checked every possible hose and fitting (especially the ic boost hoses), and found nothing). Then made myself a plug and compressor fitting to plug the intake hole just after the mass airflow system (using instructions from a thread on this site), pressurized the system, and in about 10 seconds diagnosed a massive hole on the inside of my f-hose. It was only 18 months old!

Old 07-20-2010, 11:44 PM
TekNiC3 is infamous around these partsTekNiC3 is infamous around these parts
Haven't installed them yet so don't really have an opinion about their operation. EPL stated that these were the way to go as they only cost $100 for the pair and don't require any servicing (other than just replacing them when they go bad)

I'll probably have them installed later this week or next.

The part number on the box is 0 280 142 114.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:54 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Speedfreak
There is no reason to replace the original Bosch DV's I run with about 1.4 bar and can guarantee that I have no leaks, I have pressure tested my system several times and it has never been any leakage at DV's.
The 710Ns and 110 valves have easily handled the boost levels you guys are running on other platforms reliably. You have to remember that the original early style Bosch units went through several adaptations after most 996TTs and were built to fix premature failures. Chances are that if your car has the original Bosch unit from the factory, they are bad or on their way. They may have even been replaced in the past with a old/superceded version that was sitting in a warehouse and will fail again at some point.

As far as testing for failures, you can't always tell by leak testing the boost side. Bad diverter valves often leak test fine on the boost side of things, but if you vacuum test the diaphram(small nipple), that is where the leak usually is. What will happen sometimes is that when you test the boost or vaccum side while the car is at rest, all of the vacuum valves may be closed off and if you have a leak in the diaphram it will leak to the boost side of things. If your boost system is tight you won't see a diaphram/vacuum leak becuase it is just leaking to the boost side and equalizing and not leaking to the atmosphere. If you test the boost side, you will equalize the boost side to the vacuum system that may have the check valves to stop it from leaking to the atmosphere.The best was to test DVs is with a boost hose(from the respective side you are testing) off to induce a leak. This is so that if you have a leak it is not just equalizing over to the opposite system(boost or vacuum), but instead leaking to the atmosphere. Then check the vacuum line(small nipple) with a mity vac or other vacuum pump. From my experiences the bosch ones don't really fail much on the boost side, just the actuation side(vacuum). Billet DVs have their + and - too. You do have to clean and lube them because they can get dry and bind up causing CELs and other issues. Hopefully that is helpful.

Last edited by VAGscum; 07-21-2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:24 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
I would also like to add that the billet DVs require proper spring setups. The wrong spring can cause some wierd issues.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:17 AM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
I can say from first hand experience that the customer support at Forge US is absolutely outstanding.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:43 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Replaced my billet DVs of dubious origin with EVO and didn't feel any improvement. The original billet DVs look and feel great (like new) and have no wear.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:25 PM
Screamin911 has a spectacular aura aboutScreamin911 has a spectacular aura about
I still have the stock DVs and still hit 1.2 bar with EPL tune.. Is this not right??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Differences between brands of billet DVs?