996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

18G's too slow......now what?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 10:29 AM
jane01 is infamous around these parts
Woodster is the the setup you describe a pump gas oriented one?

Thank you,

Jane

Old 09-17-2010, 10:34 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jane01
Woodster is the the setup you describe a pump gas oriented one?

Thank you,

Jane
Hi Jane,

I can share a little of my experience going from 18g's to 20g's. The 20g's on pump gas perform similarly to 18g's on race gas. The upgrade is significant in cost however. I would suspect that if you have already done a clutch it will still cost you about 6K minimum for the hardpiping, IC's and various other tidbits you will need. Is it worth it? Every penny. I think the 20's are one of the best all around turbos for these cars and I've been fortunate to drive a few of the various setups around from K16/16g cars to GT30 cars. The spooltime is almost zero the power delivery is extremely linear relative to the power it makes. I wouldn't think twice about doing the upgrade. If you plan to run pump gas primarily you can tune accordingly and run 1.2bar all day every day.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:49 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bmoores
Hi Jane,

I can share a little of my experience going from 18g's to 20g's. The 20g's on pump gas perform similarly to 18g's on race gas. The upgrade is significant in cost however. I would suspect that if you have already done a clutch it will still cost you about 6K minimum for the hardpiping, IC's and various other tidbits you will need. Is it worth it? Every penny. I think the 20's are one of the best all around turbos for these cars and I've been fortunate to drive a few of the various setups around from K16/16g cars to GT30 cars. The spooltime is almost zero the power delivery is extremely linear relative to the power it makes. I wouldn't think twice about doing the upgrade. If you plan to run pump gas primarily you can tune accordingly and run 1.2bar all day every day.

+1
Bobby's 2001 white 996tt was I believe the first one to be fitted with 20gs.. granted, he ported, polished, clipped the turbine wheel... and even extrude and honed the hot side.... that car gave a many nightmares... even the 30rs... but the owner was an elite in what he does... always pushing the envelope... thus the great results...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 09-17-2010, 10:51 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
+1
Bobby's 2001 white 996tt was I believe the first one to be fitted with 20gs.. granted, he ported, polished, clipped the turbine wheel... and even extrude and honed the hot side.... that car gave a many nightmares... even the 30rs... but the owner was an elite in what he does... always pushing the envelope... thus the great results...

That's one of the cars i've been lucky enough to drive actually.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
That's one of the cars i've been lucky enough to drive actually.
In minnesota?

click to view

Old 09-17-2010, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
In minnesota?
Yup was there about three weeks ago.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:18 AM
Basic Sponsor
Yup was there about three weeks ago.
Hows it running? U know there was a few hands in there before it came to MInnesota..

click to view

Old 09-17-2010, 11:24 AM
Runs very well. Wasn't on full kill though boost was waay down.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:27 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Ben,

On 91 Octane I would not run more than 1.1 bars.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Ben,

I would agree depending on who tunes the car and whether or not its an off the shelf file or a custom file.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:38 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Ben,

Ben lives in Texas,where we have 93 oct. I know it is confusing.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:44 AM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
I don't want to threadjack here, but what about lag on the 20g's ?, personally I like as much torque down low on the street. If I were looking to take the next step past 18g's, taking the torque down low into consideration (and I mean down low as possible, peak TQ under 4k), what turbo is going to give me this without completely sacrificing HP up high ?

Last edited by JSBear; 09-17-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:46 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Ben,

i agree with jits, on straight 91 hell i wouldnt run anything over 1 bar.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:59 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JSBear
I don't want to threadjack here, but what about lag on the 20g's ?, personally I like as much torque down low on the street. If I were looking to take the next step past 18g's, taking the torque down low into consideration (and I mean down low as possible, peak TQ under 4k), what turbo is going to give me this without completely sacrificing HP up high ?
Alpha series turbos,...but at $5k-$6k a set...a $1200 upgrade seems like a nice compromise...

Old 09-17-2010, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by JSBear
The 20's with the hard piping setup actually have less lag than the 18's in my experience. They are probably one of the best all around day to day turbos because of the low end torque is phenomenal. The 20's are the turbo you are looking for ....... I'd give you a personal guarantee on that.

EDIT: Just looked at your mods. The upgrade to 20g's is a no brainer for you!! Do you have an upgraded clutch too? If so, I bet you could have everything done including the switch to 20g's for about 3-4K (Hard Piping, Additional Fuel Pump, misc.)

Last edited by bmoores; 09-17-2010 at 12:22 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 18G's too slow......now what?