996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Evolution of the 996tt. Who's who.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 11:09 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Tony @ EPL was the first to bring the 2step, flat foot shifting, and a few other options to the factory DME also including a higher speed datalogger than the Durametric.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:27 AM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
EVOMS "dual-chip" - dual program technology via toggle switch. Take advantage of race fuel vs pump settings without the use of a flash loader.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:33 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Powell
Tony @ EPL was the first to bring the 2step, flat foot shifting, and a few other options to the factory DME also including a higher speed datalogger than the Durametric.
Chris , actually there were a few tuners doing that before tony they just never advertised it .

Old 08-27-2010, 11:54 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by unvmy996
Chris , actually there were a few tuners doing that before tony they just never advertised it .

Didn't GIAC have a tune that utilized the cruise control stalk functions to switch between files on Audi's?

Old 08-27-2010, 01:30 PM
teflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by cjv
...Another behind the scenes guy as far as transmissions go is Brian Copan. Right know I can't remember the name of his company. Brian is one of if the the best Porsche tranny guys in the world...
BMC&G

Greg A

Old 08-27-2010, 02:39 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by str8blst
I still have that magazine in my bathroom Seriously read it from time to time... it's amazing how far these cars have come.

If they were to do another shootout (996TT) I wonder what the cars would be and who from this forum would be going....
If that ever happens I would put 100% effort into being there.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:02 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
I'm not sure if you are asking me, but my car indeed utilized GT3 cam synchs on modifed 996TT cams. According to Todd, my build was the first time he had ever attempted it. He then did the exact same thing on my friend Peter's 3.8 car.

Feel free to call him for specifics.
Scott,

You are correct. It is a little unorthodox along with very difficult to do but it allowed the usage of the smaller valved 996tt heads with modified locked out 996tt vario cams. He did use a GT3 program ECU. What he did allows for good medium range torque along with saves about 14K or more on head work.

Normally this makes absolutely no sense. I asked Todd how it would be possible to use the GT3 ECU with 996tt cams and the cams related pointers? Better yet why?

Well Todd ground off the 996tt cam sync pointers and installed GT3 sync pointers on the 996tt cams. This is an extremely difficult undertaking and must be precise. He then re ground the 996tt cams and locked out the vario lift and keeps the vario timing. Now the GT3 ECU (street and Cup) will work, but not the GT3 RSR ECU. The why is the money saved. It brought the torque down from the high rpm range to the mid rpm range. It actually makes the car quicker unless you add displacement via stroker to acquire the mid and keep the high rpm torque.

Last edited by cjv; 08-27-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:06 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buddyg
Chad,

Evoms had a Stage IV and had done one Stage V when I dropped my car off in PA. They were definitely on the cutting edge at the time. Right after the shootout Evoms developed the GT packages and used the hybrid turbo which made great power but reduced the lag of the Stage V turbos.
The TIAL hybrids were what we were utilizing around late 2002/early 2003. Once EVO learned about them the change was fast.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:15 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Ok, one of you would obviously know the answer to this historical question. Did porsche ever make an upgraded "sport" cam for the turbo. I recently heard that they did, but never heard of it until now which is strange.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:08 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by Prche951
Ok, one of you would obviously know the answer to this historical question. Did porsche ever make an upgraded "sport" cam for the turbo. I recently heard that they did, but never heard of it until now which is strange.
I have never heard of this cam. I do know some european tuners started installing Porsche GT3 exhaust cams in the turbo's.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:10 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by teflon
BMC&G

Greg A
That's it ....... thanks Greg.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:12 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
The why is the money saved. It brought the torque down from the high rpm range to the mid rpm range. It actually makes the car quicker unless you add displacement via stroker to acquire the mid and keep the high rpm torque.
Yep, I told him I was on a strict budget so he needed to put his thinking cap on. Apparently he did just that.

It also helped make driveability excellent. In and out of boost , that setup was unbelievably consistent and easy to drive.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:44 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Wow what a fun trip down memory lane this is... there's so much I can't even remember where to begin. Craig and myself were certainly championing the Tiptronic back in the day. Don't laugh but the first 996tt in the 10s was actually a tip
PS I've been using EVOMS' true dual chip solution for a year now. Really nice to have a full street ecu and race ecu that I can choose between. Not sure anyone else does that

Last edited by cjv; 08-28-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:15 AM
cjv
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Yep, I told him I was on a strict budget so he needed to put his thinking cap on. Apparently he did just that.

It also helped make driveability excellent. In and out of boost , that setup was unbelievably consistent and easy to drive.
Scott,

I guess I have been in my own little world too long. Prior to Todd K doing what he did on your car Todd K and I spoke. I also spoke with some of the top cam manufacturer's. At the time what Todd K did had been discussed , but didn't seem probable.

The results of mid range power and the turbo's used really made for a quick car when you place it along side a car with the build like Markski's or GT3 single sync cam motors. It gives me pause for thought. I have gone the route of the single sync cam motor which means our results other than using a far more radical cam will be similar to Markski's output. I guess the present unknown will will be our larger 4.4L displacement and the individual throttle bodies/dual staged injectors.

There is no doubt that whatever the extra ponies and/or quickness that is derived will be expensive. What Todd K was able to do on your prior car was brilliant. This original work by Todd K on your car would definitely earn Divexxtreme a spot on the Who's Who.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:19 AM
cjv
Originally Posted by sharkster
Wow what a fun trip down memory lane this is... there's so much I can't even remember where to begin. Craig and myself were certainly championing the Tiptronic back in the day. Don't laugh but the first 996tt in the 10s was actually a tip
PS I've been using EVOMS' true dual chip solution for a year now. Really nice to have a full street ecu and race ecu that I can choose between. Not sure anyone else does that
Alex,

We sure could use some of your input and memory. Feel free to correct anything that you may remember as being different or from another perspective.

I sure wish some of the other old timers would chime in.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Evolution of the 996tt. Who's who.