996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Evo Viii Versus 996tt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 09:19 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
no Noel. Rich made me do it. it was Larry's idea!

Old 02-21-2005, 10:50 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally posted by MJC123
9.5 @147.....I'm guessing this is not a daily driver?
no... but the ones he is biulding... at low boost(21psi) its still damm fast- 12.2s...on 93 premium. and on high boost(37psi) and race gas- it does 10's- actually 10.5s. Ive seem it myself at the track. I thought my car was fast... not anymore.
I think its going to be an awesome everyday driver. Ive had the high end Benz, Bmw's,etc.... I don't get impressed anymore... SO people can laugh all they want... but I will be driving a "ricer" for the first time in my life. It took some time convincing... but hanging around the shop for over a year, I witnessed firshand how fun these evos are. For the amount Ive spent on my TT on upgrades, I will have a 600 whp fun car.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 02-22-2005, 05:04 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally posted by flatsixnut
Perhaps this is one reason I dont hang out in these forums much anymore....Porsche forums are for Porsche related topics.

I am sure there are plenty of import tuner forums where your evo topics would feel right at home.

Is it that hard to not open a thread

Old 02-22-2005, 07:29 AM
New Me
Terry is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by ZAMIRZ
Please name the many porsche tuners. This thread is 3 pages long and so far not a single name has been dropped, who are you talking about?
3 Pages of fun I think, Now it's 5 pages almost

As Far as which tuner, I think A hint was already dropped, use your imagination.

Long live the Forum of Truth!

The EVO Lives

Old 02-22-2005, 08:00 AM
New Me
Originally posted by Hamann7
No matter how fast it is, it still looks ricey. What an impression that car would give at the local country club or a luncheon meeting at the Peninsula or Four Seasons!

Besides, it's all a money thing. EVO is a great bargain, but if cost is not much of an object, why buy it?

It's like saying Charles Shaw wine (2 buck chuck) is a great value... well, for $2 it's phenomenal, but as a policy I don't buy $2 wine. Sorry if that sounds snobby.
Two Buck Chuck, the 21st Century version of Tickle Pink or T-Bird.
I know people that buy it and say oh it isn't that bad for $2.00.

Who would drink $2.00 wine and even admit to it?

If you can afford the P-Car you can afford more than $2.00 agreed

Old 02-22-2005, 08:09 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Originally posted by shiggins
They're not the prettiest beasts around but I would much much rather slam one of those into a wall racing around a track than a TT.
Why, are you suicidal?

Old 02-22-2005, 08:17 AM
New Me
Bottom line is nobody here would drive the EVO or own it instead of the TT, of course. But many don't want to do TT's, DE's etc. where there are more and more idiots that can't drive and risk having their TT damaged by someone else.

So you can get the Radical, Cup Car or for some, for less $$$ drive the EVO as a second car and race/TT the vehicle without the risk of writing off 100K+ car. Drive the TT to the CC and BH but the EVO to the track. Of course if you can afford the TT, Radical and Cup Car, now that works too!

Old 02-22-2005, 09:04 AM
DAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to behold
This is why I have a dedicated track car that costs < $20k. It gets banged up regularly in wheel to wheel racing and I don't care. And I can pull it into the pits and whale on it with a hammer to straighen the dents and not cringe....try that with your TT next track event. and I like having a full cage....

try this video on for size. its and WRX Sti spanking a 360 at the track....

http://www.supper.com.sg/track/Ferra...uHighlight.mpg

doesn't look ricey to me passing the modena in the turns...

and for those of you worried about what the evo might do for your country club image try pulling up with one on a trailer behind your cayenne and see how heads turn...then try worrying less about what other people think.

-davew

Old 02-22-2005, 09:05 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Terry
Bottom line is nobody here would drive the EVO or own it instead of the TT, of course. But many don't want to do TT's, DE's etc. where there are more and more idiots that can't drive and risk having their TT damaged by someone else.

So you can get the Radical, Cup Car or for some, for less $$$ drive the EVO as a second car and race/TT the vehicle without the risk of writing off 100K+ car. Drive the TT to the CC and BH but the EVO to the track. Of course if you can afford the TT, Radical and Cup Car, now that works too!

there are also about a dozen owners here that use the STI or EVO as their daily beaters

Old 02-22-2005, 09:22 AM
New Me
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DAVE W
[B]This is why I have a dedicated track car that costs < $20k. It gets banged up regularly in wheel to wheel racing and I don't care. And I can pull it into the pits and whale on it with a hammer to straighen the dents and not cringe....try that with your TT next track event. and I like having a full cage....

try this video on for size. its and WRX Sti spanking a 360 at the track....

