996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

18G's too slow......now what?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 11:20 AM
jane01 is infamous around these parts
Most appreciated the replies gentleman thank you.

Tony this is actually your 91 Octane CA tune. We purchased from EPL last year in anticipation of it becoming a 'custom' tune however frankly its been very challenging to get you on the phone to facilitate. This is by no means a dig simply a very candid review of our post sales experience.
If you would be so kind would please define 'custom' tune and how we may go about working in that direction. This combined with injectors seems like at least a good starting point to taking things further.
BTW do the 60 pound injectors require reinstalling the stock FPR as opposed to running the current 5 Bar FPR?

Regards,

Jane

Old 09-16-2010, 11:33 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jane01

Tony this is actually your 91 Octane CA tune. We purchased from EPL last year in anticipation of it becoming a 'custom' tune however frankly its been very challenging to get you on the phone to facilitate. This is by no means a dig simply a very candid review of our post sales experience.
If you would be so kind would please define 'custom' tune and how we may go about working in that direction. This combined with injectors seems like at least a good starting point to taking things further.
BTW do the 60 pound injectors require reinstalling the stock FPR as opposed to running the current 5 Bar FPR?

Regards,

Jane
Jane,

Please drop me a line : Tony@eplabs.net. As for getting us on the phone, we do have a full time phone stuff. Just call in! We would be happy to assist you!

Thanks,
Tony

Old 09-16-2010, 11:42 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !

Regards,

Jane
ussualy for a custom tune you datalog it via durametrics, send back the info to your tuner and he will adjust accordingly and so on so forth. unless its dyno tuned.

as for i would def. go with injectors . most tuners go back to the stock fpr when doing injectors . but i think tony still keeps the 5 bar but i may be mistaking.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:47 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by unvmy996
ussualy for a custom tune you datalog it via durametrics, send back the info to your tuner and he will adjust accordingly and so on so forth. unless its dyno tuned.

as for i would def. go with injectors . most tuners go back to the stock fpr when doing injectors . but i think tony still keeps the 5 bar but i may be mistaking.
Usually I keep the 5 bar when adding our injectors and remove the 5 bar when tuning cars with 60lb injectors. The standard 60lb injectors everyone uses do not perform well under high pressure.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:50 PM
seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !

Regards,

Jane

Which stock tune are you running? Do you mean an off-the-shelf EPL K24/18G file, or a K24 (or even K16)? If the tune isn't meant for the hardware you have, you've got a lot of power left on the table.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:32 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by seth_horwitz
Which stock tune are you running? Do you mean an off-the-shelf EPL K24/18G file, or a K24 (or even K16)? If the tune isn't meant for the hardware you have, you've got a lot of power left on the table.
+1...there are a couple 18g's in the 5's 60-130...maybe you just need some more love from EPL?

Old 09-16-2010, 08:42 PM
911stripper has a spectacular aura about911stripper has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
Who's tune? Sometimes just working with a tuner that will have you custom tune your existing set up can transform the car. If you go this route, I woudl definitely recommend adding injectors.
i always agree with you Tony, but you forgot to tell him about adding your meth setup.

cheers

Old 09-16-2010, 08:59 PM
jane01 is infamous around these parts
Have to admit I don't fully understand the way meth functions, its potential in this type of set up or installation. Will require further research for sure + plumbing.
Stock to 18G's was such a kick in the pants that incremental improvements from here I suspect are quite subjective however if that's not the case then great.
Tony thank you for your further post. Shall drop you a line to discuss further.
Seth the current tune is EPL's off the shelf K24/18G.

Regards,

Jane

Old 09-16-2010, 09:29 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
I have 18g's with injectors, USP cooler .. I'm running 91 also.

CA 91 is the biggest problem, meth will improve octane and the water will cool the intake charge.

I have not installed on my TT yet, but did have it on my Audi B5S4. It makes a big difference, and will allow you to run more boost, probably 1.3 - 1.4 bar, with the added octane, I would guess you are looking at a very nice gain.

Hope to add this setup (Aquamist HFS3) to my car before next spring, need to work out a few other things first.

Last edited by JSBear; 09-16-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:35 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
I would do everything at once....much cheaper that way and it sounds like that is where you will end up, anyway.

My advice is to go with Marks big 800 kit, everyone who has it loves it.

PS, I finally got my car back and she is a beast on pump gas at 1.25 bars.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:21 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ReeknHavic
I was in your shoes not to long ago. I went big boy (Ski850GT) with my new setup but I wonder how my car would have felt if I had changed everything except the 18g. The 18gs are really just an outstanding turbo. So, Y-pipe, 4.5 in Bell Core intercoolers, Ford MAF, fender intakes. external bov (which you could probably skip), 3 inch X flow exhaust, 60 lb injectors, secondary fuel pump. You wouldn't need new headers just use yours or have them lightly ported like I did. I'm guessing this at 1.5 bar would really wake up your car quiet a bit. Also another option you may consider is moveing up from the 18g to the 20g with all of your supporting mods. Talk to Todd Knighton and Markski to see what they think.

20Gs baby !

Old 09-17-2010, 09:29 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
20Gs baby !
Agreed.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:43 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bmoores
Agreed.
18's are fine.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:44 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PAULIEWALNUTS
18's are fine.
Cynthia has touched your car. Thats the only thing you've got going for yourself. Outside of that its not bad for a beater.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:52 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bmoores
Cynthia has touched your car. Thats the only thing you've got going for yourself. Outside of that its not bad for a beater.
I will be present for your next oil change.I feel the need to personally inspect your engine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 18G's too slow......now what?