996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

1st (Ethanol) E85 Porsche 911 Turbo by Prototech & Protomotive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 12:14 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
i dont think he has much to worry about in s.florida

Old 08-04-2010, 02:29 PM
keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !
In south Florida, E85 is available all year round.

If there are slight variances in fuel quality, the factory 997tt ECU has the ability to make up to 25% positive and negative compensation across Long Term & Short Term Fuel Trims.

Keith

Originally Posted by Brad Bedell
How was this compensated for the different variables in "E85" mixtures? Does the stock computer have enough adaptation to adjust to the change in different mixtures from seasonal changes and pump to pump changes?

Old 08-04-2010, 02:32 PM
needforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to behold
Can the stock wideband's read the afr's accurately with the E85? Do you change some of the constants in the computer to make it work correctly?

Old 08-04-2010, 02:34 PM
Brad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by keithta
In south Florida, E85 is available all year round.

If there are slight variances in fuel quality, the factory 997tt ECU has the ability to make up to 25% positive and negative compensation across Long Term & Short Term Fuel Trims.

Keith
Right, it's called 'E85' year round here also. But sometimes it's e65 or e90. This plays havic on fuel and timing maps. It's the biggest reason I've not switched one of my cars to it. Of course, the ECU I'm using is also not as adaptive as the Porsche unit; so this point is likely moot for you. Happy to hear your experience has been better than mine.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
I think it is always e85 there because like stated Chris Green has been using it almost a year down there. Keith and Chris are close to each other, so they should be fine.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:13 PM
keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !
Yes, the O2s function perfectly with E85.

After 1.5 bar of boost the 997 MAFs are maxed out and the O2's are then what keep the AFRs in check. Kind of scary to rely on the O2's under high loads when they periodically go bad from time to time.

We are working on an inducer to help keep AFRs in range over 1.5 bar. Once we are done, under extreme loads, short terms will be kept in check.

Much safer setup.

Keith

Originally Posted by needforspeed502
Can the stock wideband's read the afr's accurately with the E85? Do you change some of the constants in the computer to make it work correctly?

Old 08-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Been testing E85 for 4 months now nearly every time I have filled up. The quality is always atleast 85% ethanol many times it looks to be around 90%+.

So far I havent run into a bad batch. Not saying it wouldnt happen but so far we have had lots of luck around here. I know Mike at AWD Motorsports has run his EVOs straight into the 8s in the quarter mile using the same E85 pump I go to myself.

Keith

Originally Posted by Brad Bedell
Right, it's called 'E85' year round here also. But sometimes it's e65 or e90. This plays havic on fuel and timing maps. It's the biggest reason I've not switched one of my cars to it. Of course, the ECU I'm using is also not as adaptive as the Porsche unit; so this point is likely moot for you. Happy to hear your experience has been better than mine.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:40 PM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Too bad here in my town we don't have any E85,but we can get some 100%

Ethanol to improve our drinks.........get your boost hiiiiiiiiiigh

Old 08-11-2012, 10:47 PM
RufGmbH is a jewel in the roughRufGmbH is a jewel in the roughRufGmbH is a jewel in the roughRufGmbH is a jewel in the rough
Quick question Keithta

Hi There. I live in Pompano Beach and I'm pretty sure I saw your car on the lift the other day when I stopped by to check in on my Protomotive 996 TT that blew cylinder #3 (50 miles after purchase...not cool). Anyways, wanted to ask you about your experience with Prototech. I've heard mostly good things, but I've heard a few mixed things recently, and my car has been sitting there for a month pretty much collecting dust. I'm trying to decide whether I should just bite the bullet and ship it up to Todd Knighton in AK. I'm also thinking about re-sale...that Protomotive is much more well-known. Any thoughts??? Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have it done 10 minutes down the street, but I'm getting mixed signals.

Also curious to hear about your experience with E85. I figure if I've got to blow a load of money and they're in there mucking around already, why not spend a little more

Thanks,
Jason

Old 08-12-2012, 04:43 AM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
Jason,

I had protomotive do my full build with e85, it was Todd's first in house e85 build and he was amazed at the performance. First the e85 is amazing and its about $1/gal cheaper than pump for race gas returns, its a no brainer as long as you have it readily available. The conversion is pricey if done right, all fittings and seals will have to be replaced as e85 will eat them over time.

