996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

My GT2 vs Peter's 3.8L monster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 07:19 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bone_doc s4
Car sounds like a beast Scott!! Are you running Marski's 850 kit?
I'm actually running a Protomotive setup with a TPC motor build (Pauter rods and the newest Porsche lifters).

My turbos, however, happen to be the same ones that Markski now sells in his outstanding 850 setups.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:23 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by art4iza
Scott, did you put the head studs yet? Very important security for 1.8bar. Looks like your car is running very efficient with the set up you have. Congrats.
Different tuners have different thoguhts on this: EVOMS and BBi obviously prefer large head studs. Switzer and TPC don't believe in them at all. Protomotive does builds with both, based on what the customer wants.

There are stock cars running larger turbos than mine (and making more power) on stock heads studs at 1.9 BAR without issues. My head studs, while stock, have been overtorqued beyond factory spec.

Considering all of that; I'm honestly not worried about running 1.8 BAR at all.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:30 AM
Thanks, guys. I should have some 100 octane (1.6 BAR) 60-130 runs today or tomorrow.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:40 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Different tuners have different thoguhts on this: EVOMS and BBi obviously prefer large head studs. Switzer and TPC don't believe in them at all. Protomotive does builds with both, based on what the customer wants.

There are stock cars running larger turbos than mine (and making more power) on stock heads studs at 1.9 BAR without issues. My head studs, while stock, have been overtorqued beyond factory spec.

were your head studs retorqued after a few heat cycles?

Old 08-30-2010, 07:42 AM
Originally Posted by OS Inspector
were your head studs retorqued after a few heat cycles?

Yes they were.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:50 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Yes they were.
use an engine dyno or just bolt in car heat cycle and then drop back out?

Old 08-30-2010, 08:35 AM
Unfortunately, they had to do it the hard way. No engine dyno.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 08-30-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:39 AM
Unfoortunately, they had to do it the hard way. No engine dyno.
how long how many cycles before it was retorqued n did they find any studs/nuts that were not at full torque?

Old 08-30-2010, 08:44 AM
how long how many cycles before it was retorqued n did they find any studs/nuts that were not at full torque?
Wow, lots of questions.

As far as I know, no nuts were not at full torque. I'll have to check to see how many cycles it was done for. Mike builds race motors that win the 24 hours of Daytona (literally), so whatever methods he used, I'm comfortable with.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:13 AM
Banned
Shotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud of
Thanks, guys. I should have some 100 octane (1.6 BAR) 60-130 runs today or tomorrow.
Scott

U old ran was 5.49sec...How much boost??

Old 08-30-2010, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by Shotcaller
Scott

U old ran was 5.49sec...How much boost??

posted by scott

3.6 with headwork and cams. Made 830rwhp at 1.4 BAR, ran 4.90 60-130 and trapped 148.

I then went to 35s and made 889rwhp at 1.6 BAR, and ran a 4.67 60-130. Never got a chance to go to the track with the 35s.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:37 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !

I have in the past made 30.1 psi or so roughly 2.0bar of boost with my motor. This was done 2 or 3 times on pulls to test to see the car was doing (mainly seeing how much I needed to adjust the controller for the weather). I was never able to make any kind of successful passes on ANYTHING high because of traction issues. I know the 997TT's have ran over 2.1bar from what I've been told.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:56 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
posted by scott

3.6 with headwork and cams. Made 830rwhp at 1.4 BAR, ran 4.90 60-130 and trapped 148.

I then went to 35s and made 889rwhp at 1.6 BAR, and ran a 4.67 60-130. Never got a chance to go to the track with the 35s.

That was Scott's 996TT I think he may have been referring to the GT2 which ran a 5.49

Old 08-30-2010, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by bmoores
That was Scott's 996TT I think he may have been referring to the GT2 which ran a 5.49
Ben - exactly.

Shotcaller - The previous 5.49 in the GT2 and was at 1.7'ish BAR on a 50/50 mix of C16 and 104 octane.

Tonight, I'll run at 1.6 BAR on straight 100.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Powell
I have in the past made 30.1 psi or so roughly 2.0bar of boost with my motor. This was done 2 or 3 times on pulls to test to see the car was doing (mainly seeing how much I needed to adjust the controller for the weather). I was never able to make any kind of successful passes on ANYTHING high because of traction issues. I know the 997TT's have ran over 2.1bar from what I've been told.
Chris - That's good information. Thank you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My GT2 vs Peter's 3.8L monster