996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Need help with cf defroster trim.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 09:21 PM
pinoyamg is infamous around these parts
Need help with cf defroster trim.....

Just got one of my dream cars but also inherited an apparently "common" problem with cf trims peeling off the dash. I've tried to search forums for answers on whether or not to go ahead and peel it off or heat the trim with a heat gun to re-mold the trim piece and glue back down. No conclusive answers found. I was wondering for those who have had this problem with their gt2s, what ever happened? Where can I buy a replacement piece? Should I just go to the dealership? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:59 PM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
I have the peeling problem on my CF trim as well. I just used the double sided 3m tape (black) for exterior body parts that is sold at autozone.

Make sure both surfaces are clean, and just press / clamp and hold for 3 or so minutes and it has held fine for me.

Tom

Old 08-15-2010, 01:15 PM
Thanks. How about the warped piece or segments that are wavy? Repair or replace?

Old 08-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
You can try to glue the CF strips back, but eventually it will be peeling again. Same case will happen even replace with OEM trims due to the design. Alots of heat and UV get to that area. The CF strip will not hold forever. We have replacement CF defroster which cover whole piece in CF. That will eliminate the peeling issue and we add UV production resin to protect them from yellowing. Let me know we if can help!

Old 08-15-2010, 01:56 PM
Looks great! How's the install? If you guys provide the pics and step by step instructions that would make it easier to do for a guy like me who's got two left hands and the patience of a knat!