996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

HID lights on gt2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 07:48 PM
pinoyamg is infamous around these parts
HID lights on gt2

I've got one of my HID lights acting up..... will start out with the lights on, and by the time I get to my destination, one of the lights is off. I would shut them off and turn them on again, and it'll only be on for several seconds. After parking over night, the lights are again on until driven. I was wondering if anyone knew if the HID lights expire over time or over number of hours used? I've taken the lights off the car using the 5mm wrench and seems easy enough and looks fairly straight forward.... any body have tips on making this job a success? Thanks

Old 08-25-2010, 01:26 AM
GMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of light
There are several reason for a light to come on and turn off; from ballast to bulb to wiring.

Swap ballast left to right, then bulb, if issue is still there, wiring it is. I had a similar issue, turned out to be the wiring for the ground came lose inside the headlight.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:51 AM
chaud is infamous around these parts
Sounds like the headlight switch, or a bulb that is on its way out. From my experience, having experienced both in the past, my guess will go to the bulb being on its way out.

Try swapping your low beam bulb from one side to the other and see if the problem follows to the other side. If so, you know the culprit. I think the replacement is a D2S HID bulb.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:36 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
First thing I would do switch the bulb. And if the problem persist switch the litronic control unit (see pics part# 996 631 183 00) which is also not too difficult, two torx screws and two plastic clips. Also take a good look at the pins on the mounting rack to see if one is pushed or bend....

Suggestion: If it is the control unit, it cost over $600.00 so if you do not care about a used one, look on Ebay there is some for around $100.00.....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 4.png
Views:	102
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	131201  
Attached Images  

Last edited by jpflip; 08-25-2010 at 06:42 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:31 AM
Originally Posted by jpflip
First thing I would do switch the bulb. And if the problem persist switch the litronic control unit (see pics part# 996 631 183 00) which is also not too difficult, two torx screws and two plastic clips. Also take a good look at the pins on the mounting rack to see if one is pushed or bend....

Suggestion: If it is the control unit, it cost over $600.00 so if you do not care about a used one, look on Ebay there is some for around $100.00.....
Cool diagram! Thanks for the info. I'm hoping its just a bulb on the way out. I hate waiting on parts and not being able to drive it on these nice summer nights. Thanks

Old 08-27-2010, 02:30 PM
Okay, it's not the bulb!! Ordered the ballast/control unit.... jpflip, are there particular connection patterns or order for the control unit? Thanks. You've provided more info than any of the parts guys in my little town!

Old 08-27-2010, 02:49 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pinoyamg
Okay, it's not the bulb!! Ordered the ballast/control unit.... jpflip, are there particular connection patterns or order for the control unit? Thanks. You've provided more info than any of the parts guys in my little town!
You got it ! Good. It is a simple task to replace, only two torx screws and two lock tabs and you cannot make mistake for the main power plug (2 wires plug on the side of the box) which can be install only one way and you got also a ground wire. The main line on the bulb itself turn about 1/4 turn to lock and unlock. Don't hesitate to ask if you got other question and to tell us if you succeed!

I forgot, there is a plastic cap which is part of the big black electrical cable. This cap just pop out with a good tap on it....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.png
Views:	141
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	131383  

Last edited by jpflip; 08-27-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:54 PM
GMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of light
Are you sure it's the ballast? Did you swap the ballast left to right too?

Old 08-27-2010, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by GMendoza
Are you sure it's the ballast? Did you swap the ballast left to right too?
What else could it be? The lights do work for a few minutes until something happens and cuts off the light.... Once parked, and the lights are on again. The hid light on the left just cuts off..... If you have any ideas for me to try, I'll sure like to try em.. Thanks.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by jpflip
You got it ! Good. It is a simple task to replace, only two torx screws and two lock tabs and you cannot make mistake for the main power plug (2 wires plug on the side of the box) which can be install only one way and you got also a ground wire. The main line on the bulb itself turn about 1/4 turn to lock and unlock. Don't hesitate to ask if you got other question and to tell us if you succeed!

I forgot, there is a plastic cap which is part of the big black electrical cable. This cap just pop out with a good tap on it....
I bought a control unit on ebay for a fraction of an original. The original is 630 some odd dollars. Thanks for the help jpflip and I'll try replacing it as soon as I get the control unit. I guess if this does'nt work, I'll have to pony up for a new head light unit

Old 08-28-2010, 08:09 PM
I had the same problem. Sometimes the light will come on and stay on. Sometimes the light will come on then turn off later and sometimes it would turn off right away.

This guy had the same issue. He posted his fix and I posted my fix on page 4
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...flicker-1.html

Old 08-28-2010, 09:04 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
same thing happened to my car. it turns out, the headlight itself wasnt secure enough in the housing. pop it out, pop it back it, and tighten the screw and you should be good

Old 08-29-2010, 01:21 AM
Originally Posted by GMendoza
I had the same problem. Sometimes the light will come on and stay on. Sometimes the light will come on then turn off later and sometimes it would turn off right away.

This guy had the same issue. He posted his fix and I posted my fix on page 4
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...flicker-1.html
Wow thanks! Now i'm not electrically savy.... how did you get behind the plug to get to the wires? Did you have an illustration you followed? Could you please forward me the instructions so that I may try your fix. Do I need an electrical thing to check for grounding? Thanks a lot.. Scott

Old 08-30-2010, 08:13 PM
I was looking for a diagram too but I couldn't find one. First you need a multimeter to measure the resistance to check continuity while wiggling the connectors to confirm it's bad.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:51 PM
Ballast in and lights are on!!!!! Thanks jpflip and everyone for the help! Its great to know that you can go to a forum and fix a problem rather than listening to a lot of bull from the stealerships! Thanks guys!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HID lights on gt2