996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

ECU mod or flash download??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 11:35 PM
willieboy is a jewel in the roughwillieboy is a jewel in the roughwillieboy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Fun is a big understatement. 4th is ......
For sure

Old 09-11-2010, 05:31 AM
ponzz is infamous around these parts
There is a strange dichotomy between this site and RL. RL posters seem to endorse UMW while here its EPL. Can there really be that much difference between two seemingly reputable flashes when it comes to a stock 01 996tt with no other planned mods?

I am not looking to really beat on the car, so an extra 75hp would be more than fine. I am concerned with the added stress on the engine and clutch. Car currently has 23k miles and is going in for a major service next week where diverter valves will be upgraded as well.

Has anyone experienced clutch/engine issues after their flash?

Old 09-11-2010, 05:47 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ponzz
There is a strange dichotomy between this site and RL. RL posters seem to endorse UMW while here its EPL. Can there really be that much difference between two seemingly reputable flashes when it comes to a stock 01 996tt with no other planned mods?

I am not looking to really beat on the car, so an extra 75hp would be more than fine. I am concerned with the added stress on the engine and clutch. Car currently has 23k miles and is going in for a major service next week where diverter valves will be upgraded as well.

I did an exhaust and EPL flash at the same time on my 45k mile car. Clutch lasted 2 weeks. Picked up 80whp and over120ft/lbs. I've heard the same about UMW tunes...

Old 09-11-2010, 06:22 AM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
I've done flash (EPL) last week. I already had an exhaust...Now I'm waiting for the clutch to begin slipping....
But now I think everyone should do a flash...car is so much smoother AND powerfull, throttle response is just perfect. And this is with an off the shelf tune. I am about to buy a custom one + EPL datalogging software. Then add some real turbos

Old 09-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Giac has been doing this far longer... Todd at Protomotive as well... Look up the 2004 P car shootout with Excellence Mag. and see who beat everyone down... none of your mentioned tuner names were there as tuner/programmers. And I do not disrespect them by no means. I think EPl is doing a great job... UWM has his own thing going and clients love his work... We have our own flashes that are custom tuned by Todd. Look beyond the obvious and choose wisely....
EPl is a 6speed sponsor. UWM is a RL sponsor. Its doesn't take much to figure out why each board pulls for their own...
Good luck and stop stressing everyone out with your entry level questions lol
do the flash your car will thank you....
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 09-12-2010, 06:43 AM
ponzz is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the insight. With zero Porsche experience, I may need to ask stupid questions; my corvette was pretty easy to tear apart, while the Porsche scares the hell out of me. (speaking of...is there a manual way to check the oil?)

I am trying to be a more productive member of the boards here rather than just drawing from it; I actually posted something from my experience in "in car cameras" under the tech section, which I hoped helped others in making a decision.

While I may not have much to offer just yet in the way of 996tt knowledge, I am a tax attorney and would love to field some tax related matters. I've gained a fair amount of knowledge here and wouldn't mind "giving back."

Old 10-13-2010, 11:25 AM
Simi_996 is infamous around these partsSimi_996 is infamous around these parts

Ponzz, thanks for putting this "entry level" question out there. I am a new 996TT owner as well and I have the same questions as you do. UMW and EPL are both at the same price point and I am still not sure which one to go with. Even after doing my research at RL and 6speed, there's still no real clear cut winner...which still keeps me on the fence.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:36 PM
Banned
Robin@EPL is infamous around these parts
What questions can I answer to get you off the fence?

Old 10-13-2010, 02:07 PM
I'm on the fence because I can't decide (I know...it sounds a little stupid). You get a lot of endorsements for both companies and apparently both companies provide great support. It would be excellent to have a pros and cons list comparing both tunes, but that doesn't exist.

So, besides someone saying give me $1K because mine is better...what would get me off the fence is good solid reason to choose one over the other (price would be a good reason all things being equal, but both companies are running specials now).

Decisions...decisions.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:16 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
1) EPL is super easy to install. 2) Customer support is stellar. 3) Software options including (launch control, etc...) 4) I'm a dealer for them and they are cool. :-)

Old 10-13-2010, 02:26 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
EPL pro's:

- Super easy flash procedure
- I like how smooth the car runs and the BETTER throttle behaviour.
- Cool features available such LC and brake boost.
- You can purchase their high speed datalogging software and customize the tune.
- Very cheap "re-tunes" if you add mods along the way.

I don't know the other products on the market, so I'm not saying they could not have the same pro's.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:22 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
I was VERY HAPPY working with Todd @ Protomotive

He went above and beyond to help me get everything dialed in, including helping me troubleshoot a few things.

Class act, that is all I can say. There may be other good tuners out there, but I see no reason to change.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:01 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Very interesting and perceptive question.

I think RL has more 'technical/engineer' types, who tend to be drawn to the "UMW way"... logical, technical support, Kevin willing to do the educating, owners wanting to get under the hood, do their own durametric pulls, etc.

6spd is more of a party- values based on social circles, what's popular, who hypes up which...

Personally, it was imperative for me to have the tech support so I went with Kevin. Our styles meshed. However if I lived next door to Tony (or my local tuner was an EPL user) I might choose an EPL.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:14 PM
DrF
DrF is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ttboost
I did an exhaust and EPL flash at the same time on my 45k mile car. Clutch lasted 2 weeks. Picked up 80whp and over120ft/lbs. I've heard the same about UMW tunes...
I have a stock 2005 tts with 13k miles. Epl flash made the car crazy fast, but my clutch gave out after a couple of weeks. Flashed to stock and clutch works fine again. I'm trying to figure out what clutch I should put in and who will do it in the bay area.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by DrF
I have a stock 2005 tts with 13k miles. Epl flash made the car crazy fast, but my clutch gave out after a couple of weeks. Flashed to stock and clutch works fine again. I'm trying to figure out what clutch I should put in and who will do it in the bay area.
Does EPL's product give you the flexibility to flash to and from the modified timings any time you want?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ECU mod or flash download??