996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

ECU mod or flash download??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 08:29 PM
willieboy is a jewel in the roughwillieboy is a jewel in the roughwillieboy is a jewel in the rough
ECU mod or flash download??

Okay, you guys gave me the bug! Now I'm researching the ECU/flash thing. I think I understand but want the experts to chime in please. If I understand it, some companies want you to send them your ECU and they do there upgrade and send it back. Then I read about the EPL type flash which comes to me and I download it myself. What's the best way to go? It seems most of the "send out" companies are around $2,000.00. The EPL flash is about $1,000.00. There must be some differences. My car is a 2001 996TT and is bone stock. I'm having the mufflers drilled on Monday. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ler-996tt.html. Eventually I will get a full exhaust like a Europipe. Ordering the Billet diverter valves now from GMG. Just trying to get to around 480HP. Any input? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by willieboy; 08-06-2010 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Adding link
Old 08-06-2010, 09:12 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
I'm not a fan of promoting tunners. But do yourself a favor and get a UMW tune.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:29 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
My input is get the exhaust ASAP.

There are several respected tuners, EPL being one of them. GIAC, EVO, PROTOMOTIVE, UMW, FVD...

I have used GIAC with great success. I believe there are more GIAC flashed 996s than everything else combined.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:35 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
The portable flash loader is fast and easy and you can change between multiple programs yourself. There is no real difference in the ones that you send the ECU away to have reprogrammed. It's all code but some companies have not invested in the portable flash loaders.

+1 for UMW.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:46 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
I'm flashing my car tomorrow morning with the EPL Tune, I'll post my impressions this weekend. So far, customer support has been remarkable. I have had several questions and I received responses to all of them within minutes.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:52 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
We not only let you upload remotely at your convenience but also custom tune as well via the datalogs you provide... all done via the cable you get...
there are off the shelf flashes that are base files and there are custom specific files as well... prices change accordingly...
good luck,
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 08-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
EPL requested some specific information on my car when I called - location, octane, altitude, mods, etc; but I would agree actual data logging to configure the best tune would be optimal. I believe they are working on or currently have that ability as well.............oweee, oweee...........sorry that is the best "I wanna be a guinea pig" imitation I could conjure in type format!

Old 08-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Durango Kid has a spectacular aura aboutDurango Kid has a spectacular aura about
So I've got this bug too. After professing that I would not modify the car, my mind is open to the idea. It's hard to ignore 80 hp for $1500.

Here are my concerns, I had a check engine light come on yesterday. I about crapped my pants.

I drove my car for about a quarter mile with gas cap off. Don't ask.

The dealership reset the light and no harm no foul. I also had a overboost code and the service manager asked if I had chipped the car.

This makes me wonder though ... are their increased incidents of check engine lights after you flash the CPU? Can you check and reset these yourself?

Can the stock intercoolers, turbos, and diverter valve cope with the additional boost?

Old 08-07-2010, 10:07 AM
willieboy is a jewel in the roughwillieboy is a jewel in the roughwillieboy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
We not only let you upload remotely at your convenience but also custom tune as well via the datalogs you provide... all done via the cable you get...
there are off the shelf flashes that are base files and there are custom specific files as well... prices change accordingly...
good luck,
markski
Great info there for sure. Perhaps you could expand on the datelog thing? I have researched GIAC, Softstronic, EPL, EVO Motorsport etc to a point. How does one choose the right company. Everybody says they have the product. I'm not wanting to send my ECU out so it's going to be a download application for sure. I knew this would happen if I hung around this forum long enough!

Originally Posted by Nikolas
EPL requested some specific information on my car when I called - location, octane, altitude, mods, etc; but I would agree actual data logging to configure the best tune would be optimal. I believe they are working on or currently have that ability as well.............oweee, oweee...........sorry that is the best "I wanna be a guinea pig" imitation I could conjure in type format!
Looking forward to hearing what you think for sure Nikolas.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Banned
Robin@EPL is infamous around these parts
Willie, we have invested hundreds of hours of testing and development to make sure your EPL flash is better than the rest... from our high-speed data acquisition ability, to features like launch control and at-home flashing, I'm sure you'll be impressed.

We can offer you a path down the eventual addicting road of modifying your turbo... start with this basic reflash and we'll support you if you decide to upgrade to larger turbos or different hardware in the future!

Just sent you a PM...

Old 08-07-2010, 12:03 PM
Well I successfully flashed the car this morning with the EPL tune. I had a little trouble at first, but it was all me. My laptop has USB ports only on the right side so the cable came unplugged (it was morning and no coffee). After I realized it was just the cable, I restarted the process. After 5 minutes it was done. My car is no longer a virgin.

All I can say is WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The added power is obvious, but the car just seems to run so much smoother. My car consistently hits 1.0 bar at WOT and I am amazed at the difference .3 bar makes.

Very, very pleased so far. I'm going out for a much longer drive at noon.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:10 PM
Well I successfully flashed the car this morning with the EPL tune. I had a little trouble at first, but it was all me. My laptop has USB ports only on the right side so the cable came unplugged (it was morning and no coffee). After I realized it was just the cable, I restarted the process. After 5 minutes it was done. My car is no longer a virgin.

All I can say is WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The added power is obvious, but the car just seems to run so much smoother. My car consistently hits 1.0 bar at WOT and I am amazed at the difference .3 bar makes.

Thank you for the quick feedback! Appreciate it very much

Old 08-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Banned
Robin@EPL is infamous around these parts

Glad to hear you're enjoying it! 4th gear is fun

Old 08-07-2010, 01:18 PM
EPL flash coming. After talking to Robin at EPL I am going to try their flash. They give you 30 days to love it or leave it. That tells me they are confident in the product. Robin was a great help on the phone answered all my questions. Thank you Robin for your time today. I will post results once I get it into the car.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Just got back again. 4th gear is a totally different beast. Thankfully I have a V1.

I think you will really enjoy the transformation.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ECU mod or flash download??