996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Another: Know this Car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 04:07 PM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Is this car moded ?? you talk about stage2 ,looks nice,very nice wheels and you're smart did a PPI.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:21 PM
RudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to behold
Stage/Type 2 over revs happen at 7250RPM and up. Could be from the car hitting the rev limiter hard or it could be from a missed/botched down shift.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:43 PM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RudyTT
Stage/Type 2 over revs happen at 7250RPM and up. Could be from the car hitting the rev limiter hard or it could be from a missed/botched down shift.

Thank you Rudy

Old 07-30-2010, 05:58 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Most important question: what are the total "operating hours" and what were the "hours" when the last overrev occured??? This is on the dme dump. If the are 'fresh' or recent, walk... Otherwise if they were 200 hrs ago (just an example) you may be fine...

A

Last edited by ard; 07-30-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:21 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by dfwerdoc
the price is high ..... i would let them know that the supple leather is less desirable than sports seats and cut the price accordingly. i would offer them between 45 to 49. nice car ........ and im really liking the red
So what would you offer if it had stock wheels and stock wing? $42K?

I am really surprised at the comments in here. I guess I way overpaid for my car then and KBB is off by at least $10K +? I know KBB is not that accurate, but I never see 2003 TT;s with this mileage and options below $50K unless something is wrong with it.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:46 PM
kwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud of
That car has been for sale for a long time, I remember seeing that ad a few months ago.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:01 PM
willieboy is a jewel in the roughwillieboy is a jewel in the roughwillieboy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by zzzzzeke
PPI complete...

300 overrevs in stage 2 along with a rear main seal leaking.

i've started researching what those overrevs mean...any advice?
300 is quite a few. As said previously, it could be poor down shifting. I would be cautious. When I had mine checked a little over a year ago, the car had 4. My tech said the same thing about the down shifting but they were also along time ago. My 2001 996TT is for sale in the "for sale" section with 8500 miles and in concours condition but she is bone stock.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:18 AM
RudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to behold
If I recall correctly, the over rev is not calculated by the number of individual times the engine goes past the red line, but rather, the amount of time it has spent past red line, as indicated per engine revolution.

So 300 Stage 2 over rev might indicate the engine spending ~1 - 2 seconds at 7250RPM or higher, instead of the car having hit the rev limiter or missed down shifts 300 times.

I am not a math person at all, so I am sure someone can step in and explain the calculation.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:31 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RudyTT
If I recall correctly, the over rev is not calculated by the number of individual times the engine goes past the red line, but rather, the amount of time it has spent past red line, as indicated per engine revolution.

So 300 Stage 2 over rev might indicate the engine spending ~1 - 2 seconds at 7250RPM or higher, instead of the car having hit the rev limiter or missed down shifts 300 times.

I am not a math person at all, so I am sure someone can step in and explain the calculation.

It is the number of 'ignitions' over the limit. So it is not 300 missed shifts but rather 100 revolutions, or at 7000 rpm one 70th of a minute or 0.9 seconds above the limit. But was it 7350? Or was it 9k? or 10k?

At 10,000 rpm it is only 0.6 seconds. The problem is you have no idea what kind of abuse created this data- was it a light over-rev or a drastic missed shift?

My point was that since you cannot know, you can use the history- if it was a long time ago it probably was not consequential. If someone just beat it to **** on a test drive you should not take the risk....

A

PS How many Type 1 over revs along with the type 2s??

Old 07-31-2010, 08:43 AM
zzzzzeke is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ard
PS How many Type 1 over revs along with the type 2s??

I didn't receive the full DME scan. Just a note of the 300 stage 2 revs.

Still a lot of unknowns at this point.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:04 AM
ard
I didn't receive the full DME scan. Just a note of the 300 stage 2 revs.
Huh.

Rather strange, no? What did you pay for, or what did you specify in the PPI? Or did you just let them decide what they would put in the ppi?

(Rhetorical question I guess...I'd mentioned earlier what the ppi should include, and did this for precisely this reason. What is worse than not having a PPI? Answer: Being out $250 with a useless PPI)

GL

A

Old 07-31-2010, 11:40 AM
Luckily I haven't paid for anything yet. I would love to see the full report (stage 1 overrevs, the hours as noted a few posts back, etc). I have a voicemail in to the shop as of yesterday. No word back yet.

I did specifically ask for a DME scan along with a list of mods (based on pictures it looks like there's suspension and possibly exhaust on the car).

Old 08-04-2010, 03:32 AM
bajarat is infamous around these parts
Watching this thread with interest..

Old 08-04-2010, 04:03 PM
i'm walking away from this one.

car also has Tubi exhaust and H&R springs if anyone was interested.

has been inspected by RAC. Can forward on the PPI if anyone is interested.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:23 PM
kwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud of
i'm walking away from this one.

car also has Tubi exhaust and H&R springs if anyone was interested.

has been inspected by RAC. Can forward on the PPI if anyone is interested.
Did you find out if it has an aftermarket tune or not?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another: Know this Car?