996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Carpet color change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 05:58 AM
bsprad is infamous around these parts
Carpet color change

The nice thing about Porsche is the ability to get everything customized to your own taste. The downside is that your preferences might different than the next owner.

That's where I am. I love the exterior/interior color combination of my car, but I'm not crazy about the carpet color on the floor and the bottom half of the doors. I'd like to change the color from a light brown to a navy blue or black. Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to go about this?

I could try to buy replacements from Porsche, but it seems to me that I could probably dye the existing pieces and save a bunch of money.

Thoughts?

Old 08-06-2010, 06:23 AM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
I would check with some of the dismantlers. They should have some carpet sets available. Or if you have lots of $$ you could go direct to Porsche.
Your car looks really sweet from the avitar. Hopefully you will make to one of the VA/MD events so I can check out your car in person.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:38 AM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
You can dye it. I was doing a restoration a few years ago and dyed all the faded gray carpets black. Looked like a new car.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by Gunther
I would check with some of the dismantlers. They should have some carpet sets available. Or if you have lots of $$ you could go direct to Porsche.
Your car looks really sweet from the avitar. Hopefully you will make to one of the VA/MD events so I can check out your car in person.
Is there a dismantler that you recommend or one that you have worked with in the past? That's a good idea that I hadn't thought of. I know that the metropol blue carpet would look fantastic. Thanks for the compliment on the car. I'll be at the Chesapeake PCA region crab feast on 08/14. I'm in the Potomac region, but the crab feast is being held about 1/4mile from my house.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:31 AM
Originally Posted by tvurt
You can dye it. I was doing a restoration a few years ago and dyed all the faded gray carpets black. Looked like a new car.
Can you describe the dye and process that you used? Did it make the carpet stiff? I'm concerned that if I dye then it won't look factory.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bsprad
Is there a dismantler that you recommend or one that you have worked with in the past? That's a good idea that I hadn't thought of. I know that the metropol blue carpet would look fantastic. Thanks for the compliment on the car. I'll be at the Chesapeake PCA region crab feast on 08/14. I'm in the Potomac region, but the crab feast is being held about 1/4mile from my house.
I do not have one that I can recommend. But if you look in Panorama magazine they have a number of them listed. The closest is in NC.

Dying is a vialable idea but you will have to be carefull as dyed items have a tendancy to transfer the color to things that come into contact with it for a period of time.

Enjoy the crab fest. I went last year and had a blast. Won't be making this year. Hopefully they have the Crab races again

Old 08-07-2010, 04:41 AM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...mString=search

I used this to change the entire carpet in my jeep going from tan to black. Worked like a charm.