996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Which suspension??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 06:06 PM
willieboy is a jewel in the roughwillieboy is a jewel in the roughwillieboy is a jewel in the rough
Which suspension??

First, let me thank you all for starting my modification addiction. The EPL flash is a blast. I think the EVO DV's are doing something I drove up into the Santa Monica Mountains this last weekend and pushed my baby a bit. I have decided I would like to attempt to minimize the front-end push and lower the car. It won't see a track (now I say that) and mostly will be driven casually with the exception of an occasional jam session in the mountains. It only has 9000 miles on it. So the question is, what suspension to go with to achieve the handling improvements and adjustable ride height. After the suspension I will probably seek out the 19" wheels and tires and soon after that I will need the Rotec front and rear spoilers in carbon fiber. I have been reading until I'm blue in the face about coil overs and I thought I would ask the experts Thanks in advance!

Old 08-18-2010, 06:41 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
The best bang for your buck is adjustable sway bars. They can help you tune out the push, and won't cost you a lot of money. Do those first, keep looking and listening on the coilovers.

Jon

Old 08-18-2010, 07:40 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FAST FWD
The best bang for your buck is adjustable sway bars. They can help you tune out the push, and won't cost you a lot of money. Do those first, keep looking and listening on the coilovers.

Jon

agree completely

heres some more direction on coilovers, do you understand how to adjust rebound and compression on a shock and know what you are looking for? if so look into these
KW v3
JIC (make sure it has the latest camber/top plates)
JRZ (very racey setup)
Motons Top end remote resivoir all the bells n whistles

if you want a set it and forget it type shock get a set of pss10 (these dont like to be lowered alot so keep that in mind, some places have trouble with these with alot of drop in ride height)

with a little looking around you can get KWv3's or pss10's about the same Price brand new

Last edited by OS Inspector; 08-18-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:57 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
Can the PSS10 handle GT2 ride height?

Old 08-18-2010, 07:59 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PAULUNM
Can the PSS10 handle GT2 ride height?
some say yes some say no,

find a local trusted suspension pro and have him set it up for ya.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:01 PM
willieboy is a jewel in the roughwillieboy is a jewel in the roughwillieboy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by OS Inspector
agree completely

heres some more direction on coilovers, do you understand how to adjust rebound and compression on a shock and know what you are looking for? if so look into these
KW v3
JIC (make sure it has the latest camber/top plates)
JRZ (very racey setup)
Motons Top end remote resivoir all the bells n whistles

if you want a set it and forget it type shock get a set of pss10 (these dont like to be lowered alot so keep that in mind, some places have trouble with these with alot of drop in ride height)

with a little looking around you can get KWv3's or pss10's about the same Price brand new
I am looking for the set it and forget it solution. Just want to improve the handling a little and drop the car down about an inch. I don't totally understand the rebound and compression thing but I'm willing to learn

Old 08-18-2010, 08:23 PM
id say go See GMG in cali or BBI and have them set you up.

But short on rebound and compression
shocks have 3 major factors

Spring rate which is determined by a few factors, one the weight of car, use of car road/track and the desired speed or downforce. a race suspension will be very stiff to counteract the downforce action at high speed 150+mph. Ideally there are progressive rate springs that as you compress them the spring rate or stiffness gets higher/harder soft at top for small bumps and hard at bottom for large bumps.

Compression has to do with the valving of the shock as oil travels through the body of the shock its designed to Slow the spring down, so it does not bounce you to death like a pogo stick. Compression adjustment makes the shock have more resistance to movement or slows the movement of compressing the shock and spring combination. Basically your closing a valve that lets oil through the shock the smaller the hole the less fluid travels the harder/slower it is to compress.

Rebound is adjusting the valves on the side that allows the shock to return to its original state, depending on how the shock is designed it can effect the compression speed also. But mainly is the speed of spring back, which to much will be trying to launch you off each bump or too slow will let the shock compress fully and then not return to standard resting point in a timely manner.

so ideally you want a shock that meets your needs and uses. Street cars Bilsteins are usually the ticket unless your going to track also and are interested in tuning suspension components to their fullest. (not saying pss10's are not track worthy as they are just limited on adjustment for track rats) these are probably the most popular porsche shock (pss10's)

Old 08-18-2010, 08:29 PM
Thank you a ton. As I said, I am willing to learn and you just gave me a valuable lesson. AWESOME! Sounds like the PSS10's would be great but I am concerned about them and the lowering thing stated earlier. I was just going to get some springs but I don't want to treat my Porsche like a Honda (no offense to the Honda owners) .

Old 08-18-2010, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by willieboy
Thank you a ton. As I said, I am willing to learn and you just gave me a valuable lesson. AWESOME! Sounds like the PSS10's would be great but I am concerned about them and the lowering thing stated earlier. I was just going to get some springs but I don't want to treat my Porsche like a Honda (no offense to the Honda owners) .
dont be too worried, just give GMG or BBI a call they can give your more specific info and take care of you, BBI just did a pss10 install on Buckys car look back a page or two he was very pleased,

Old 08-18-2010, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by OS Inspector
dont be too worried, just give GMG or BBI a call they can give your more specific info and take care of you, BBI just did a pss10 install on Buckys car look back a page or two he was very pleased,
BBI it is. Thanks for your education iand input. Very helpful.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:38 AM
big_jay is infamous around these parts
I want to do the suspension on my car too!!
I was thinking about PSS10 too...
Keep us posted on what you do and how you like them!

Old 08-19-2010, 07:24 AM
btapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of light
I just installed a set of PSS10's and absolutely love them. It dropped the car around 1" and the ride is amazing. It also corners very flat at the track as well.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:27 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
PSS10's can bottom out if you take them on the track.

I prefer and use the KW v3

Old 08-19-2010, 01:58 PM
Steve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really nice
Originally Posted by willieboy
I am looking for the set it and forget it solution. Just want to improve the handling a little and drop the car down about an inch. I don't totally understand the rebound and compression thing but I'm willing to learn
I am of the same mind. I track my car a few times a year and wanted to drop it a bit, stiffen up the ride, and not monkey with it. Given that, I just replaced my OEM US suspension with OEM ROW suspension. I had a Boxster S in the past and replaced the US spec with the ROW M030 suspension and it was a great all around setup. On the 996tt, it drops the front a little less than an inch and the back about 1/2 inch. Price was substantially less than coilovers care of Suncoast. Thanks Ric. So far I really like it. Much stiffer, much less body roll, still very comfortable for everyday driving (wife really likes that).

Old 08-19-2010, 02:00 PM
btapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Steve01tt
I am of the same mind. I track my car a few times a year and wanted to drop it a bit, stiffen up the ride, and not monkey with it. Given that, I just replaced my OEM US suspension with OEM ROW suspension. I had a Boxster S in the past and replaced the US spec with the ROW M030 suspension and it was a great all around setup. On the 996tt, it drops the front a little less than an inch and the back about 1/2 inch. Price was substantially less than coilovers care of Suncoast. Thanks Ric. So far I really like it. Much stiffer, much less body roll, still very comfortable for everyday driving (wife really likes that).
I almost went this direction but decided on the PSS10's and they are amazing. So good I may have them on all of my cars. Seriously the ride is perfect and not harsh and you have the ability to adjust if you become a track freak which is always a possibility!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which suspension??