996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How to ensure wastegates are properly adjusted

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
How to ensure wastegates are properly adjusted

As the title states, I'm looking for info on how to verify that my wastegate adjustement is appopriate. I've seen posts indicating that if they are set too soft, performance can suffer even though the car is making full boost and is running fine. Just curious, since this is something I've never checked or even thought much about, and every stock 996tt I've ever driven seems to be just about as fast as my epl flashed k16 car (with speedtech exhaust, gt2 ic's, k&n drop in fitler, evo dv's and now stock 18's).

Thanks, Scott.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:01 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
You will need to measure the distance between the locking nut and the end of the bolt.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:29 AM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
The only way to do this properly is to actually calibrate them.

You can search on this site but here is a quick recap:

Originally Posted by DERBOOST
plenty of threads about this but in a nutshell you put a small hand operated pump hooked to the wastgate, with a ACCURATE guage, then put a dial indicator on the rod end, for a good start on a k24 car you want the rods to move about .005" when ur guage hits 11 psi...that should put u at about 1.1-1.2 bar, do each WG seperately then drive, check boost and repeat adjustment up or down as needed..I run 12.5 psi and make 1.3-1.35 bar

Oh BTW before u move it at all check what pressure u open at,as then u have a really good baseline as to what pressure will produce what bar boost.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
pressurize the WG.... see at what psi it starts to crack open...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 09-10-2010, 01:35 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
pressurize the WG.... see at what psi it starts to crack open...
Agree, it is the PRESSURE at which they begin to move that must be measured- AND both sides must crack at the same pressure.

Measuring the nut distance is ineffective and imprecise.

Measuring 0.005" with a dial indicator is unnecessarily precise.

With your finger you can feel when they crack lose.

Search is a friend...

A

Old 09-10-2010, 03:42 PM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks guys. I did search and saw many threads about adjusting the wg's with a pressure tester, but didn't know if there was a quick and easy way to tell if something is amiss or not.

What are you guys using to test the pressure? Where would I buy the tool? Thanks!

Old 09-10-2010, 04:03 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
My local Indi had a vac/pressure hand pump with a gauge that we used.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Brad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to behold
I built mine out of an air pressure regulator and a brass "T" block with a gauge on it. The "T" contains the regulator output, the gauge and the wastegate actuator.

IT takes about 50.00 to set it up with a decent regulator, your regulator on your air compressor *MIGHT* do it, but it'll be hard to get real fine adjustment without stepping the pressure down twice. Sears will have a pressure regulator as will *most* places that sell paint or pneumatic equipment.