996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 GT2 Tuning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Bx2
Bx2 is infamous around these parts
996 GT2 Tuning

Greeting to the board from a new subscriber!

Great info in here, and great cars!

I recently purchase a 2002 996 GT2. It boost to 0.9 Bar stock and I know that it is capable of more boost without internal engine mods. With an intake and exhaust replacement, I understand that it can run 1.2 to 1.3 bar on pump gas and 1.4 to 1.5 on 100 octane unleaded race gas, with a flash of the ECU.

Anyone experience any problems with flashing their ECU for more boost and HP? I am curious if this has a downside that anyone has actually experienced? Increased maintenance, decreased engine life, blown motors, failed transmissions, broken clutches, decreased sensitivity and loss of sexual performance. (Sorry the last one was from a medical waiver form that made me laugh, it was for sinus surgery???)

Thanks in advance for your responses, and looking forward to being part of this board.

Bx2
(Black on Black 2002 GT2)

Old 07-22-2010, 09:46 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
congrats on your gt2. you do not need internal mods untill you are pushing BIG power! for ecu tuning i recomend 911 tuning/protomotive . depending on how much power you want to make then you also do the supporting mods, intakes, exhaust ,intercoolers, and diverter valves, etc.. you will most likely need a after market clutch also .

you do not have to worry about any of the issues you listed above.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:53 AM
Banned
M3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud of
Welcome ... You will find a lot of information regarding mods, tunes and different shops.
unvmy996 said, you don't need to change internals unless you go BIG BIG power 750whp +, and there are a few members running more power than that with stock internals.
I have Evoms software in my car and love it. I would recommend exhaust, tune and intake, and after that you can do your own research and find out your next steps.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Welcome

The GT2 uses the K24 turbos and has plenty of umfff in it for more power without changing a think except the flash and exhaust. The K24 turbos with the Softronic ECU flash will go to about 1.2bar. Anytime you do an ECU flash, the best thing is to also do the Diverter Valves. The GT2 Exhaust is still restrictive so if you flash it, you will not gain as much on the top power unless you do an Aftermarket Exhaust.

Maintenance wise, the flash/exhaust combo is one of the most popular first steps. There is no REAL downside. The 2 maintenance things you should probably look at is the spark plugs and the clutch. Depending on how many miles are on them, they will need to be changed. The clutch is probably ok if the car has not been beat up alot. But usually with the additional power and boost, the spark plugs are mandatory.

Its a good base to start and you can take the car to 700HP on the stock internals I bought my 996TT with 10000 miles and sold it with 35000 miles 2 years ago. I just heard from 2 owners after me it is still trucking strong.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 07-22-2010, 10:55 AM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Congratulations on the GT2 purchase... You will LOVE it! The first thing to do, is get the suspension geometry set correctly as it will transform the Car and make it a lot less of a handful on the road.

As far as Tunes etc, I would highly recommend Tony at EPL.. I have his flash, a Speedtech X-Flow exhaust with 100 cell cats and my Car is just superb... Better driveability, better part throttle response for driving around town and a massive improvement in midrange and top end power. I am in California, so we have 91 Octane Gnat's **** instead of gasoline, but even so, at 1.1 Bar, my Car flies, especially at the top end.

I hammer my Car around Laguna Seca and other local Racetracks here in Northern California, and the Car is flawless.. it runs at exactly the same temperatures after 25 hard laps as it does pottering down the Freeway at 2500 rpm. Tony at EPL has given me a bulletproof, smooth, powerful tune that makes the Car better than stock in every regard.

Cheers.

Last edited by 80shilling; 07-22-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
BX2,
You gotta luv the GT2!
As I am sure you will quickly find, there is no shortage of qualified companies out there that can supply you with a good ECU tune for your car. Evolution has been in this business for over a decade and we have pioneered many of the developments you see today on the 996 and 997 turbo Porsches. Here is an idea of what you can expect from out 996GT2 Tune:

HP Gain: 60-70
TQ Gain: 65-75
-More power and torque throughout the rev range
-The most powerful and reliable ECU tuning on the market
-Improved throttle response and reduced throttle lag
-Undetectable by scan tools
-No need for soldering
-45 Day Money Back Guarantee

I would love to have the opportunity to answer any questions you may have in regars to "bumping" the power on your new baby. Feel free to call or email anytime, Thanks.

