996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Evolution of the 996tt. Who's who.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 09:42 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Guys it's so excited to read every step all you genius tunners did to build this expectacular cars that we now enjoy so much.I am amazed by the results and to read how you got there inventing so many parts,trying parts from GT3 and being so brave,because to blew a Porsche engine is not 0.05 cents,when you did not even have a shop.Much of this work was make in a garage,it's just amazing............i feel i am in the NASA

I just have to thank you all,specially my tuners TODD K and MARKSKI

Last edited by cjv; 08-28-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:10 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
Don't laugh but the first 996tt in the 10s was actually a tip
I remember it clearly. The truth is, your 1/4 mile times were my target numbers when I first got into the Porsche scene.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:15 AM
Mark Ambrose is infamous around these parts
long-time lurker...as i remember (in no order of chronology or significance) from reading the boards:

Protomotive was extremely influential, introducing a lot of technology and tuning solutions very early on
- Intakes in rear wells / hardpiping
- tuning / MAF solutions (1.3 bar cutoff?)
- crazy camshaft work
- crazy builds that seemed pioneer a big trend using Garretts and thinking outside the box of KKK turbos. it seemed that previous to that, everyone was doing some KKK k16/k24 hybrid (perhaps 9ff was using Garretts)...from what i've read it seems this has revolutionized the market and tuning strategies completely, where now virtually all include some form of either gt28/gt3071/gt3076/gt35r; e.g. "Wilbur's" car using some t3/t4 hybrid or something; Vralexander's revolutionary build; Markski; Divexxtreme (popularizing k24/18g)

CJV's s-car-go was on another level, introducing an invaluable amount of technology through R&D

911 Design FPM - perhaps concurrent with the aforementioned builds, producing monster power (800+rwhp) at "low" boost levels ~ 1.3 bar

9ff 840hp doing 230+ at Nardo, circa 2003

Ruf 590 Nardo was using ported headwork (if i recall correctly) in 2003

BuddyG / PES Stage 5 - 700hp early on

Kevin @ UMW with the k16 stage "X" zero clearance turbos

EVOMS started with the 640gt or so, after which (circa 2005/2006?) their GT700 became very popular

Moton Clubsports really going beyond the ubiquitous Bilstein PSS9

...the list goes on. i have no affiliation with any aforementioned tuner, just experience with a euro modded k24 car.

- Ambrose

Last edited by Mark Ambrose; 08-28-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:41 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
so who was the first to coin the term Chicktronic?

Old 08-28-2010, 02:50 PM
calcareer is infamous around these parts
I remember following the developments of Sportec, and when they came out with the SPR1 everyone seemed to take notice. I believe these Sportec tuned 911's had over 800 HP and were able to do 236 MPH on the top end. Who would have ever thought that the 911 platform could ever knock on the performance door of the Bugatti Veryon!

Last edited by cjv; 08-28-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:32 PM
Banned
Shotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud of
Guys

What do u know about 9ff??

Old 08-28-2010, 04:36 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Shotcaller
Guys

What do u know about 9ff??
Well. that is where I learned about the GT3 exhaust cams being used on the 996tt motor. I know there is more to their builds than this.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:41 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by calcareer
I remember following the developments of Sportec, and when they came out with the SPR1 everyone seemed to take notice. I believe these Sportec tuned 911's had over 800 HP and were able to do 236 MPH on the top end. Who would have ever thought that the 911 platform could ever knock on the performance door of the Bugatti Veryon!
Ruf was obtaining that top end on some of their cars on the autobahn for some time now. Their hp was less and I believe they did it in conjunction with gearing.

I also believe Sportec had some innovations ........ does anyone care to state what they were.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:48 PM
cjv
I had EVOMS do my modified World Cup Plenum for me after I discovered they had done one prior. I believe they were the first to do this.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:08 PM
GT2996TT has a spectacular aura aboutGT2996TT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by cjv
I also believe Sportec had some innovations ........ does anyone care to state what they were.
Twin throttle bodies and dual injectors per cylinder comes first to mind for the SPR1.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:14 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by GT2996TT
Twin throttle bodies and dual injectors per cylinder comes first to mind for the SPR1.
Couple questions if you know. One servo motor or two? Did the injectors come on together or were they staged?

Old 08-28-2010, 05:22 PM
M275 is infamous around these parts
Sportecs Special intake manifold(s), Twin Injectors per cyl.
http://cdn-www.rsportscars.com/image...g1600_w800.jpg

Also, "A much harder and smaller-diameter heat-treated crankshaft sits in re-machined bearing seats" "added bolt-holes drilled"
"the water-cooling path throughout has been optimized"
etc.
mentioned in this article http://www.europeancarweb.com/tuned/...t80/index.html

Last edited by M275; 08-28-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:35 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by M275
Sportecs Special intake manifold(s), Twin Injectors per cyl.
http://cdn-www.rsportscars.com/image...g1600_w800.jpg

Also, "A much harder and smaller-diameter heat-treated crankshaft sits in re-machined bearing seats" "added bolt-holes drilled"
"the water-cooling path throughout has been optimized"
etc.
mentioned in this article http://www.europeancarweb.com/tuned/...t80/index.html
The article goes through a lot of pain to not disclose anything. However if what is said is to believed and you understand their code words, the crank was re ground for NASCAR Oval bearings (smaller, harder and capable of better function at high rpm's). The injectors are "staged" (they state one injector tapers while the other comes on) and therefore different motronics or a piggy back system is being used as the Porsche ECU is not (to my knowledge) capable of controlling "staged" dual injectors or multiple servo motors.

Last edited by cjv; 08-28-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:45 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
Doesn't it seem a bit "underpowered" given all the "mighty" stuff they put in it??I mean, it makes 800HP but reading the article it sounds like a starship with flux capacitors.No disrespect intended.

From what I've understood CJV is using stuff like multiple throttle bodies, dual inj., special intake headers etc.. to achieve MUCH higher power levels..

Old 08-28-2010, 05:49 PM
GT2996TT has a spectacular aura aboutGT2996TT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by cjv
The article goes through a lot of pain to not disclose anything. However if what is said is to believed and you understand their code words, the crank was re ground for NASCAR Oval bearings (smaller, harder and capable of better function at high rpm's). The injectors are "staged" (they state one injector tapers while the other comes on) and therefore different motronics or a piggy back system is being used as the Porsche ECU is not (to my knowledge) capable of controlling "staged" dual injectors or multiple servo motors.
It is their own piggyback controlling the 2 throttle bodies, all 12 injectors and boost. It works in conjunction with the stock ECU to let it think that everything is being controlled by it. The second set of injectors does not start working until 75mph as far as I can remember, and their car passes Euro4 emission regulations, or even more stringent Swiss emissions rules.
I don't know much about their internal mods other than the engine can rev up to 8600 RPM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Evolution of the 996tt. Who's who.