996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

First Tip to Bend Rods and then some...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 08:06 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, the 993TT has the same issues. Also knife edging will not weaken the crank. If it did I would have a ton of motors in pieces.

Old 02-13-2005, 08:25 PM
Banned
sticky is infamous around these parts
With new rods you also get new bearings correct? So do you go to different bearing that will not wear as easily as the stock ones?

Old 02-13-2005, 09:20 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
sticky there aren't any "aftermarket" ones that I know of... I'm doing some preventitive measures (some polishing etc...) to help with wear.

Old 02-13-2005, 09:23 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
No, the bearing wear is from the rod bolt stretching. With proper rods androd bolts this is not an issue.

Old 02-13-2005, 09:56 PM
Banned
Are rods recommended for people who have the 640gt and 700 package turbos? What is the HP limit of the motor with new rods? Can nitrous be run on top of a say 700 package with rods safely (Say a 75 shot)?

Old 02-13-2005, 10:26 PM
I don't feel nitrous is good for any Porsche motor. There are other ways to make HP...

On the rods, 640 as a track car yes, questionable on a low mileage street machine. 700...YES.

Old 02-14-2005, 02:56 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
With anything over BHP600, it seems prudent to do the rods as well. Ruf changes the rods automatically if you go for the 590 package or above.

Old 02-14-2005, 03:28 AM
Banned
Originally posted by PorschePhD
I don't feel nitrous is good for any Porsche motor. There are other ways to make HP...

On the rods, 640 as a track car yes, questionable on a low mileage street machine. 700...YES.

Would you please explain in detail as to your disdain for nitrous in a porsche? Correctly used and setup nitrous systems can not be beat for adding power and cooling engine temps for the money.

After 700 traction becomes an issue doesn't it? Spraying once moving seems like a nice way to add some more power without having to really spend huge bucks for the higher stages, just a thought.

I believe CJV has a successful setup in his porsche, so it can be done, I just would like to know why more people don't do it.

Last edited by sticky; 02-14-2005 at 03:32 AM.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:08 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by sharkster
Well you did tell me over a year ago that'd I'd have to do it- finally now was the right time That's some good info. Was it doing that also with the 993TT?

There's some stuff I'm having done to the crank (although I don't think I'll be knfie-edging as I'm worried about weaking it). I don't think I'm going to flow the heads though. I might do some additional motor work as well but I'm not planning to do super high revs or anything like that....
sharkster,

If whoever you are taking about who weakens the crank when they knife edge, then they are not knife edging in the proper areas. There is just no way a properly located knife edge can weaken the crank.

Old 02-14-2005, 08:19 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Kevin
Chad's just lucky with his success with NO2.. It doesn't take much to pull the cylinder studs from the case.. Also the cylinder heads does not have an oring groove to lock the removeable liners in place.. Careless applications of the gas will have you mechanic laughing when he hands you a bill.. Human nature takes over, and the 50 shot goes to 75 then 100.. I'd rather get the HP that I need from a larger turbochargers.
Precisely Kevin .............. but with larger turbo's you introduce lag. Nitrous in conjunction with a programmer, eliminates lag. Once the larger turbo's spool the programmer shuts the nitrous off .......... viola (no luck involved). Just alot of time on the dyno tuning and timing.

Kevin is correct, using nitrous can be addicting. If you don't watch your jet settings or if you push the motor components past their design limits things tend to come apart. This is true no matter the source of the power. Nitrous is nothing magic. It is simply adding more parts of oxygen to the same space. The misconception about nitrous is it adds power. Nitrous by itself adds no power. Fuel (gasoline) makes the power. Nitrous is an oxidizer which when combined wih the correct parts of fuel makes power.

Last edited by cjv; 02-14-2005 at 08:30 PM.