996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What's wrong with my rear tires...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 06:41 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
What's wrong with my rear tires...

Just came back from the alignment after installing new rear tires. Take a look at the picture of the tires I took off. The alignment shop did not found anything wrong with the toe or the camber... The inside of the tires wear out a lot faster. (I know I waited toooooo long)...Is this normal wear or should I get the alignment done somewhere else? (Tire off and on Khumo Ecsta 295/30/18 and replaced after 12000 kms. or 7500 miles)

Attached Images   
Old 08-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
Unless you have a very aggressive track alignment that is odd wear..you would need excessive camber (more than -2.5) to cause that much wear..also your rear eccentrics may not be holding the alignment and you have excessive rear toe....if you only drive on the street you should get a less aggressive set up...you also may have a bad wheel bearing because that wheel looks like it has been wobbling

Old 08-24-2010, 07:09 PM
mtesh73 is infamous around these parts
i agree with chuck on the wheel bearing>>>>

Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
Unless you have a very aggressive track alignment that is odd wear..you would need excessive camber (more than -2.5) to cause that much wear..also your rear eccentrics may not be holding the alignment and you have excessive rear toe....if you only drive on the street you should get a less aggressive set up...you also may have a bad wheel bearing because that wheel looks like it has been wobbling
definately looks like a wobble issue. our cars are notorious for needing wheel bearings sooner than you would think.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:00 PM
tjj7ff is infamous around these parts
I had the same problem on my 03 turbo. Excessive wear on the inside of both tires. I took it to the Porsche dealer to and had the alignment checked. They found nothing wrong with the toe or the camber. The bearings were also checked out and they were okay. I put a new set of 19 inch PS2's on and have not had any problems with these tires showing any uneven wear. I've got 14k on these tires.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:48 PM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
Those tires are shot for 7500 miles

Old 08-24-2010, 09:56 PM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
I usually wear out the outside part of the tires because of the curves,i suppose.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:27 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
What were your precise alignment specs????

..if your toe is near the maximum of "OK" with healthy camber you can get that wear... really surprising actually. cords on the inside, 50% on the outside.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:40 AM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
could it be from the spacers and the low quality of the tires?

Old 08-25-2010, 01:09 AM
rosesplus is infamous around these parts
These tires look like they are cupped pretty bad. Just out of interest were they noisy? I just pulled off a set of 315's Kuhmo's off the rear of my car because of noise, they didn't look anywhere as bad as these but they were cupped.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:27 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Thanks all for your suggestions. First thing this morning is a good check of the wheel bearings and I already schedule another alignment to a Porsche specialized shop for next week. I didn't get any specification the last time but I will.... rosesplus, it is difficult for me to tell about noise because I bought the car with those tires and they seems not too noisy...Thanks again.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:04 AM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
One more thing... were you running 44 psi inflation? I got excessive wear when I ran the pressures lower. It wasn't nearly as bad as that. Those tires look to me like they were running with a lot of toe-out. Supposed to have a it of toe-in on the rear.

Too bad you didn't get the alignment settings before they changed them.

Jon

Old 08-25-2010, 07:14 AM
hrs1 is infamous around these parts
Is your car lowered? Same stuff happened to me...you need to put in dogbone arms, or whatever the hell they are called...problem solved!

Old 08-25-2010, 07:28 AM
Originally Posted by FAST FWD
One more thing... were you running 44 psi inflation? I got excessive wear when I ran the pressures lower. It wasn't nearly as bad as that. Those tires look to me like they were running with a lot of toe-out. Supposed to have a it of toe-in on the rear.

Too bad you didn't get the alignment settings before they changed them.

Jon
Yes Fast I was running at 44. I was not welcome when they took my car in the garage 30 minutes before quitting time. It was impossible for me to get any info other than my car set up was good....That is why I am going somewhere else next time.... I wanted to learn so much about the possibilities of adjustment, eccentric, toe in toe out etc. Arrived with a copy of the specs from the repair manual and willing to learn something, came out with nothing except a bad experience.....

Originally Posted by hrs1
Is your car lowered? Same stuff happened to me...you need to put in dogbone arms, or whatever the hell they are called...problem solved!

Thanks for your input hrs1 but my suspension is completely stock...

Old 08-25-2010, 08:04 AM
Brad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jpflip
Yes Fast I was running at 44. I was not welcome when they took my car in the garage 30 minutes before quitting time. It was impossible for me to get any info other than my car set up was good....That is why I am going somewhere else next time.... I wanted to learn so much about the possibilities of adjustment, eccentric, toe in toe out etc. Arrived with a copy of the specs from the repair manual and willing to learn something, came out with nothing except a bad experience.....
Well, be fair... You took a car that takes at least 2 hours to align in at quitting time. Then wanted them to explain how/way it works; which will extend the job another untold amount of time. I understand customer service, but your request was out of the ordinary and unusual AND optional. (meaning,you could drive the car home, schedule an appointment and then come back)

I'm sure there are exceptions(as this post will likely cause people to point it out), but those guys most likely work 6 days per week and at minimum 10 hour shifts. The last thing you want is a tired mechanic, who hasn't seen his family all day trying to rush to finish on a P-car. Try being respectful of their time and make an appointment to have their best mechanic walk you through the process rather than showing up at quitting time with the presumption that you're going to keep them there all night to work on your car. *The* service writer should have offered to make an appointment rather than to try to rush the car through. A proper alignment takes some time. If you have PSM, they also need the special tool to reset the computer.

On topic: I've yet to see a P-car around town that doesn't have excessive alignment wear on the inside of the tire. I've always assumed that it was the rear springs being a bit weak. Sagging/weak rear springs can and will also cause this type of wear. Both of my cars have had alignments 'in spec' and shown excessive tire wear. (like yours, but I caught it earlier)

Last edited by Brad Bedell; 08-25-2010 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by Brad Bedell
Well, be fair... You took a car that takes at least 2 hours to align in at quitting time. Then wanted them to explain how/way it works; which will extend the job another untold amount of time. I understand customer service, but your request was out of the ordinary and unusual AND optional. (meaning,you could drive the car home, schedule an appointment and then come back)

I'm sure there are exceptions(as this post will likely cause people to point it out), but those guys most likely work 6 days per week and at minimum 10 hour shifts. The last thing you want is a tired mechanic, who hasn't seen his family all day trying to rush to finish on a P-car. Try being respectful of their time and make an appointment to have their best mechanic walk you through the process rather than showing up at quitting time with the presumption that you're going to keep them there all night to work on your car. *The* service writer should have offered to make an appointment rather than to try to rush the car through. A proper alignment takes some time. If you have PSM, they also need the special tool to reset the computer.

On topic: I've yet to see a P-car around town that doesn't have excessive alignment wear on the inside of the tire. I've always assumed that it was the rear springs being a bit weak. Sagging/weak rear springs can and will also cause this type of wear. Both of my cars have had alignments 'in spec' and shown excessive tire wear. (like yours, but I caught it earlier)

Brad I understand your point but my appointment was at 16:00 and I was there at 15:00, and they took the car in only at 16:50. Like your saying they should tell me to come back another day instead of rushing this mechanic. The final income will be next week after a visit in this more specialized shop. I hope....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What's wrong with my rear tires...