996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Evolution of the 996tt. Who's who.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 08:09 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
Speaking of larger injectors. If memory serves me correctly, EVOMS was the first to use larger injectors on our motors. I should know, I spent a lot of time trying to figure out where Todd Z was getting them.
We keep working and are at events but for sure If you're around he'll be at the shop tomorrow... You're right about the injectors too:P

Old 08-28-2010, 08:16 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
We keep working and are at events but for sure If you're around he'll be at the shop tomorrow... You're right about the injectors too:P
Give this to Todd for me with love.

I was going to go to my place in Half Moon Bay tomorrow. I may change my plans. What time are you guys going to be at your shop?

Last edited by cjv; 08-28-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:12 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
I am guessing the "GT" name was derived from the TIAL turbo which had names like GT 25, etc. These turbo's had their advantages over the T tubo's that both EVOMS (Stage V) and Protomotive (as in Wilbur's car) were using back then.

the GT comes from Garret GT seris Turbos that Tial uses to produce their hybrid/compilations. atleast i would think this is where is comes from

back in the day i had a 4 cylinder DSM, GT seris was all the talk with the seperated/two tier inlet and the large compressors 700, 800 whp with one turbo the gt40 or 42r i forget

Old 08-29-2010, 03:10 AM
Banned
Shotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cjv
Well. that is where I learned about the GT3 exhaust cams being used on the 996tt motor. I know there is more to their builds than this.
so they r the first tuner who is using GT3 exhaust cams being used on the 996tt motor??

Old 08-29-2010, 09:41 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Shotcaller
so they r the first tuner who is using GT3 exhaust cams being used on the 996tt motor??
Don't know if they were the first. That is where I learned about it and at the time it caused a lot of pains for 9ff. I believe they were installed on JRO996tt's car and they were a disaster. I believe this caused the demise of 9ff USA distributor and grief for 9ff. I believe they eventually made things right with John. I understand there were issues with the parent 9ff and 9ff USA.

I believe the GT3 cams do work, however you have to remember the turbo and normally aspirated cams are different. How good they work on a 996tt I do not know. Probably better, but certainly not optimized.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:44 AM
cjv
Originally Posted by cjv
Give this to Todd for me with love.

I was going to go to my place in Half Moon Bay tomorrow. I may change my plans. What time are you guys going to be at your shop?
Alex,

I didn't hear back about the time Todd was going to be at your shop so I'm going to head to HMB. Sorry.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:40 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
Alex,

I didn't hear back about the time Todd was going to be at your shop so I'm going to head to HMB. Sorry.
Sorry mate... we had an event yesterday (see below) and then I had a baby shower to go to... Finally the UFC fights were on last night and by the time Todd/I got some sleep it was already 2am... He's still sleeping

here's a few of us leaving the shop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_5mqhrFspQ

If you're around I don't think he's leaving until later today...

Old 08-29-2010, 01:15 PM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Shotcaller
Guys

What do u know about 9ff??
I know they had two HORRIBLE USA reps in a row (the second one ripped me off over an exhaust) which is why they never became a factor here.

Last edited by cjv; 08-30-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:20 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by sharkster
Sorry mate... we had an event yesterday (see below) and then I had a baby shower to go to... Finally the UFC fights were on last night and by the time Todd/I got some sleep it was already 2am... He's still sleeping

here's a few of us leaving the shop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_5mqhrFspQ

If you're around I don't think he's leaving until later today...

Alex,

Got at your place at 10:45 AM. waited an hour and then left.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:23 PM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
Originally Posted by cjv
Another name of original innovators, he did a test of many of the exhausts at the time was Stephen or Porsche PhD.
I also credit Stephen for being the first vendor that participated openly in the forum, giving alot of time to all of us and passing out alot of information for free. Look at the exhaust shootout, that was a time consuming effort that benefitted many of us early users.

I'd love for somebody to duplicate that for the new generation of exhausts......and turbos (so many choices).

Shame how it all ended for him.....

Last edited by cjv; 08-30-2010 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by cjv
Alex,

Got at your place at 10:45 AM. waited an hour and then left.
Sorry man We were still at my house recovering.. Matt/James went to get some parts

Old 08-30-2010, 07:58 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
so who was the first to coin the term Chicktronic?
That would be me, it was an affectionate name I penned for Sharky!

Last edited by cjv; 08-30-2010 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:01 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by unvmy996
Buddy, do you have a link for the rest of the magazine article with all the cars ?
http://www.europeancarweb.com/featur...son/index.html

Old 08-30-2010, 08:20 AM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
EPL cut the cost of tuning (especially custom tuning) in half from what was then "market" removing a serious barrier to entry for us common folk.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:50 AM
cjv
Originally Posted by Seal Grey Matte
EPL cut the cost of tuning (especially custom tuning) in half from what was then "market" removing a serious barrier to entry for us common folk.
ECU modification costs have come down as the knowledge and know how became understood and the tools for doing it became available. Do you know specifically what EPL introduced to "cut the costs?"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Evolution of the 996tt. Who's who.