996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Good suspension tuning shops in Houston?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 08:48 PM
Wolk's Wagon is infamous around these partsWolk's Wagon is infamous around these parts
Good suspension tuning shops in Houston?

Recently upgraded from X73? to PSS10's and JIC adjustable upper rear control arms. Had my mechanic setup the rears with a lot less camber than the old setup that was on the car, as it was chewing the tires and rode like crap imo.

Looking for a good shop to tune the suspension for DE's and back to street trim and so forth. Any recomendation from the local crew would be much appreciated.

The PSS10's are awesome BTW, I love this car now!

Old 08-21-2010, 01:35 PM
frankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to all
i would call Akram @ MotorWerks, but I know he's finishing up with my suspension, now.

it will probably be a couple weeks b4 he can get you in. It will definitely be worth the wait!

Old 08-21-2010, 06:38 PM
Former Vendor
Chris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by frankster
i would call Akram @ MotorWerks, but I know he's finishing up with my suspension, now.

it will probably be a couple weeks b4 he can get you in. It will definitely be worth the wait!

Give Mike a call at bartuning......real smart guy.

Chris Green

Old 08-21-2010, 07:27 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Ask for Steve Ott at Driversource in Houston...

Old 08-21-2010, 09:01 PM
Wolk's Wagon is infamous around these partsWolk's Wagon is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Chris Green@USP
Give Mike a call at bartuning......real smart guy.

Chris Green
Yep Mike is a smart guy and a good friend of mine, he's the one who installed the suspension and does all my work, but he doesn't do alignments he subs that out.

Looking for someone well versed in performance suspension tuning for P cars. Friend of mine suggested Protechnik or Tracktime performance?
http://www.protechnik.com
http://www.tracktimeperformance.com

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 08-23-2010 at 10:02 AM. Reason: active link to a commercial non sponsor site
Old 08-21-2010, 09:19 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
Ask for Steve Ott at Driversource in Houston...
Steve subs it out.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:05 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Are you looking for race setup or street?

Old 08-22-2010, 12:50 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Wolk's Wagon
Yep Mike is a smart guy and a good friend of mine, he's the one who installed the suspension and does all my work, but he doesn't do alignments he subs that out.

Looking for someone well versed in performance suspension tuning for P cars. Friend of mine suggested Protechniques{sp?} or Tracktime performance?

if memory serves right akram does his own alignments but has to use a alignment machine offsite since he doesn't have one in his shop.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by TT Gasman
Are you looking for race setup or street?
I guess I'm looking for both, set it up for race days and then back to street trim. I was even hoping I could mark off the two settings on the adjusting points and swap back and forth in my driveway after it was dialed in once.

That was my theory supporting buying adjustable coilovers anyway.lol

Old 08-22-2010, 09:29 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
I guess I'm looking for both, set it up for race days and then back to street trim. I was even hoping I could mark off the two settings on the adjusting points and swap back and forth in my driveway after it was dialed in once.

I don't think that's really possible on these modern 911s, but good luck with it. I would refer you to see Don Irby at Porsche West Houston to get your car setup correctly. Rennsport in Sealy is a well known shop, but I don't know if he is still in business, possibly retired. You could also send the car up to RAC in Dallas, they do very good work. For hardcore race applications there are other options, though not open to the public.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:17 AM
frankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to all

Wolk,

The only way to do that with your suspension is to purchase coilovers. They can be adjusted back and forth (street and track) in your driveway, provided you have a proper car lift in your driveway.

The alignment, has to go to an alignment shop to be adjusted for track. Then when you are done with the track, taken back to the alignment shop to be adjusted back to street.

Track alignment is absolutely crucial to being able to turn good lap times. The problem with a track-oriented alignment is that it will destroy the inner tread of your tires on the street in a very short time.

I have fully adjustable coilovers on my car. Since we are presently developing it for the Texas Mile, we are running a very straight alignment to make the car track nicely in a straight line. I presently have to sacrifice performance in the turns to achieve this performance.

After the Mile, I will adjust the alignment for my next track day and go "tear it up" on the track.

After the track, I will put the alignment back to street and go picking on the "big cars" on the street.

Of course, it is $100-$150 every time I make the adjustment, but this is not a poor man's game, either.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:46 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Steve I am surprised you didn't stall that RT12 driving it that slow yesterday.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:55 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Paulie is the only one that drives 20 under the speed limit. He doesn't want to break any laws because at his age they are already trying take away his license! LOL!!!

Old 08-23-2010, 09:57 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Steve I will stop by to help with Powell's car this afternoon.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:59 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PAULIEWALNUTS
Steve I will stop by to help with Powell's car this afternoon.
I'm not worried Paul doesn't even know the difference between a Flat Head and a Phillips. I'm not to worried!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Good suspension tuning shops in Houston?