996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

EVOMS Turbo inlet pipes do not fit - Please Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Lysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really nice
EVOMS Turbo inlet pipes do not fit - Please Help!

Synopsis:
I'm working with a buddy to install the EVOMS (Evolution Motorsports) turbo inlet piping and the pipes do not fit. Their website says they are direct replacement and a perfect fit but this has been far from the case.

I feel bad because I recommended them since they were on sale to 6speed members, and ensured him it would be a quick replacement, but the amount of time it's taking him to modify the pipes has pretty much made it a terrible deal. EVOMS recommended cutting the pipes 1/2" to get them to fit, so he's having the pipes cut in 1/2" increments, then testing for fitment (rinse and repeat) to ensure he doesn't cut too much off. This is starting to take a lot of time, and it's getting expensive.

We need to know exactly how much to cut off and will they ever fit properly? EVOMS was very nice in trying to help us but the 1/2" number we were told is not accurate so we need to know the proper amount to trim off to get them to fit. It's only a matter of time before he throws these inlet pipes in the trash and hits me with a tire iron.

I searched and couldn't find any help on here. Any and all help appreciated as soon as possible. We are running out of time and it's costing $$$$ by the hour.

The Parts

Air Inlet - Turbo Ducts
SKU:INTKFAID996TT
Direct link on EVOMs site: http://bit.ly/dpxpBQ

Old 09-13-2010, 09:04 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Lol
I bought one for my GT 700 kit which was supposed to be carbon fiber! After taking the stuff out to change to a Proto set up we discovered half the **** was plastic and not carbon fiber as promised!

Old 09-14-2010, 02:05 AM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Yep, mine needed to be cut and modified with a sleeve/coupler as well. "Bolt on" rarely exists in the aftermarket.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:11 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
look at the factory unit and lay it out next to the new one to see where the discrepancy is in each tube. The overall shape looks correct, so the difference has to be minimal.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:59 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Wish I would have taken pictures, but my original install took 4 or 5 hours I want to say and we did it with the motor in the car. The only problem was my silicone hoses needed to be different because I had GT3076's on the car. I had one little snag but Stephen at the late Imagine Auto called me at 9:30pm on a Saturday night to walk me through the part we were stuck on.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:27 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
look at the factory unit and lay it out next to the new one to see where the discrepancy is in each tube. The overall shape looks correct, so the difference has to be minimal.
yup put them side by side and problem areas should become obvious...

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 09-14-2010, 08:29 AM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Lysoleverywhere
Synopsis:
I'm working with a buddy to install the EVOMS (Evolution Motorsports) turbo inlet piping and the pipes do not fit. Their website says they are direct replacement and a perfect fit but this has been far from the case.

I feel bad because I recommended them since they were on sale to 6speed members, and ensured him it would be a quick replacement, but the amount of time it's taking him to modify the pipes has pretty much made it a terrible deal. EVOMS recommended cutting the pipes 1/2" to get them to fit, so he's having the pipes cut in 1/2" increments, then testing for fitment (rinse and repeat) to ensure he doesn't cut too much off. This is starting to take a lot of time, and it's getting expensive.

We need to know exactly how much to cut off and will they ever fit properly? EVOMS was very nice in trying to help us but the 1/2" number we were told is not accurate so we need to know the proper amount to trim off to get them to fit. It's only a matter of time before he throws these inlet pipes in the trash and hits me with a tire iron.

I searched and couldn't find any help on here. Any and all help appreciated as soon as possible. We are running out of time and it's costing $$$$ by the hour.

The Parts

Air Inlet - Turbo Ducts
SKU:INTKFAID996TT
Direct link on EVOMs site: http://bit.ly/dpxpBQ

Which pipes are not fitting? Can you email me photos directly to ian@evoms.com of the installation?

F: 480.317.9901
E: info@evoms.com
Home of the Worlds Fastest 997TT Porsche(s)
997TT Standing Mile = 234.6 MPH
997TT Standing 1/2 Mile = 217.09 MPH
Fastest 1/4 Mile = 9.29 @ 172.7 MPH
60-130 MPH Time = 3.28 Seconds
Old 09-14-2010, 08:35 AM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by robmd99
Lol
I bought one for my GT 700 kit which was supposed to be carbon fiber! After taking the stuff out to change to a Proto set up we discovered half the **** was plastic and not carbon fiber as promised!

