996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Evo Viii Versus 996tt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 06:49 AM
Jesus is infamous around these parts
Knowing that I have both units I will state my personal opinion.

- The EVO VIII is a great unit that I recently obtained in 2003, it has ups and downs like any other car. I have a 1000+HP STREET 4g63, with tag, full interior and stuff. Their engines can put out outstanding amount of horsepower with the right set up. Coming back to the EVO VIII it's a great car in handling, acceleration and in braking. With a small amount of $ you can easily outrun a 996TT. ( I have a 2002 996TT 6spd )

- Recently the car went low 12's in the 1/4 taking it easy. A lil bit more tuning the car will be in the 11's without a doubt. 11's will be good enough for daily use. Obviously like someone mentioned, when you go to a local country club you rather be driving the 996 and not the EVO. That's just the way it is.

- EVO's tranny are pretty strong for a 3,300lbs car. Transfercase is pretty beefy too. Unless you are someone that doesn't have a clue on how launching an AWD you will be breaking everything. At around 22psi you can put out pretty decent amount of power on the EVO's. We have been doing a lot of testing in our AWD dyno here in FL and its amezing the differences that we have seen with the EVO MR and regular EVO VIII.

Also, don't understimate the TOP END power of the EVO's...stock they can go as high 160mph. With BPU mods ( Basic Performance Upgrades) the EVO can easily surpass 175+. I think it would be a nice investment to have both worlds, 996TT and EVO. It's definately a great unit and if you ask me....POWER per LITER EVO is on top. I owned one of the first 03 E55's around here and it was a fun unit but nothing like the 996TT. I recently ordered a CLS 55 AMG as I hear will be quicker & faster than the E55 because its lighter and has better aerodynamics. Let's see how this one performs when gets here.

Old 02-24-2005, 10:26 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Yes, but the question is can you run 1000hp (or even 700hp) on these high levels of boost over and over again without reliability problems?

In other words, can you pound the thing on full boost lap after lap or in an open road race in Nevada in 110-120 degree temperatures?

I tend to think not.

Old 02-24-2005, 10:37 AM
Porsche Fiend
I guess. I just personally can't find any reason to buy an EVO. I think the GT3 is a much better "Piuma" car than even a modded EVO. Unless of course you are talking about these past 2 weeks, where some off-roading is required. The EVO MR would be in its element with its Active Center Differential-- it'll be like a WRC race. I guess that's why MetalSolid bought one

Old 02-24-2005, 11:15 AM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Hamann7
I guess. I just personally can't find any reason to buy an EVO. I think the GT3 is a much better "Piuma" car than even a modded EVO. Unless of course you are talking about these past 2 weeks, where some off-roading is required. The EVO MR would be in its element with its Active Center Differential-- it'll be like a WRC race. I guess that's why MetalSolid bought one
T,
don't think too hard why we bought it. for us, it's just a toy, a different kind of toy.

Old 02-24-2005, 11:23 AM
Jack(LA) is infamous around these parts
No matter how fast it is, it still looks ricey. What an impression that car would give at the local country club or a luncheon meeting at the Peninsula or Four Seasons!

Besides, it's all a money thing. EVO is a great bargain, but if cost is not much of an object, why buy it?

It's like saying Charles Shaw wine (2 buck chuck) is a great value... well, for $2 it's phenomenal, but as a policy I don't buy $2 wine. Sorry if that sounds snobby.
Tyson:

You do sound a bit snobby.

You need to look to your inner beauty (grasshopper) and not rely on your automobile for class distinction.

Old 02-24-2005, 07:13 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
who is saying they wouldn't take a GT3 over an evo?

Old 02-24-2005, 09:36 PM
Jesus is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by mikesmith
I would think you can run the thing at full song when set up properly for the street..Not the drag race stuff like 30psi but closer to 600hp. I see now that 600hp on 93 octane is fine for hard use with studs, rods and pistons done. On a stock engine no way as you stated, 700-1000hp probably not.

But do you need 700-1000hp for street and track use?

maybe 500-600 is enough, heck 600hp on a 996TT is usually enough for the track unless you have spent some serious $$ on brakes and suspension too..

Yet it is a 4 cylinder and only 2.0L so there are heat related issues also anytime your making that much hp for an extended period of time. Should be OK though On Piuma!!
I never said that you need it 700-1000HP, I was just simply making a point regarding the HP figures of the 4G63 powerplant. Porsche is Porsche no doubt about that, but gotta give credit where credit is due...

Old 02-24-2005, 10:19 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Yes, but the question is can you run 1000hp (or even 700hp) on these high levels of boost over and over again without reliability problems?

In other words, can you pound the thing on full boost lap after lap or in an open road race in Nevada in 110-120 degree temperatures?

