996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Flashloading (switcher) from GIAC for your ECU!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 09:27 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Flashloading (switcher) from GIAC for your ECU!

I promised it would be soon. So here it is.

You buy a performance file from us or any other GIAC dealer. You can do this at the location or mail the ECU in. The file is loaded through the OBDII port or a plug is plugged in the ECU on the bench. The performance software is loaded in the ECU much like the original program from the dealer or factory was installed. If you choose the switch option you then will receive not only the performance file, but the stock file as well. You receive the car or ECU back and a handheld unit. Simply plug it in to the OBDII port and the unit will control the program you want to run. The unit is a snap to use, plug it in hit the read button and the unit will flash the lights of the programs that are in the ECU. The light will then go and stay lit on the program currently loaded. Press the button you want. When completed the light will then change to that button. Unplug the unit and shove in the glove box and you are done.

No soldering, no mess. I personally run this on my own car. We loved the IBE when it came out, but this process far exceeds the older technology. The current lists of programs available are for the following:

996TT
997S
Cayenne
Boxster and S(loader soon) Currently OBDII flashing available.

If you have any questions please feel free to email or call us or your local GIAC dealer. If you are close to our shop please stop by and I can give you a hands on demo on either my TT or my wife’s Touareg

Last edited by KPV; 02-17-2005 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:49 PM
Banned
FAT-911 is infamous around these parts
Stephen,

That is great, how much are we looking at?

Also for us that have the old programs, how can we go about updating to the flash loaded software and is there a charge for it.

TIA.
George

Old 02-17-2005, 09:54 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
The cost is the cost of the perfomance file which will depend on the level, then 200.00 for the stock files, and 150.00 for the cool hand held Flashloader.

Old 02-17-2005, 10:03 PM
ebaker is infamous around these parts
This sounds great. A few questions
1)With the stock program reloaded, can they detect anything at the dealer?
2) Does the engine hours and mileage run with the upgrade program in place, show up when the origional is reloaded?
3)Will there be any data in the instrument pod computer that won't match the ECU data?
4)Can you get it with 2 different upgraded programs instead of upgrade and stock?
5)If GIAC writes improvements or fixes problems in a program can the new improved program be loaded into the handheld unit so there is no downtime?

Old 02-17-2005, 10:10 PM
1) Not that I am aware of. It is the exact stock file.
2)Yes
3)No, but if you do an ECU flash via mail as in send us just the ECU clear the power supply codes. This indicates the ECU lost power ( or was removed)
4)In time, at the moment it is stock and a performance file.
5)Programs are loaded in the ECU not the hand held unit. The unit is a basically a little computer that tells the ECU to switch programs. All upgrades on your file will be free. Down time will still be short and kept to 24 hr turn around.

Old 02-17-2005, 10:44 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Stephen,
I sent you an email pertaining to some other stuff. Please get back to me as soon as you can.

On this flash loader matter, if I have the Stage 4 and I want the Stage 4R as well, am I SOL???

Old 02-18-2005, 12:40 AM
nman413 is infamous around these parts
Stephen, how's the IBE coming for the 993? I would love to get one to use to switch maps.

Old 02-18-2005, 01:15 AM
Banned
sticky is infamous around these parts
The picture of the hand held program selector shows that it can select from 6 programs, why are you saying you can only have 1 stock and 1 performance file? Isn't the whole purpose to allow easy switching between say a pump gas and race gas program?

Old 02-18-2005, 06:11 AM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
Stephen:

KPV and I want the same thing. We already have Stage 4 hard programed, can we get 4R flash switchable?

Old 02-18-2005, 06:19 AM
Ken and Tim,
Yes this will be aviable, but not at the moment. No you are not SOL, but you will have to wait a little longer. As soon as the update hits the email I will call you.

Sticky,
The unit is a dual purpose unit, it can be used in the Audo and VW as well. The unit will only respond to the amount of programs it has been programed with.

Old 02-18-2005, 07:14 AM
maxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the rough
So to get this hooked up if we already have a hard coded program, we would send the ecu back, and then we would have the stock program added, and the switcher sent back with it?

Old 02-18-2005, 07:32 AM
You are correct!

Old 02-18-2005, 07:58 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Now, aren't you guys happy there are soooo many 996tt's out there. If it wasn't for the quantity, people like GIAC couldn't afford the R&D to make such great products.

I guess there is a bright side to all this depreciation.

Old 02-18-2005, 03:39 PM
Banned
sticky is infamous around these parts
Say I have a 600 hp stage 4, can I have the unit programmed with the pump gas 600 hp profile, a race gas profile, and then a stock and valet profile?

Old 02-18-2005, 04:35 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
sticky,
read above.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Flashloading (switcher) from GIAC for your ECU!