996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Have any of you high boost guys logged knock activity?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 07:47 PM
schnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant future
Have any of you high boost guys logged knock activity?

I've been doing a lot of logging lately on my car, and getting frustrated with the high knock voltages on pump (but, the correction factor remains decent). Curious if any of you guys have the ability to log this, and if so, what kind of activity you see on pump (hopefully some CA guys will speak up, since our gas is crap).

I'm poking around trying to find data on other VAG vehicles, since this weekend we did some listening on a knock stethoscope while doing logging, and what we heard did not correspond to the knock voltages we were seeing. I know it's a different car, but I'm curious to see if the knock sensors are the same/similar. Thanks!

Old 02-10-2005, 11:16 PM
schnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant future
You guys aren't very technical are you

Old 02-11-2005, 06:56 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
The knock sensors are similar, but don't have any issues that you speak of. Our sensor are tuned for a little more noise just from the nature of the motor.

Old 02-11-2005, 10:36 AM
mpwrmodena is infamous around these parts
An AEM wideband is the best tool for fine tuning a motor. Its a 60mm gauge display that fits in any standard pod. I install them in every single, Supra, skyline and c2 turbo. They are very accurate and havnt failed me yet. If you interested in buying one, please Pm me.
-Daniel

Old 02-11-2005, 10:45 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Actually they will not catch all. Watching knock count along with the AFR is the best way. The widebands still will not pick up sub denotation nor react fast enough while tuning to catch if you plot a cell to aggressive. Between the two you have a good set of eyes and ears.

Old 02-11-2005, 10:51 AM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally posted by mpwrmodena
An AEM wideband is the best tool for fine tuning a motor. Its a 60mm gauge display that fits in any standard pod. I install them in every single, Supra, skyline and c2 turbo. They are very accurate and havnt failed me yet.
Agreed. This is the one I have mounted in my console:

Craig

Old 02-11-2005, 11:31 AM
Yah, definitely need an AFR gauge - still trying to work out some fueling issues on these cars though, we did some testing with a wideband hanging out the rear (testpipes, so no cats) and changing primary and secondary fueling wasn't changing the ratio at all. We basically think the ecu throws a lot of fueling at the car whenever the boost is high.

Glad to hear you guys don't have these issues - I'll keep digging and try to get to the bottom of the knock sensitivity. Thanks!

Old 02-11-2005, 12:22 PM
Ruiner is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by PorschePhD
Actually they will not catch all. Watching knock count along with the AFR is the best way. The widebands still will not pick up sub denotation nor react fast enough while tuning to catch if you plot a cell to aggressive. Between the two you have a good set of eyes and ears.
EGT is always a good indicator as well.

Old 02-11-2005, 01:13 PM
The 3 gauges you need are EGT, Wideband, and boost to keep an eye on everything.
-Daniel

Old 02-11-2005, 02:24 PM
EGT typically won't do much in the long run. It is fine once the car is tuned as a point of reference. To use it a as tuning tool creates an issue as every car has a different starting point. Once set then you can use it to know if an issue is coming up.

Old 02-11-2005, 07:02 PM
Egt will tell you that your cooking your motor and to get out of boost. If you plan on installing one in your car mount it right behind the turbo exhaust housing.
-Daniel

Old 02-11-2005, 07:49 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Why wouldn't you simply monitor secondary o2 sensors? They contantly show level of lean/rich and the wiring is already there. A specific voltage translates into a specific A/f ratio.

Old 02-11-2005, 08:03 PM
rmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of light
It is the primary o2 sensors that are wideband. And yes you can log it easily with many tools. I like this one - http://www.ghg.net/dharrison/

Old 02-11-2005, 08:13 PM
Egt will tell you that your cooking your motor and to get out of boost. If you plan on installing one in your car mount it right behind the turbo exhaust housing
If you are using a wideband you will know long before this happens. The problem is the EGT for EVERY car is different based on various things. I tune standalone EFIs all day and I can tell you that most of the time an EGT is worthless with the exception of telling you that the car is cool. Like I said, once you tune the car and know where all things are best then take an EGT reading. This then becomes the norm. It will be different then what it was before you started so you have NO base what is a fair EGT and what is dangerous. If you looked at an EGT for a 930 and compared it to a 996TT you would assume that the motor was cooking when it fact you would be dead wrong.

The primary 02s are laser calibrated wideband. You can data log from these and they work well. You may consider something like the Motec PLM. They sample very rapidly and easily extract the logs.

Last edited by PorschePhd; 02-11-2005 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:37 PM
Yes that is correct. On imports I use AEM standalone ECU's, they are very simple to use but have alot of dated tech. For the high end cars and serioues HP monsters Motec is the only way to go.
-Daniel

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Have any of you high boost guys logged knock activity?