996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Built and installed my own gt2 mod kit with instructions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 01:31 PM
Dr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by awdbiturbo1
I am awaiting the response from dgreen, As soon as i get it my cars goes back together. i will keep you posted.
It appears that an extended slave rod for a gen2 mitsubishi eclipse is the same diameter as our stock slave rod but is slightly shorter in length. I still have to pull my slave off the car and get some calipers on the stock slave rod to double check though. But online research and eyeballing the mitsu slave rod seems to confirm that it will work. I'll try to get around to pulling my stock slave rod in the next couple of weeks to see if it fits.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:19 PM
jsteg is infamous around these parts
If someone wants to send me the turbo and GT2 rod, I can make custom rods with the GT2 end and the length of the turbo. PM me.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:47 PM
awdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
It appears that an extended slave rod for a gen2 mitsubishi eclipse is the same diameter as our stock slave rod but is slightly shorter in length. I still have to pull my slave off the car and get some calipers on the stock slave rod to double check though. But online research and eyeballing the mitsu slave rod seems to confirm that it will work. I'll try to get around to pulling my stock slave rod in the next couple of weeks to see if it fits.
I would love to have a solution that does not take to much thought (lazy hehe). If we can get some measurements done we can get them made up to the exact size without any worry. So... Who's got the measurements lol

Old 03-23-2012, 10:36 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Maybe I'm wrong, but does EVOMs use a rod with the GT2 style mushroom dome on it? My understanding is that EVOMs uses the Turbo rod without the mushroom dome? You would think that as much money as EVOMs charges for the GT2 kit that they could have had a proper rod machined to make this a true "plug in" kit as opposed to having to use a rod that is not truly a proper fit and may fall into the bell housing in some instances. Any experiences here with that kit? I don't necessarily want to start manufacturing or modifying parts like hoses and slave rods to save a couple of hundred bucks but would like a kit that is comprehensive with correctly designed and manufactured parts (i.e. slave rod and hose) to make this work without any headaches.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:39 AM
awdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Maybe I'm wrong, but does EVOMs use a rod with the GT2 style mushroom dome on it? My understanding is that EVOMs uses the Turbo rod without the mushroom dome? You would think that as much money as EVOMs charges for the GT2 kit that they could have had a proper rod machined to make this a true "plug in" kit as opposed to having to use a rod that is not truly a proper fit and may fall into the bell housing in some instances. Any experiences here with that kit? I don't necessarily want to start manufacturing or modifying parts like hoses and slave rods to save a couple of hundred bucks but would like a kit that is comprehensive with correctly designed and manufactured parts (i.e. slave rod and hose) to make this work without any headaches.
Good question, Not sure. I think if we could find out what they use it would be a good baseline as to what we should use. I am on a time table now though. My car is all apart ready to go back together...

Old 03-23-2012, 01:45 PM
Dr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of light
I would love to have a solution that does not take to much thought (lazy hehe). If we can get some measurements done we can get them made up to the exact size without any worry. So... Who's got the measurements lol
I have the eclipse rod (it was $15 so I went ahead and just ordered it) and I will be pulling the stock rod out soon, so I can measure it. I scoured the internet and found the dimensions of the GT2 and stock rods (although I'm unsure of the accuracy), but those dimensions are on my personal computer which I don't currently have.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:06 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
I used the evoms kit with the longer rod. Using a Clutch Masters stage 3 and their LWFW. the engagement point is perfect, right off the floor.

The evoms rod size

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...lt-mods-6.html

From the picture stock rod on the left, evoms rod on the right

Attached Images  
Old 03-24-2012, 08:03 AM
jsteg is infamous around these parts
Jekyll, any plans for the TT stock rod? I would like to get it if you don't think you will use it.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by jsteg
Jekyll, any plans for the TT stock rod? I would like to get it if you don't think you will use it.
Yes, I'd like to keep it. That's the reason I'm trying an eclipse slave rod instead of simply cutting some material off my stock rod.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Just got back from my "local hydraulic shop" to see if he can make me the right size length hose for my gt2 conversion. The minute i said it was for a car and not a machine he said he could not do it, No matter how many times i explained and tried to simplify things he said he could not do it because he would not be able to re use the barbed fittings from the original line.....

Old 03-26-2012, 11:45 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
Then he's lying to you. It's how I did mine and still holding strong for thousands upon thousands of stop and go city driving. Find another shop, it's totally possible.
Some shops won't do lines they think your using in a braking system in a car as they don't want the liability. Tell him it's for a clutch and not a brake. If he still says he can't do it, as I said I did as well as many others. Nothing wrong with it.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:17 PM
i went to another hydraulic shop who over the phone seemed very helpful. I brought the line over there, they had no issue finding a line. However when it came down to the fittings they were clueless as to how to remove them, and what to use for fitting and thread... I think i am just going to buy the oem line. How short is it?

Old 03-28-2012, 12:27 PM
tbarcelo is a glorious beacon of lighttbarcelo is a glorious beacon of lighttbarcelo is a glorious beacon of lighttbarcelo is a glorious beacon of lighttbarcelo is a glorious beacon of light
awdbiturbo1 - not sure where in the Northeast you are, but I had a shop in Lowell MA do this for me. With some help from gearhead I got the job done. I don't do a ton of stop & go driving, but I did the mod Feb 2011 and have had no trouble since. Let me know if you want the shop's name.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:44 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
i went to another hydraulic shop who over the phone seemed very helpful. I brought the line over there, they had no issue finding a line. However when it came down to the fittings they were clueless as to how to remove them, and what to use for fitting and thread... I think i am just going to buy the oem line. How short is it?
Why don't you call EVOMs and see if they can sell you the line that they use in their kit? I think they have theirs custom made to the correct length and would probably sell you one. I don't see why not....

Old 03-29-2012, 09:04 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
The oem gt2 line will fit BUT you won't be able to use the factory hangers and you have to bend the hose a very sharp 90 degrees at one of the fittings making it very stressed and pulled very tight. It looked like a strong possiblity of failure and leaking so I lengthened the hose to a total length of 20 inches(tip to tip). This allows a stock like fitment and guarantees no leaks or failure on the hose.
It's fairly cheap and you really only want to do this mod once as access can be a hassle.
It's probably why evoms extended the hose in their kit as well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Built and installed my own gt2 mod kit with instructions