Rod Z
rodz@evoms.com
480-317-9911

F: 480.317.9901
E: info@evoms.com
Home of the Worlds Fastest 997TT Porsche(s)
997TT Standing Mile = 234.6 MPH
997TT Standing 1/2 Mile = 217.09 MPH
Fastest 1/4 Mile = 9.29 @ 172.7 MPH
60-130 MPH Time = 3.28 Seconds
Old 07-22-2010, 11:53 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
The upside is all of the above...the downside is it will never be enough...Good Luck!!!

Old 07-22-2010, 12:14 PM
Banned
M3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud of
I second everything that Evoms posted.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:31 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
We don't run 1.3 bar on pump gas... especially on a stock fuel system. Your K24 turbos will not even support boost over 1.2 bar max... You will need at least upgraded Wg springs.. and if you do that then you may as well go for upgraded K24/18gs.... have been it's a economical approach when compared to other turbo options...
Choose wisely, don't base it on price alone... ask about future upgrades, and credits towards them... as well as custom tuning... yes we can custom tune your car via datalogs you provide...
good luck on your new endeavor...
best
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 07-22-2010, 12:50 PM
btapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by 80shilling
Congratulations on the GT2 purchase... You will LOVE it! The first thing to do, is get the suspension geometry set correctly as it will transform the Car and make it a lot less of a handful on the road.

As far as Tunes etc, I would highly recommend Tony at EPL.. I have his flash, a Speedtech X-Flow exhaust with 100 cell cats and my Car is just superb... Better driveability, better part throttle response for driving around town and a massive improvement in midrange and top end power. I am in California, so we have 91 Octane Gnat's **** instead of gasoline, but even so, at 1.1 Bar, my Car flies, especially at the top end.

I hammer my Car around Laguna Seca and other local Racetracks here in Northern California, and the Car is flawless.. it runs at exactly the same temperatures after 25 hard laps as it does pottering down the Freeway at 2500 rpm. Tony at EPL has given me a bulletproof, smooth, powerful tune that makes the Car better than stock in every regard.

Cheers.
+1.. I had a GIAC tune for a few months and it was hell at partial throttle. My EPL tune is silky smooth with tons of power. You will be happy.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:29 PM
seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !
My understanding was that a dealer can spot any alterations to the flash, even if removed. Is that incorrect?

Originally Posted by Evolution MotorSports
BX2,
You gotta luv the GT2!
As I am sure you will quickly find, there is no shortage of qualified companies out there that can supply you with a good ECU tune for your car. Evolution has been in this business for over a decade and we have pioneered many of the developments you see today on the 996 and 997 turbo Porsches. Here is an idea of what you can expect from out 996GT2 Tune:

HP Gain: 60-70
TQ Gain: 65-75
-More power and torque throughout the rev range
-The most powerful and reliable ECU tuning on the market
-Improved throttle response and reduced throttle lag
-Undetectable by scan tools
-No need for soldering
-45 Day Money Back Guarantee

I would love to have the opportunity to answer any questions you may have in regars to "bumping" the power on your new baby. Feel free to call or email anytime, Thanks.

Rod Z
rodz@evoms.com
480-317-9911

Old 07-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Vivid Racing now offers a new tuning system which you can read more about at www.vrtuned.com. We are no longer affiliated with or represent the other product.

Last edited by vividracing; 02-02-2014 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Bx2,

We offer an EPL flash / SpeedTech Exhaust bundle, if you are interested. Saves you some money by purchasing both together. It's the same package as 80shilling described above, except if you have 93 octane, EPL will add a little more boost and adjust the file accordingly.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 07-23-2010, 10:46 PM
Bx2
Bx2 is infamous around these parts
Wow. This board is amazing. Thanks to all for sharing your valuable insights.

I have to conclude that the downside risk is minimal since no one had regrets.

Thanks!

Old 07-24-2010, 12:43 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
First, WHO is doing your mods?

I would recommend factoring them into your flash decision.... if you pick a flash vendor who your local talent is uncomfortable with or unfamiliar with, you may pay the price.

Also do keep in mind the distinction between tuners and sales outlets. Discerning the difference can matter- depends on your personality, and the situation with your installer. I view a tuner or flash not as "a part" but more of a 'relationship'. My two cents.

Don't get crazy and you'll be fine wringing out some HP with virtually no downside. Exhaust, wastegates and flash will do you- I have the same motor/turbos as your car.

GL

A

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 GT2 Tuning