996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How to check for mechanical over rev ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 07:26 PM
crazydude is infamous around these parts
Question How to check for mechanical over rev ?

As I am shopping for a 996TT I have been cruising the forums. I have noticed that some people indicate they had their porsches checked for mechanical over rev (mis-shift damage). I plan to make this a request when I find the perfect car... But I have a couple questions about this.

Can this be checked by odbII scanner?
Does a porsche dealership have to do it?
Can these instances be erased/hidden?
How would you word the request to a porsche dealership? Would you say "Please check the car for mechanical over-rev / mis-shift past issues and print out the results for me" ???

thanks

Adam

Old 07-21-2010, 07:38 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
It's a simple report with a Durametric..

If you're looking at lots of cars it might be a good investment. remember that the "normal" version limits you to three cars total...

Old 07-21-2010, 09:38 PM
the porsche dealership cant do this for a charge?

Old 07-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Sure they can. I thought you want to do it on test drives. Remebre, most chipped cars have a 7,000 Redline which is picked up by the computer as over revs.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:58 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
No
No
Don't think so, we'd have heard about it here
Say "I'd like you to dump the DME for all errors, codes and any over-rev data"

As mentioned above the durametric interface does this, along with the porsche specific systems... anyone with the right equipment can.

Have it done with your PPI- which should be the complete CPO inspection checklist (which is a published list with common and defined criteria for acceptance)

GL

A

Old 07-21-2010, 10:12 PM
I plan to request this information from a porsche dealership if they ahve a used 996tt for sale. Cool thanks guys

Old 07-22-2010, 12:45 AM
kwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ari
Sure they can. I thought you want to do it on test drives. Remebre, most chipped cars have a 7,000 Redline which is picked up by the computer as over revs.
Yup I log both type I and II's every time I hit the limiter.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:58 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
So is an over-rev due to slamming into the rev limiter on a flashed/chipped car equal to an over-rev on a stock car???

(Assuming both are just revs to the same rpm)

Old 07-22-2010, 07:26 AM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
I think with the enthusiast version - you can only clear codes on 3 cars. You can look at an unlimited number - and Durametric will also reset your cable once after you have found a car.
Originally Posted by ari
It's a simple report with a Durametric..

If you're looking at lots of cars it might be a good investment. remember that the "normal" version limits you to three cars total...

Old 07-22-2010, 07:34 AM
Wink

I am not so concerned of the computer being modded... I am more concerned with someone at redline in 2nd gear and shifting into 1st instead of 3rd... making the motor get hammered with a massive rpm. This was a serious concern with S2000's (My previous car before the kids started poping out... hence I need 4 seats... might as well make it a 911 Turbo )... one mis-shift in the s2000 and the motor was a ticking time bomb.

But thanks for pointing out the fact that if it is a re-flashed computer with higher red line it is flagged. Does this check at the dealership simply say "Over reved" or does it tell you how many RPMs so that you cand etermine if it was infact a mech. over rev?

Old 07-22-2010, 07:47 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by crazydude
I am not so concerned of the computer being modded... I am more concerned with someone at redline in 2nd gear and shifting into 1st instead of 3rd... making the motor get hammered with a massive rpm. This was a serious concern with S2000's (My previous car before the kids started poping out... hence I need 4 seats... might as well make it a 911 Turbo )... one mis-shift in the s2000 and the motor was a ticking time bomb.

But thanks for pointing out the fact that if it is a re-flashed computer with higher red line it is flagged. Does this check at the dealership simply say "Over reved" or does it tell you how many RPMs so that you cand etermine if it was infact a mech. over rev?
The misshift(money shift) is the usually the cause of the type 2 over rev and is the most dangerous. My under standing from what I was told by a Porsche engine builder was that the type 1 over rev is dangerous in repetition and the type 2 over rev only needs to happen once to cause permanant damage. I am not sure what the RPM ranges are for the different over rev types. I would like to know too.