996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

PSM engage & scares the heck out of me

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 09:24 AM
rossandbeth is infamous around these parts
PSM engage & scares the heck out of me

Hi,

Within first 10 minutes on way to work get left front (LF) PSM engaging (causing oversteer) on moderate+ turns coming *down* the mountain at good speed, if there really is slippage on this wheel what would cause that? Or is PSM FU, or cold tires (pilot sport).

Can I discover any info on this when I connect the durametric? If so what do I check?

Pretty sure its PSM since I see very fast yellow flash on display but no CEL.

Service records from couple years ago seem to indicate previous owner may have run over curb on that side LF, but have had no other issues, visual looks okay.

Definitely a very intermittent issue, similar issue occurred several months ago & caused under steer at same turn and that would have launched me off the cliff. But that time I attributed it to brand new snow tires and my stupidity.

Thanks,
--Ross
996tt `01 Bilstein PSS10

Old 07-23-2010, 09:28 AM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
What do you have your PSS10's set to?
Originally Posted by rossandbeth
Hi,

Within first 10 minutes on way to work get left front (LF) PSM engaging (causing oversteer) on moderate+ turns coming *down* the mountain at good speed, if there really is slippage on this wheel what would cause that? Or is PSM FU, or cold tires (pilot sport).

Can I discover any info on this when I connect the durametric? If so what do I check?

Pretty sure its PSM since I see very fast yellow flash on display but no CEL.

Service records from couple years ago seem to indicate previous owner may have run over curb on that side LF, but have had no other issues, visual looks okay.

Definitely a very intermittent issue, similar issue occurred several months ago & caused under steer at same turn and that would have launched me off the cliff. But that time I attributed it to brand new snow tires and my stupidity.

Thanks,
--Ross
996tt `01 Bilstein PSS10

Old 07-23-2010, 10:26 AM
Hi,
3 front 4 rear
--Ross

Old 07-23-2010, 10:33 AM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
I have never run mine that soft so I have no idea if that has anything to do with it.

I run 5 front and 6 rear on the street and 7 front and 8 rear at the track. If I run the 7-8 on the street I sometimes get ABS/PSM intrusion. Nothing notable so likely not your issue - again never run them below 5f 6r so can't really comment on how that would act.

Originally Posted by rossandbeth
Hi,
3 front 4 rear
--Ross

Old 07-23-2010, 01:43 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Since you have a durametric, check the steering angle sensor and reset it with the wheels set straight ahead. If the PO hit a curb, it could have knocked it out of alignment. The steering angle sensor affects PSM. Not saying this is your problem but it could be and since you have the equipment, it's an easy check out.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:00 PM
charnph is infamous around these parts
I have the same thing happened to me several time on a down hill 360 degree ramp coming off highway. I had the dealer test drive it and reset steering censored, but it still happen from time to time.

Now, I just slow down whenever I drive through that section of the road.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:15 AM
Problem occurred 3 times this morning.

Read thread on renntech of similar issue after coilover install which was just done to my vehicle too, need to check wiring before a short blows this $2k ABS unit.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:21 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Any time suspension work or alignment is done, the steering angle sensor is supposed to be reset.