996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

My GT2 vs Peter's 3.8L monster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 06:29 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
Sounds like you're having fun Scott. I'm looking forward to hearing about your new runs.

A simplistic way to expalin this is that more timing will give you a more responsive (peppier) engine off of boost ala n/a but it limits the level of boost you can run safely. This is all relative to the turbos your run and the cfm they produce at a given psi.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:34 AM
MorePSiTehBett4 is just really niceMorePSiTehBett4 is just really niceMorePSiTehBett4 is just really niceMorePSiTehBett4 is just really nice
I wonder how you guys would do with the larger turbos, scott when do you hit full boost on 1.6 bar?

any of you porsche guys tried the precision turbos or holset or borg warner

I wonder how you guys would respond to lower boost numbers with a larger turbocharger, would it kill the low end completely....i doubt it as your twin 35r buddy is having great midrange

I am assuming a precision 6262(tiny bit smaller iirc than a 35r) or 6765(larger than a 35r but smaller than a 40r) will kill it has anyone tried a 40r? or hta 35r?

Old 08-31-2010, 06:36 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MorePSiTehBett4
I wonder how you guys would do with the larger turbos, scott when do you hit full boost on 1.6 bar?

any of you porsche guys tried the precision turbos or holset or borg warner

I wonder how you guys would respond to lower boost numbers with a larger turbocharger, would it kill the low end completely....i doubt it as your twin 35r buddy is having great midrange

I am assuming a precision 6262 or 6765 will kill it has anyone tried a 40r? or hta 35r?
There are several running the 35's in various trims hopefully they can chime in on the driveability.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:29 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Powell
It is helpful some what to the Porsche community as to show what these motors are able to do, but when it comes to telling your tuner this... Well it's a whole different story. Me: "I made 30.1psi peak tonight coming back from a friends in 3rd" Justin: "What did I tune your car for again? 27psi peak right?" Me: "Yup... But it was really cool spinning all 4 through when it hit hard into boost!" Justin: "Why do you even tell me things like this?"
funny stuff giving the tuners an ulcer. But great information for sure. thanks for posting it.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:50 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ReeknHavic
Sounds like you're having fun Scott. I'm looking forward to hearing about your new runs.

A simplistic way to expalin this is that more timing will give you a more responsive (peppier) engine off of boost ala n/a but it limits the level of boost you can run safely. This is all relative to the turbos your run and the cfm they produce at a given psi.

Thanks much ReeknHavic that's is better to understand.Now i know.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:59 AM
MorePSiTehBett4 is just really niceMorePSiTehBett4 is just really niceMorePSiTehBett4 is just really niceMorePSiTehBett4 is just really nice
tuners tune the torque curve, so what kind of turbo you have has tons of impact on that; a large big horsepower turbo will usually not be able to achieve big torque; this also brings up your engines volumetric efficiency as the car with better flowing heads and better setup lb for lb of boost with the same turbo will make a nicer curve and there is another variable, as scott said his buddies car with great flowing heads is doing great with probably 5-10lbs per min more of a turbo at a lot less boost, those heads are no joke, his V. E. is wayyy up with that car, probably revs wicked fast too

some tuners tune with more boost and less timing..and some idiots just do both but they might not be idiots, just have the car on kill mode :devil:

Old 08-31-2010, 08:11 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Great thread, great info.
I just woke up from a deep slumber, I thought 996 TT motors were maxed out
at 1.44 bar as that is the max that I ever ran. :-)
Cheers to all my Pcar buddies ! and yes I am 100% satisfied driving a Volvo...

Old 08-31-2010, 08:58 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by woodtster
great thread, great info.
I just woke up from a deep slumber, i thought 996 tt motors were maxed out
at 1.44 bar as that is the max that i ever ran. :-)
cheers to all my pcar buddies ! And yes i am 100% satisfied driving a volvo...

porsche there is not substitute:d

Old 08-31-2010, 09:20 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
Marty you coming in October? I am hopefully bringing my Polaris RZR. It is not as roomy as our ghetto Limo from the last years, but it will sure roll them up if we get in a race on the side line LOL!

Old 08-31-2010, 09:57 AM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by justinn
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

It is what the car is tuned for, not the boost pressure. If someone is super aggressive with the tuning then your engine might go kaboom at 1.2 bar. If they are more conservative, then it might last at 2bar....

so to reiterate...

BOOST PRESSURE HAS ABSOLUTELY NO BEARING ON SAFETY(within reason). It is the TUNING

It is impossible to tell you what is safe, and what is not. The tuner of your car is the only one that can answer that question.

Let's think about this for a moment as I have said it before and don't like to repeat myself.... edumacation time

What is your boost pressure? xxpsi (fill this in)

What is your cylinder pressure? xxxxpsi (fill this in)

Do your headstuds clamp the head on, or your pressure hoses?

So will someone please explain to me how boost pressure DIRECTLY affects the headstuds? Let's take an example here.... what is more likely to stretch your studs/blow a headgasket?

