996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

ECU mod or flash download??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 08:23 PM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Simi_996
Ponzz, thanks for putting this "entry level" question out there. I am a new 996TT owner as well and I have the same questions as you do. UMW and EPL are both at the same price point and I am still not sure which one to go with. Even after doing my research at RL and 6speed, there's still no real clear cut winner...which still keeps me on the fence.
I'm in the same boat as well. I feel that you can't go wrong when there are so many happy customers on this board with several different tunes. Prices vary quite a bit as well from $1k-$2k for an entry level flash. Most tuners seem to offer a full or significant trade in when you upgrade tunes which is great. I guess what keeps me on the fence with jumping on some of the flash deals is that these tuners are not local to me. I can't drive my car down to their shop and have someone look at the car if something is wrong. With Sharkwerks being local for me I lean toward the EVO software since that is what they offer. I like the guys I met when I visited as well. On the other hand EVO software is on the higher end of the price spectrum and I'm not sure if it offers any more or less than the other tunes. Lucky for me I am patient about things and willing to put in the research to make sure I get it right. The only thing I know is that I WILL get a tune.

Decisions, decisions...

Old 10-14-2010, 09:54 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
I think that you will get alot of EPL fanfare here, but also other car makes and forums. I do not have EPL, but I would in a second based on prior purchases from them and their service. I have spoken to Kevin at UMW and he is very helpful and knowledgable as well. I am not sure about UMW, but EPL writes their own software there and they have great on-site support and code knowledge. Other Audi friends have had custom code changes in a day without issues or downtime. Try to get that from an off the shelf GIAC tune? No way. Personally I would never buy a tune from somebody that cannot get changes as needed.

Another thing to consider is that some "tuners" don't actually write code. They pay somebody else in Europe or even the states to do it for them and they tag their name on it. I would run away from those guys as fast as you can. You want to be communicating with the people that are at least in the same state as the tuner This will get a timely response to tuning changes and issues.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:00 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Does EPL's product give you the flexibility to flash to and from the modified timings any time you want?
UMW is the same. I have a stock program, valet, 91 octane and 100 octane files

Old 10-14-2010, 11:12 PM
Simi_996 is infamous around these partsSimi_996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ard
UMW is the same. I have a stock program, valet, 91 octane and 100 octane files
I believe tho for UMW, you need to buy the hand held flash device in order to reprogram as needed...which almost doubles the price. The basic $1K special only includes the rental of the device for 2 weeks. I see EPL touting that the $1K special includes a cable...but what else can we do with that cable?

Old 10-14-2010, 11:32 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
I believe tho for UMW, you need to buy the hand held flash device in order to reprogram as needed...which almost doubles the price. The basic $1K special only includes the rental of the device for 2 weeks. I see EPL touting that the $1K special includes a cable...but what else can we do with that cable?
yeah, I dunno- i wasn't talking about price- just responding to functionality.

To me price wasn't a major criteria, it it was I'd buy an Upsolute.

To be honest, I rarely swap files-

Old 10-14-2010, 11:48 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
I am somewhat biased towards EPL because Tony has been a friend of mine for over 2 years and even before I had an EPL tune he was there to answer all of my questions. He has tuned both of my setups including the current one when it made 843rwhp on a stock DME. He knows the ME7.8 so well it still boggles my mind! If you knew how he learned and his background in programming you would understand that everything is done in house including his own flashing tool. Let's just say I've been using it for a long while. With the addition of Robin and guys at the shop like Dave you cannot go wrong. The Powell family will have another EPL tuned vehicle maybe as early as next week! We will be taking a 997TT and give it some loving really soon. My brother will not be going as crazy as me though, because he hates changin fuels, etc...

Old 11-21-2010, 02:47 PM
code7rpd has a spectacular aura aboutcode7rpd has a spectacular aura about
Does going with EPL cause any problems with emissions in California? I think EPL allows the post cat o2 sensors to be disabled as well if you get exhaust Cel's but does that cause problems with Ca smog?

Old 11-22-2010, 03:02 PM
Banned
Robin@EPL is infamous around these parts
Yes, it passes California smog with no problem and we have a very solid 91 octane tune for you.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:21 PM
ard
Originally Posted by code7rpd
Does going with EPL cause any problems with emissions in California? I think EPL allows the post cat o2 sensors to be disabled as well if you get exhaust Cel's but does that cause problems with Ca smog?

Originally Posted by Robin@EPL
Yes, it passes California smog with no problem and we have a very solid 91 octane tune for you.
Technically it is not "CA legal" but will "pass" if you don't tell them.

As I understand it, turning off the O2s will give on one 'readiness not set' code... so if there other issues with the car, or you've recently done a reset, it COULD take some time to set all the other readiness codes.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ard
Technically it is not "CA legal" but will "pass" if you don't tell them.

As I understand it, turning off the O2s will give on one 'readiness not set' code... so if there other issues with the car, or you've recently done a reset, it COULD take some time to set all the other readiness codes.
I could be wrong, but I believe that only occurs with 2005 OBDII.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:47 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Most flashes will pass california smog. Being AWD, the turbos don't even get on the rollers. Your biggest issue will be passing the "visual" test if you have an exhaust. If the smog guy is a d*ck, then he'll fail you after doing the whole test pass or fail for having aftermarket cats. That happened to me a few years ago.

Make sure the smog place is cool before takling your car there.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Banned
Robin@EPL is infamous around these parts
It doesn't need to go on the rollers, but if they plug in and see a catalyst efficiency code, they won't even need to look under the car.