996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Any thoughts on the Vivid Racing GT2 bumper?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 07:57 AM
stealthdriver is infamous around these parts
Any thoughts on the Vivid Racing GT2 bumper?

I love the 996 GT2 look and have been planning on doing this mod since I bought the car. I know Mashaw is a reputable company but the body shop I am dealing with prefers polyurethane which Vivid Raching's bumper is made out of:

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/p...ducts_id=23364

I'll probably be getting the Mashaw GT2 decklid, but after a bit of searching I can't find any feedback on the Vivid Racing bumper. Thanks for any help.

Oh, and I don't want to spend much more than 5-6k all together so even though the OEM GT2 is bumper polyurethane, that option is out.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:59 AM
big_jay is infamous around these parts
Nice upgrade!

Old 07-29-2010, 09:22 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Get the Precision Porsche one, quality is spot on, installed several here - https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...umper-why.html

Old 07-29-2010, 09:24 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
+1 on precision porsche stuff and edwin is the MAN to deal with!

Old 07-29-2010, 09:27 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Old 07-29-2010, 10:39 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
I like the one Vivid's sells,looks realy niiice¡¡

Old 07-29-2010, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the help! ill definitely check that one out . It is polyurethane right?

Old 07-29-2010, 07:35 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Nope fiberglass

Old 07-30-2010, 06:58 AM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by unvmy996
+1 on precision porsche stuff and edwin is the MAN to deal with!
Haha...thanks Nick!

Originally Posted by stealthdriver
Thanks for the help! ill definitely check that one out . It is polyurethane right?
Originally Posted by unvmy996
Nope fiberglass
Nick is correct, our GT2 bumper is fiberglass. I'm guessing your body shop prefers not to deal with fiberglass bumpers b/c if it comes out of the mold incorrectly, it's not going to be worth spending time to make it fit and prep. However, we've been here a long time and have done lots of FG projects and I believe our products are very good in quality and fitment. Check out my album. Of course we recommend the shop to test fit before painting and install but I can tell you that our GT2 bumper fits very well and is not hard to install. Please let me know if you have any questions or if I can help in any way.

Edwin

Old 07-30-2010, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by PrecisionPorsch

Nick is correct, our GT2 bumper is fiberglass. I'm guessing your body shop prefers not to deal with fiberglass bumpers b/c if it comes out of the mold incorrectly, it's not going to be worth spending time to make it fit and prep. However, we've been here a long time and have done lots of FG projects and I believe our products are very good in quality and fitment. Check out my album. Of course we recommend the shop to test fit before painting and install but I can tell you that our GT2 bumper fits very well and is not hard to install. Please let me know if you have any questions or if I can help in any way.

Edwin
That is the reason they provided. Ive got the day off finally today so Im going to go by the shop again and talk to them again the fibergalss option.

No one in this thread has even mentioned quality of the polyurethane bumper. Im not sure if its because these other products are proven to be high quality and are a bit cheaper, or if the polyurethane product is not quite up to par. But thanks again for the advise .

Old 07-30-2010, 08:35 AM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
That is the reason they provided. Ive got the day off finally today so Im going to go by the shop again and talk to them again the fibergalss option.

No one in this thread has even mentioned quality of the polyurethane bumper. Im not sure if its because these other products are proven to be high quality and are a bit cheaper, or if the polyurethane product is not quite up to par. But thanks again for the advise .
It's of course up to you on what you decide to do but I will say that some shady shops will claim that they have spent countless hours blocking, sanding and getting the bumper to fit just so they can charge you extra. I will say that we've sold a ton of fiberglass parts (front and rear bumpers, wings, sideskirts, etc) and although there were maybe one or two dissatisfied buyers (mainly b/c they just painted it and tried to install without taking the hour to test fit), we have had an overall happy and satisfied customers.

In terms of the poly bumpers, I personally dont' know who makes them (I'm guessing it's made overseas) but I have seen a few that fit well. roadsterdoc had one that I saw was aftermarket but fit well. However, if that bumper comes out of the mold wrong/warped, there's no fixing it.

Another advantage with fiberglass bumpers is that they are very easy to fix/repair compared to poly.

Edwin

Old 07-30-2010, 08:45 AM
Maurer's collision is where I'll be taking my car. There are a reputable shop and the best that specialized in Porsches.

http://www.maurerscollision.com/

I think that they are just skittish about getting an "aftermarket" item that may not fit well and polyurethane is easier to work with if it doesn't fit correctly. But they quoted me 1000-1300 for both paint and installation of the gt2 bumper and decklid which I think is a great price so we'll see.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:48 AM
Basic Sponsor
Maurer's collision is where I'll be taking my car. There are a reputable shop and the best that specialized in Porsches.

http://www.maurerscollision.com/

I think that they are just skittish about getting an "aftermarket" item that may not fit well and polyurethane is easier to work with if it doesn't fit correctly. But they quoted me 1000-1300 for both paint and installation of the gt2 bumper and decklid which I think is a great price so we'll see.
That's a great price. something to remember... poly may or may not be easier to work with b/c when you bend/force one part of the bumper to fit, there will be another part of the bumper that compensates for that and that will move (sort of like a balloon). That's a really good price though to paint and install

Edwin

Old 07-30-2010, 10:21 AM
Dude take it from me , there stuff is spot on it fits great. if the body shop is good they should not have an issue wether its poly or fiberglass . good thing about fiber glass if you hit something and crack it , you can fix it really easy.

here you go just a pic to show you ,

Old 07-30-2010, 12:20 PM
Basic Sponsor
Take a quick look at the cars that I personally worked on... fitment is very good at the minimum. All our 996 parts are tried and put through the test

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...omers-car.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...07s-turbo.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...gt3-996-a.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-new-pics.html

Edwin

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any thoughts on the Vivid Racing GT2 bumper?