Probably boils down to the drivers also, take a stock WRX STI versus a stock 360CS with the same driver, same track and watch the lap times. A good driver in a bad car can beat a bad driver in a good car, we've all seen it many times.

Old 02-22-2005, 09:37 AM
DAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to behold
A good driver in a bad car can beat a bad driver in a good car, we've all seen it many times. [/B]

yes but the bottom line is a good driver can make any car go fast and have fun doing it... Evo or TT.....as long as I am pushing the thing 10/10th to the limits of adhesion I don't care what I'm in on a track or what it looks like...but for me I'm more apt to drive 10/10 when I know the damage will not be as painfull....I'm sure that the 360 driver was thinking the same thing...

-dave w

Old 02-22-2005, 09:38 AM
FYI, that's a 550 I believe

Old 02-22-2005, 10:04 AM
New Me
Originally posted by Soon2be993tt
FYI, that's a 550 I believe

Nice eye, nobody in a Ferrari street car will be pushing 100% if they have to drive it home, I wouldn't...

I have seen a few 360 owners drive to and from the track and they seem to be happy at 90% which is still having fun for most.

Old 02-22-2005, 11:18 AM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
I am seeing more and more tuners now switching their efforts from some 996TT/993TT development to EVO VIII turbo development.
Certain So. Cal. Tuners, North of DownTown Los Angeles. . .
Here are the FACTS: The owner of the unnamed shop (Speed Gallery) purchased an Evo as his own personal car (one of several personal cars, including a 996TT, 944, MB SUV, etc). Given that he tunes cars (primarily Porsches) for a living, he did some modifications to his personal Evo in-house. Thereafter, he hired an outside Evo tuner to further modify his new car precisely because he is not an Evo expert. Speed Gallery continues to specialize in Porsches, as evidenced by the cars present at the shop on any given day. In fact, Speed Gallery has several projects in progress to introduce new Porsche modifications.

Terry, if you have any FACTS to back up your hypothesis that Speed Gallery has switched its emphasis from Porsches to Evos, as you suggested, please share your FACTS. Otherwise, your claim is unsupported by the facts and you are a tool with an ulterior agenda.

For anyone so interested, Terry’s hidden agenda is to denigrate Speed Gallery. Allow me to support my hypothesis with FACTS:

1. Terry’s very first post on 6speedonline, dated February 18, included an invective directed at Speed Gallery:

Where did you have it loaded at, not at Fab Gallery hopefully?
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...threadid=22267

2. Three days later, on February 21, Terry started this thread for the obvious purpose of spreading a false rumor that Speed Gallery has switched from Porsche tuning to Evo tuning, and 11 of Terry’s 15 total posts on 6Speedonline are on this thread. Thus, 12 of Terry’s 15 total posts to date seek to disparage Speed Gallery.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...archid=254651.

Those are the FACTS, as opposed Terry’s hidden agenda.

Craig

Ps: Yes, I am a Speed Gallery customer.

Last edited by Craig; 02-22-2005 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:18 AM
Turbo Racer is infamous around these parts
1. 2 buck chucks is good and local and since i don't like wine very much, for me there is no utility in spending much more.

2. I agree with some of the things that have been said about the viii. in fact, it seems that japan, uk and the usa car manufacturers have engaged in an all out war against the german car makers and f-cars. case in point, i went to the bmw dealer over the weekend and was suprised to see that for 2006 all models are going to have big changes to keep up. The guy told me to keep my 540 sport... the point is, no longer can the tradional marqee cars be a safe bet on having overwhelmiing performance that was once available to only the very wealthy. I see this as a paradigm shift. MB has done a lot through AMG to keep up with performance (at the expense of msrp, just look at the sl65).

3. for track use, even the best driver can get into bigtime trouble so for me, SAFETY, coupled with performance would be paramount. Thus, an inexpensive but safe track car would be desirable due to the reduced cost of repairs.

4. there is no question that i would not want an vii sitting in my driveway when i can afford to keep my turbo and mod it at will.

slightly OT but i drove by a mustang meet and was somewhat disappointed that there was no lure or intrigue for me just ordinary cars that don't grab me. i am sure that some of them would be faster than me but having owned a cobra i wouldn't go back to that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Evo Viii Versus 996tt