996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Need advice on 996tt purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 12:59 PM
frankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to all
Originally Posted by am350z
yeah, saw that on cl. looks nice. Is 55k miles too much. Another member here as an 03 with 19k miles for sale but not x50 which looks really nice. I am inclined to buy from a member here but it he would like 16k more.
I appreciate your anxiety over a "high mileage" car, like that. If a Porsche is properly maintained, then mileage is a non-issue. Porsche's, especially.

They are kinda like motorcycles. The worse thing you can do is NOT drive them. The older, low-mileage ones can often have worse issues than Porsche's that have been properly driven and maintained.

Again, ask for records, have the PPI done by someone you trust, and get the best deal you can. Keep in mind, this is not a "poor-man's game." These are the highest-level performance cars in the world. That always comes with a price. "You got to pay to play" this game, sir!

Old 08-11-2010, 01:01 PM
frankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to all
Originally Posted by KingBull
FYI: I'm also in Houston and recently bought my 2001 996 TT: Seal Grey, 19k miles, 6-speed, bone-stock, no paintwork for $42k. Akram at www.mwhouston.com did the PPI for me. Email me at raj@lamborghinihouston.com if you wanna talk ...
Thanks, Raj. I didn't want to be as obvious as that, but I have to support everything you say, here. Akram is the man!

Old 08-11-2010, 01:41 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by frankster
Don't u be thinking about sellin don't make me drag up here in Alabama to kick yer *** Frankster yer a big boy but those are fighting werds ;-)

Sorry to upset ya, brother, I am TOO FAR INVESTED in this car to consider selling her, ANYTIME, SOON!

Between those HAND-BUILT protomotive turbos, the custom BBi exhaust, and that ROCKIN "cup-car" transmission, not to mention all the TLC that Akram has showered on this car, there is NO AMOUNT OF MONEY that could justify selling her.

I am well aware of just how special this beauty is, and I intend to enjoy every minute of my time with her!

I honestly believe this is an heirloom quality car that should be passed on to the next generation to enjoy . . . provided society will still be driving gasoline-powered cars, by then!

Besides, we have plenty of 60-130 events and track days to cross swords over, my friend!

atta boy, ive been lookin at street bikes to bring some compeition your way on the track too

Old 08-11-2010, 01:55 PM
am350z is infamous around these parts
Its great to have so many 911 owners in Houston active here. I really appreciate the help. I definitely gotta join you guys out some time once I get my hands on one. Frankster, I need to see that beast but am afraid I will get the upgrade bug. Already been browsing to get some mod ideas and I don't even own one yet!

Old 08-11-2010, 02:07 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Its great to have so many 911 ners in Houston active here. I really appreciate the help. I definitely gotta join you guys out some time once I get my hands on one. Frankster, I need to see that beast but am afraid I will get the upgrade bug. Already been browsing to get some mod ideas and I don't even own one yet!
yea Frank drove my car around and was like no way i can let william be faster

but Robmd and his 1120rwhp monster isnt a very good influence either

Pick a good one to start with other wise you'll be in deep to make it right,

-William

Old 08-15-2010, 03:51 PM
I would love to hear the forums opinion on:

2003 996tt 16k miles, sport seats. Champion wheels, upgraded exhaust and ecu for $59k

vs

2002 996tt X50, 59k miles, aero kit, gt2 wing for $43k

Assuming both have an acceptable ppi. I plan to do a few upgrades but nothing crazy for a little bit. Not my daily driver, will be weekend car with occasional track session.

Last edited by am350z; 08-15-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:01 PM
If the 02 car was nice n didn't show all the wear I would take it over the 03 car low miles is nice but things dry out n crack from not enough use

Old 08-15-2010, 04:35 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OS Inspector
If the 02 car was nice n didn't show all the wear I would take it over the 03 car low miles is nice but things dry out n crack from not enough use
Yup...and the X50 is just a ~$1500 turbo upgrade to 18g's...low mileage ain't all that...

Old 08-15-2010, 04:39 PM
Only $1500, I thought the x50 was like 17k more. I guess you mean aftermarket turbo price?

Old 08-15-2010, 04:42 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Only $1500, I thought the x50 was like 17k more. I guess you mean aftermarket turbo price?
18g UPGRADE. The X50 car already has K24's. You can send them out to be upgraded to 18g's and upgraded waste gates for ~$1500. The low mileage car only has K16's.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:49 PM
Good to know! The savings of 16k would go a long ways towards upgrades and maintenance!

Old 08-15-2010, 10:15 PM
willieboy is a jewel in the roughwillieboy is a jewel in the roughwillieboy is a jewel in the rough
I would love to hear the forums opinion on:

2003 996tt 16k miles, sport seats. Champion wheels, upgraded exhaust and ecu for $59k

vs

2002 996tt X50, 59k miles, aero kit, gt2 wing for $43k

Assuming both have an acceptable ppi. I plan to do a few upgrades but nothing crazy for a little bit. Not my daily driver, will be weekend car with occasional track session.
If the 2002 checks out I think it's the better buy. Just my two cents.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:33 AM
Durango Kid has a spectacular aura aboutDurango Kid has a spectacular aura about
Steal this car!

http://www.momentumporsche.com/certi...be040c0232.htm

I know there has been much debate on the merits of this car and Momentum in general, but if the CPO still applies and it's an X-50... This has to be on somebody's buy it today list.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:40 AM
Steal this car!
http://www.momentumporsche.com/certi...be040c0232.htm

I know there has been much debate on the merits of this car and Momentum in general, but if the CPO still applies and it's an X-50... This has to be on somebody's buy it today list.

Thanks for sharing, but the problem is the CPO. Momentum Porsche is lying about the CPO. There is no such thing for ANY car more than three years old.

They will sell the EZ Care warranty with it.

Plus, after seeing two years of Momentum's "maintenance work", I would NEVER buy a car that has been serviced or even touched by their technicians!

Old 08-17-2010, 10:15 AM
Durango Kid has a spectacular aura aboutDurango Kid has a spectacular aura about
Point taken.

My own experience with Momentum has not be favorable and I would hesitate before buying anything from them.

I tried to buy an '04 tt earlier in the year and have still a sour taste in my mouth from the experience.

About a month ago, I called to get info on another car and was never called back with the info. I was interested in the car, so I reached out a second time. The salesman again promised to send me the info I requested and to this day I have never heard back.

The Lord works in mysterious ways, maybe that's why I never bought a car from them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need advice on 996tt purchase