**** Starter We have never built carbon fiber air inlet ducts. Most likely you purchased the S CAR GO carbon ducts. The lower pipes were most likely replaced with our plastic ones because the carbon ones rubbed on the suspension and would get holes in them. Whoever did your installation and replaced them with our plastic lower pipes instead of the carbon ones could have saved your turbos from ingesting debris.

F: 480.317.9901
E: info@evoms.com
Home of the Worlds Fastest 997TT Porsche(s)
997TT Standing Mile = 234.6 MPH
997TT Standing 1/2 Mile = 217.09 MPH
Fastest 1/4 Mile = 9.29 @ 172.7 MPH
60-130 MPH Time = 3.28 Seconds
Old 09-14-2010, 08:52 AM
str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !
Subscribed... I have the EVO inlet pipes sitting in my garage for about a year now.

EVOMS: How many hours is realistic to install these without a motor pull? And do they need to be cut as others here have stated... ? Any other install pointers?

Old 09-14-2010, 10:23 AM
str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Evolution MotorSports
Which pipes are not fitting? Can you email me photos directly to ian@evoms.com of the installation?
Can you also post the pics up here so the rest of us can see what we are up against? TIA!

Old 09-14-2010, 11:14 AM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Evolution MotorSports
**** Starter We have never built carbon fiber air inlet ducts. Most likely you purchased the S CAR GO carbon ducts. The lower pipes were most likely replaced with our plastic ones because the carbon ones rubbed on the suspension and would get holes in them. Whoever did your installation and replaced them with our plastic lower pipes instead of the carbon ones could have saved your turbos from ingesting debris.
ROLMFAO!He blames Evo when his cornflakes are soggy too!

Old 09-14-2010, 11:34 AM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by robmd99
Lol
I'm pretty sure Rob at S-Car-Go is the only one who has ever sold carbon fiber inlet ducts. Sounds like you are misremembering....

Originally Posted by str8blst
Subscribed... I have the EVO inlet pipes sitting in my garage for about a year now.

EVOMS: How many hours is realistic to install these without a motor pull? And do they need to be cut as others here have stated... ? Any other install pointers?
I had mine done along with a clutch and GT2 slave conversion, which made everything fairly accessible.

Even though we needed to cut a little and add a small sleeve, I still thought they were nice pieces. And EVOMS slashed their price on these right before I bought them (planned purchase) so that was nice.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:14 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by joetwint
ROLMFAO!He blames Evo when his cornflakes are soggy too!
silly Robbit, carbon is from s-car-go

Old 09-14-2010, 05:21 PM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
I had it installed and it was well worth it. You have to send in the end piece so EVO can modify it (turn around time is 1 day) they told me that when I ordered it. I guess if you order it over the internet without talking to EVO first, you would be screwed. They should make that clear on their website. When you get the piece back from EVO it fits like a glove. The difference in tubing is huge (diameter). It gets rid of all the kinks and opens up the inlets (better spool).

Last edited by 9Eleven; 09-14-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:01 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
I have used this kit for years and ran into a similar problem when I originally installed mine. It required a cut and splice with silicon hose to obtain proper clearance on one side. A very simple "on the fly" adjustment. In my opinion, anyone that works on these cars should be able to tweak the pipes to achieve a proper fit, fairly easily.

Since we have started selling these kits, we have had a few customers run into the fit issue and I have walked them through it with success. Others kits go right on without any problem. I am not sure why there is a difference, but even on the installations that require an adjustment, it is very slight and has always been accomplished quickly and easily. The advantages of these pipes far outweigh any small fitment adjustment required to install them. We have even designed an intake plenum to work in conjunction with the pipes that makes for a very nice complete fresh air turbo intake.

Here is a picture of what we have designed to work with the EVO pipes.

Powder coated silver

Natural polished finish

installed

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 09-14-2010 at 06:03 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EVOMS Turbo inlet pipes do not fit - Please Help!