I tend to think not.
Yes you can. My friends do it all the time... Im building mine as we speak. I dont know of a 1000HP evo, however, my friend the enginebuilder has the fastest evo in the country- 8.71 sec @156mph. No its not a street car anymore, weighs 2400lbs. but mine will be 600 to the wheels on High boost at @36PSI( race gas). on low boost u can run low 12.s and do 93 octane. his cars run 30 to 50K mines and only a head gasket blew once... I can repalce that myself. usually if nothing goes wrong in the beginning- like turbos blowing due to poor quality- and that happened a few times, then car ca is bullet proof. I will drive mine every day- his clients do as well. he use a autronic stand alone ECU from australia. he worked for a rally race team for 5 years- he know :whats up". there is a company caalled WWW.VISHNUTUNING.COM.. THEY SPANKED A LOT OF IMPORTS AT THRE ROAD TRACKS.
2004 Car & Driver Supercar Challenge Second in Class
2004 Cannonball One Lap of America First in Class.
I think for the money... its a steal and lots of fun.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 02-24-2005, 11:23 PM
Paul S is infamous around these parts
Vishnu- that's who did my car- excellent work, great little company, Shiv is a genius and a freakin' scary a$$ downshiftin' high revvin' throttle blippin' MANIAC. He takes you on these post install, post dyno runs through Pleasanton that you will not forget. Holy Cripes.
Yes you can get great gobs of power for that 'lil winged wonder.

Old 02-25-2005, 12:07 AM
Porsche Fiend
Originally posted by Jack(LA)
Tyson:

You do sound a bit snobby.

You need to look to your inner beauty (grasshopper) and not rely on your automobile for class distinction.
Yes Jack, you are right.

But hey, I am improving a little bit. I'm actually considering buying the new Audi RS4, if it ever becomes available here!

Old 02-25-2005, 12:13 AM
Porsche Fiend
Originally posted by MARKSKI
Yes you can. My friends do it all the time... Im building mine as we speak. I dont know of a 1000HP evo, however, my friend the enginebuilder has the fastest evo in the country- 8.71 sec @156mph. No its not a street car anymore, weighs 2400lbs. but mine will be 600 to the wheels on High boost at @36PSI( race gas). on low boost u can run low 12.s and do 93 octane. his cars run 30 to 50K mines and only a head gasket blew once... I can repalce that myself. usually if nothing goes wrong in the beginning- like turbos blowing due to poor quality- and that happened a few times, then car ca is bullet proof. I will drive mine every day- his clients do as well. he use a autronic stand alone ECU from australia. he worked for a rally race team for 5 years- he know :whats up". there is a company caalled WWW.VISHNUTUNING.COM.. THEY SPANKED A LOT OF IMPORTS AT THRE ROAD TRACKS.
2004 Car & Driver Supercar Challenge Second in Class
2004 Cannonball One Lap of America First in Class.
I think for the money... its a steal and lots of fun.
Mark, that is good to know. It seems that for the price, it really is a steal. Not bad for an econobox platform.

For me, a car has to have a certain cache to it.

Different strokes for different folks. I personally would rather focus on tuning a Porsche. The two cars obviously cannot be compared as they are used for different purposes, I guess it's just a matter of what you like.

If I were to go the ricer route, my car of choice would be the Skyline GT-R.

Old 02-25-2005, 12:17 AM
MetalSolid is infamous around these parts
Yes Jack, you are right.

But hey, I am improving a little bit. I'm actually considering buying the new Audi RS4, if it ever becomes available here!
Tyson, buy an EVO VIII and you'll be cured, my son.

Old 02-25-2005, 12:19 AM
BOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to behold
this is the biggest apples and oranges comparo i have ever heard. Sure an Evo is a great performer at 30k and a bargain at that. But come on guys how many people who can afford a GT3 are going to forget about the GT3 for an evo. They might buy an EVO to compliment the GT3 but not to replace it. I love the evo but I would not even think twice about buying a GT3 over it if I had the money. Comparing modded cars to stock cars is a little off imo because you can make just about anything go. My 944 turbo is a cheap car and will beat on 95% of GT3s around 95% of tracks but that is because it is modded. However if someone offered me a GT3 I would get rid of my 944 turbo in a heartbeat. PLus there is no doubt in my mind that everyone will agree that the GT3 looks a hell of a lot better and is a hell of a lot more reliable than a EVO running 25PSI of boost.

Old 02-25-2005, 12:21 AM
Porsche Fiend
Noel, I just saw Arling's EVO tonight. Very cool... but certainly not my style.

I can see how it would be a great replacement to the revered blue wagon that claims many kills in the Santa Monica mountains.... But I got rid of the M5 precisely because I couldn't figure out why I needed it after a while.

To put it into perspective for the price of an EVO, I can do a Ruf engine conversion to the GT2. WOW. You really did get a bargain.

Old 02-25-2005, 12:30 AM
MetalSolid is infamous around these parts
I drove the thing home tonight, and what do I get? At least 5 punks trying to race me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Evo Viii Versus 996tt