996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Occasional stalling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 08:55 PM
okcomputer is infamous around these parts
Occasional stalling

I've got an 01 996TT 6speed with about 55k miles on it. Every week or so, I've noticed it will stall under the following circumstances:

- Reversing and then pressing the clutch to shift to 1st
- Sometimes very soon after start up before I've engaged any gear

Typically the revs fall below 700rpm and when they don't bounce back up, that's when it stalls. I think it happens more often if the AC is not off at the time the car starts.

I don't have a LWFW, and it's never happened while coming to a stop or in the course of normal driving. Two months ago I got a P1411 code, I reset it, and it's not come back.

Any thoughts? Is this possibly a vacuum leak? MAF issue?

Thanks for any help!

Old 07-17-2010, 09:44 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
I had a very similar issue ! To make it short and fast here is what I did to get rid of the problem.

- I read changing the brake switch helps prevent this - I did it, cost me $12 but it still stalled.

- Did a boost leak test. - Found 2 or 3 boost leaks- Still stalled

-New clutch slave cylinder- So far no stalling ! Fingers crossed.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:03 AM
Interesting- I believe this car has had a new slave cylinder in the past couple of years. Any thoughts on how this part could cause the problem?

Old 07-18-2010, 09:45 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
sounds like clutch related...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 07-18-2010, 11:16 AM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
clean the throttle body.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:32 PM
g8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to behold
I had that same issue. Felt like the car was starving for air the way it would kind of sputter and then die. I took out the air box and looked at the filter I don't know if the original owner EVER changed it, it was so black and caked with grime. I put in a new filter and the problem disappeared completely. Thank God for the simple fixes sometimes Not saying that that's definitely your problem, but it's worth a look

Old 07-18-2010, 08:15 PM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
clean the maf, look for the threads here, doesn't cost anuthing, easy to do and can't hurt.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:56 PM
shadow996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by okcomputer
I've got an 01 996TT 6speed with about 55k miles on it. Every week or so, I've noticed it will stall under the following circumstances:

- Reversing and then pressing the clutch to shift to 1st
- Sometimes very soon after start up before I've engaged any gear

Typically the revs fall below 700rpm and when they don't bounce back up, that's when it stalls. I think it happens more often if the AC is not off at the time the car starts.

I don't have a LWFW, and it's never happened while coming to a stop or in the course of normal driving. Two months ago I got a P1411 code, I reset it, and it's not come back.

Any thoughts? Is this possibly a vacuum leak? MAF issue?

Thanks for any help!
i got the exact issue, and it is gone after I clean the MAF yesterday.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:52 PM
ok great! First thing I'll do (as soon as I pick up some cleaner and a Torx set) is clean the MAF. I searched here and saw a post on how to do it, but it was missing photos. What part of the MAF sensor gets cleaned... the terminals? something internal?

THanks!

Old 07-21-2010, 12:22 AM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
Dip the MAF in the solution lol works wonders ...

My initial reaction was W_T_F ... but ... it has worked wonders.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:19 PM
shadow996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by okcomputer
ok great! First thing I'll do (as soon as I pick up some cleaner and a Torx set) is clean the MAF. I searched here and saw a post on how to do it, but it was missing photos. What part of the MAF sensor gets cleaned... the terminals? something internal?

THanks!
i just spray all the metallic parts (the 2 thin wire, and the metal plate in between the plastics) that I can see.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:47 PM
GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !
I have the same exact issue when the clutch is pressed the idle comes down and dies when coming to a stop or while driving....my code p1109 input variable charge...
I bought a brand new hitachi maf, brand new throttle, brand new fuel pump,boost leek, smoke test, and still going......

Old 07-21-2010, 11:29 PM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
I'd be looking for vacuum leaks around the tb/intake ...if the maf clean doesn't do it....

Old 02-29-2012, 12:08 PM
ElTurboNegro is infamous around these parts
I just started experiencing this issue. The motor starts, seems to be starved of air and stalls - does turn over a little and the fuel pump can be heard cycling. I am going to pull it into the shop and clean the MAF and Air Filter, check for vaccum leaks etc. Other than it seems to be running fine once started and warmed - will post back on the progress.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:02 AM
sweeney186 is infamous around these parts
Try cleaning the throttle body as well

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Occasional stalling