996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Misfire Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 02:58 PM
btapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of light
Misfire Question

Gents,

Looking for some help. I have the mods in my signature. I recently had 72 lb. injectors installed and left the 5 BAR FPR (for now) due to availability. Car drove fine on Friday on the way home from the shop but I did notice some hesitation a few times in between gears at WOT. Had a track event planned and made it 1/2 way through one session and the CEL came on with a few misfire codes. Found a place across from the track and swapped the plugs, I think they were NGK or something since that was all that was available at the time. Same problem again. I limped home and the car was running poorly.. Sputtering and missing pretty bad. I can reset the ECU and the car seems to run o.k. for a moment then the CEL comes on again. Changed the coil packs, same issue. Cleaned the MAF thinking that may be causing the issue.. No dice. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Car was perfect before the injector install on Friday.. They had the quick connects so I doubt that any of them are loose..

Old 08-08-2010, 03:08 PM
btapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of light
Just unplugged the ECU and the CEL immediately came on. It smells pig rich too!

Old 08-08-2010, 03:33 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
You need a retune if you change injectors or the FPR. While those are both easy things to replace, the ECU needs to know that there are different parameters to live within...

Old 08-08-2010, 03:47 PM
Thanks ttboost. It was retuned.. I may call EPL and see if I can reload the flash, maybe that is the issue.. I wonder why it drove fine for the first day??

Old 08-08-2010, 04:19 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by btapp
Thanks ttboost. It was retuned.. I may call EPL and see if I can reload the flash, maybe that is the issue.. I wonder why it drove fine for the first day??
Maybe it was trying to adapt for a day and failed?

Old 08-09-2010, 01:34 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Hmm ge the exact codes but sounds like they got fouled again. Either that or one of the coil pack plugs came off? Try checking those and or pull a plug..

Old 08-09-2010, 01:39 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Don't forget you can use the drive links on Durametric to shut down each individual cylinder to determine which one has the misfire.
Frank

Old 08-09-2010, 05:05 AM
Thanks. Any chance that the tune may have not loaded properly? I thought about asking if I could reload just to eliminate that as a cause. I cleaned the MAF sensor with electronic cleaner so that isn't the problem.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by btapp
Thanks. Any chance that the tune may have not loaded properly? I thought about asking if I could reload just to eliminate that as a cause. I cleaned the MAF sensor with electronic cleaner so that isn't the problem.
Sure... Ill set you up to reload if you would like. Lets get the proper fuel pressure regulator in the car before we do anything else!

Old 08-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
Sure... Ill set you up to reload if you would like. Lets get the proper fuel pressure regulator in the car before we do anything else!
Sounds good. I didn't even mention you guys since you, Robin and Dave have been so great to deal with. In addition I don't think it is a tune related issue unless it just didn't load the first time which may have happened.

Thanks Tony..

Old 08-09-2010, 02:43 PM
jqhayden is infamous around these parts
Exact same problem I'm having.
see post: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...96tt-here.html

My shop is still puzzled...

I'm interested to find out what your problem is, and I'll let you know when I find mine.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:29 PM
jqhayden is infamous around these parts
btapp,
See my earlier post, my problem was finally fixed with replacing the MAF (not cleaning it). The codes kept saying misfires though. I would try replacing the MAF. My shop switched one off another 996tt to see if that was the issue before ordering a new one.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:46 AM
Originally Posted by jqhayden
btapp,
See my earlier post, my problem was finally fixed with replacing the MAF (not cleaning it). The codes kept saying misfires though. I would try replacing the MAF. My shop switched one off another 996tt to see if that was the issue before ordering a new one.
Good information, thank you. I just passed this along as well. I may have to do the ole try and buy!

Old 08-12-2010, 07:46 AM
Originally Posted by jqhayden
btapp,
One thought.. I also disconnected the MAF and the car still ran like crap, I assume that may rule that out as a problem. Not sure but just wanted to pass this along.