18 psi and 30 degrees of ignition advance with 100 RON fuel, ORRRRR

25 psi and 10 degrees of advance with 100 RON fuel?

please, no cheating

Justin
Justin - U should host a live thread chat on this topic sometime. I am pretty unedumacated when it comes to this topic. I am on my very first car with FI and I am still trying to learn.

Good stuff.
Eric

Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
You weren't in slumber mode when you blew by on 5 Saturday.

I was just cruising down the road in the GT2 Saturday and next thing I know I'm getting the ricer flyby.

Marty you coming in October? I am hopefully bringing my Polaris RZR. It is not as roomy as our ghetto Limo from the last years, but it will sure roll them up if we get in a race on the side line LOL!

That little limo is going up for sale if anyone has interest. I'll even include a copy of boom boom pow or whatever the heck he was playing in it.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:30 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
I will be bringing multiple boxes of wine to the mile. I like to keep it classy in those parts! Be prepared!

Old 08-31-2010, 11:42 AM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
I will be bringing multiple boxes of wine to the mile. I like to keep it classy in those parts! Be prepared!
I couldn't help but think of the Ron Burgandy Anchoman show "Keep it classy San Diego."

Old 08-31-2010, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by ReeknHavic
I couldn't help but think of the Ron Burgandy Anchoman show "Keep it classy San Diego."
LOL I was thinking of that when I wrote it LOL! Wasn't sure if anyone was going to catch it though.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:22 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by justinn
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

It is what the car is tuned for, not the boost pressure. If someone is super aggressive with the tuning then your engine might go kaboom at 1.2 bar. If they are more conservative, then it might last at 2bar....

so to reiterate...

BOOST PRESSURE HAS ABSOLUTELY NO BEARING ON SAFETY(within reason). It is the TUNING

It is impossible to tell you what is safe, and what is not. The tuner of your car is the only one that can answer that question.

Let's think about this for a moment as I have said it before and don't like to repeat myself.... edumacation time

What is your boost pressure? xxpsi (fill this in)

What is your cylinder pressure? xxxxpsi (fill this in)

Do your headstuds clamp the head on, or your pressure hoses?

So will someone please explain to me how boost pressure DIRECTLY affects the headstuds? Let's take an example here.... what is more likely to stretch your studs/blow a headgasket?

18 psi and 30 degrees of ignition advance with 100 RON fuel, ORRRRR

25 psi and 10 degrees of advance with 100 RON fuel?

please, no cheating

Justin

OH, MY HEAD. Ok, if I win do I get a GT2RS? I'll say 18 psi at 30 degrees advance. KABOOM. !!!

Ok, so now my question is lets say you have 18 psi at 20 degrees and that equals in power 30 psi at 10 degrees, which is the better all around setup? the higher pressure or the more advanced timing? How do the curves differ at this point.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:27 PM
justinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Prche951
OH, MY HEAD. Ok, if I win do I get a GT2RS? I'll say 18 psi at 30 degrees advance. KABOOM. !!!

Ok, so now my question is lets say you have 18 psi at 20 degrees and that equals in power 30 psi at 10 degrees, which is the better all around setup? the higher pressure or the more advanced timing? How do the curves differ at this point.
Good one!!

It really depends on the design of the engine at that point, but let's take the 996 TT engine for example(seems relevant in this case ). Because of the cam profile, head design and intake manifold; you have various points in the curve that require varying amounts of advance... Theoretically(let's use your 20 degrees advance example) if you were running 20 degrees of advance at 5000 rpm at 18psi on a GT35R setup with moderate hotsides(we'll call this peak torque ). On the TT, you might actually end up with as much as 30 degrees by 7500rpm at 18psi. Maybe even more; without roasting any metals. So my example was technically a trick question as noone actually asked WHERE in the powerband these advance numbers were. Porsche actually designed their mapping around this and advanced timing like crazy after 6500rpm or so. This was done to combat the turbos, head design, cam profile, intake manifold designs while still making power. They coupled all of that with a sensitive knock sensing system though. After changing all of those things.... your mapping also has to change to reflect this. Bear in mind that this is all "surface tuning" at this point. We'll assume that the bore and stroke were already taken into account along with the squish(head design) and about 20 other vairiables. Since Porsche uses some form of calculated load, we'll use that as gospel for the determination of what the actual ignition advance is, as opposed to actual load(boost), or just MAF values. So using calculated load, it takes into account injector pulsewidth, MAF, Boost Pressure, RPM, etc to determine the proper advance at that particular moment in time(pretty sleek stuff for something designed in the late nineties). Tony at EPL might have more insight as to the exact algorithm Porsche uses to determine where everything needs to be. The newer cars get a bit more in depth with time based firing as opposed to solely position based firing.

Scott... So sorry to hijack your thread, but you always get stuff stirred up with giving everyone tons of info on your build

Justin

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My GT2 vs Peter's 3.8L monster