996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Video from Road America

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 12:37 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Video from Road America

I posted this in the road racing thread, but I thought some people might be interested who don't follow that thread...

I went to Road America this past week for the BMW CCA National Octoberfest. It's their big deal event, with concours, gymkhana, autocross, and 5 days of DE. I did the intermediate classroom.

They had a lot of cars and a lot of instructors. In the video below, I went out toward the tail of the instructor group, and there were somewhere between 60 and 80 cars out there on the 4 mile track. I think I held up the Porsche marque fairly well. Couldn't post it all, but we went back and counted, and I passed 27 cars in 20 minutes. I just ran out of time...

http://www.youtube.com/daantzig#p/u/0/NyXXdfFHAbc

Actually, there were a few cars faster than me too. There was a couple from Virginia, where she had an X50 and he had a GT2. They were well set up for the track, and they both whipped my butt. Also a couple of cars that started life as Z06's, then moved up. A couple of M3 race cars ran about the same lap times as me - I walked them in the straights, but they caught me in the twistier parts of the track.

My best lap time was 2:33.7. It got hotter later in the day, and I was running more like 2:34-2:36 when I got a clean lap, which wasn't very often.

It was really a blast. Car ran great all weekend.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:13 PM
007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of
Good times, thanks for sharing.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:34 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Great video. What were some of the top speeds that you were hitting on the long straight?

Old 08-30-2010, 04:09 PM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for sharing.
Passing cars takes time...especially if no corner passing in DEs.
Just the same 2:33 is respectable....the more seat time on that track the better you will do.
RA is great fun.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:49 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VividRacingTX
Great video. What were some of the top speeds that you were hitting on the long straight?
At the end of the front straight (up the hill) I was at the top of 5th gear, so 155-160, and about the same on the long downhill straight two turns later. More like 140-145 on the third one, where the braking zone is shorter.

GreggT - Thanks. I saw your lap time of 2:28 on the lap time thread. Pretty stout. I think I can gain a couple of seconds if I cinch up the sub strap a little tighter. Not 5, though.

Jon

Old 08-30-2010, 05:29 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Wow! Jon, this is a great video. Thanks for sharing an congratulation, your a great driver!

Old 08-30-2010, 10:29 PM
willieboy is a jewel in the roughwillieboy is a jewel in the roughwillieboy is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for sharing. Great video!

Old 08-31-2010, 08:00 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
That looks like a fun track to drive Jon, nice going. The car is back in top form too.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:06 AM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
Great, great video Jon, way to represent. Dibs on instruction next year...

Old 08-31-2010, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by landjet
That looks like a fun track to drive Jon, nice going. The car is back in top form too.
Thanks, Larry,

I didn't lay a wrench on it all weekend, except once to swap tires left and right. What a pleasure that was!

Jon

Old 08-31-2010, 05:00 PM
Tireboi is infamous around these parts
very nice

Old 09-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Blacksti is infamous around these parts
Great Video! Thanks for posting!

Old 09-03-2010, 07:21 PM
StPatsDay is infamous around these partsStPatsDay is infamous around these parts
Talking

Fun to watch!

Were you running stock brakes/pads? You got her hauled down smoothly on those long staights.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:30 AM
Originally Posted by StPatsDay
Fun to watch!

Were you running stock brakes/pads? You got her hauled down smoothly on those long staights.
No, stock brake pads wouldn't last very long at Road America. I'm running GT3 6-pots up front, and stock calipers in the rear. 350 mm Girodisks front and rear. Pagid RS29 in front, RS14 in the rear. Motul 600 brake fluid. Brakes were a complete non-issue the entire weekend.

Jon

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.