As for taking the car to Protomotive, I made the mistake of convenience when having other setups installed, I literally took years trying to right the problems. I dont know Prototech, but I do know Todd, Cyn and company - I give my highest recommendations without any reservations.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:32 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RufGmbH
Hi There. I live in Pompano Beach and I'm pretty sure I saw your car on the lift the other day when I stopped by to check in on my Protomotive 996 TT that blew cylinder #3 (50 miles after purchase...not cool). Anyways, wanted to ask you about your experience with Prototech. I've heard mostly good things, but I've heard a few mixed things recently, and my car has been sitting there for a month pretty much collecting dust. I'm trying to decide whether I should just bite the bullet and ship it up to Todd Knighton in AK. I'm also thinking about re-sale...that Protomotive is much more well-known. Any thoughts??? Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have it done 10 minutes down the street, but I'm getting mixed signals.

Also curious to hear about your experience with E85. I figure if I've got to blow a load of money and they're in there mucking around already, why not spend a little more

Thanks,
Jason
prototech is great and they do great work , and they also work with Tood K. so i wouldnt worry about re sale.

the reason why your car is probably still sitting there is , they probably have a lot of cars to do before yours.

did you ask them when they will start your car ?

Old 08-12-2012, 11:40 AM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DEEPBLUE
Jason,

I had protomotive do my full build with e85, it was Todd's first in house e85 build and he was amazed at the performance. First the e85 is amazing and its about $1/gal cheaper than pump for race gas returns, its a no brainer as long as you have it readily available. The conversion is pricey if done right, all fittings and seals will have to be replaced as e85 will eat them over time.

As for taking the car to Protomotive, I made the mistake of convenience when having other setups installed, I literally took years trying to right the problems. I dont know Prototech, but I do know Todd, Cyn and company - I give my highest recommendations without any reservations.
Im thinking seriously about talking to Protomotive about converting to E85. I have only run a couple tanks of race gas and def dont plan on running it full time due to the fact that I rarely have a need to go into boost over 1.1bar and at $11.50 a gal its just not cost effective. Could you tell me.what you know about the swap to E85? I already feel like I have a good.base for which to make good use of E85 with a set of GT3076's, intercoolers and whatnot. I am.assuming ill need fuel pump upgrades as.well as lines and injectors. What else is involved other than those items mentioned and of course tuning? Thanks for the input.

Last edited by triblk6spd; 08-12-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by triblk6spd
Im thinking seriously about talking to Protomotive about converting to E85. I have only run a couple tanks of race gas and def dont plan on running it full time due to the fact that I rarely have a need to go into boost over 1.1bar and at $11.50 a gal its just not cost effective. Could you tell me.what you know about the swap to E85? I already feel like I have a good.base for which to make good use of E85 with a set of GT3076's, intercoolers and whatnot. I am.assuming ill need fuel pump upgrades as.well as lines and injectors. What else is involved other than those items mentioned and of course tuning? Thanks for the input.
basicly what you said , a complete new fuel system, that can handle the increased flow, since you need 20% more fuel with the e85. and a retune , thats it.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Pizzamangtr is a splendid one to beholdPizzamangtr is a splendid one to beholdPizzamangtr is a splendid one to beholdPizzamangtr is a splendid one to beholdPizzamangtr is a splendid one to beholdPizzamangtr is a splendid one to beholdPizzamangtr is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by DEEPBLUE
Jason,

Who said that e85 will eat threw lines and fittings? I call bs. Only cars that this is a problem for is is pre early 90's cars. Our government made automotive companies use ethanol safe lines ect way back then. The evo's, rsx type s,s2000's, that are year 2000till now. Have run on stock fuel lines for years now on e85 without issue. Sounds like a p-car tax scheme to me.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:45 AM
JETmn is infamous around these partsJETmn is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Pizzamangtr
Who said that e85 will eat threw lines and fittings? I call bs. Only cars that this is a problem for is is pre early 90's cars. Our government made automotive companies use ethanol safe lines ect way back then. The evo's, rsx type s,s2000's, that are year 2000till now. Have run on stock fuel lines for years now on e85 without issue. Sounds like a p-car tax scheme to me.
That is exactly right. E85 is very easy on the fuel components in a car, unlike E98. That 15% gas included makes a world of difference. DSM/EVO's have been running E85 basically since it became popular in the midwest (5 years on mine) with no issues. It is actually better than most race gas because of the inherent cooling properties. I run 32psi on it (non porsche) and I am not pushing it yet, that is just the limits of my turbo at 7k. It is great stuff!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 1st (Ethanol) E85 Porsche 911 Turbo by Prototech & Protomotive