996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What should I look for when buying a 2002 996TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 10:25 PM
Cash Bar is infamous around these parts
What should I look for when buying a 2002 996TT?

I am in the market for a 2002 996TT. Never had a Porsche before. All my owner friends say it's a great model year. I've been trying to do some research but have a few questions.

1) Are all 2002 model TTs AWD ?
2) Can you tell from the VIN if it has the x50?
3) Is TIP a horrible thing to have?
4) Besides x50, what options came in 2002?
5) Best colors to buy, or avoid?

Anything else you can add I sincerely appreciate. The quest begins in earnest Saturday.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:32 PM
Lysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really nice
If you can find a white one jump on it. They are SO hard to find. Silver was the closest thing I could find to it within my time constraints. Black is a dime a dozen. Granted P cars look great in black, it seems 9 out of 10 that I see are black or blue. Get what YOU like though. Oh, and remember this. Everything is for sale...for the right price. Just because you don't see it on Autotrader or your favorite car site doesn't mean the guy won't let it go. Make offers

Old 09-16-2010, 10:36 PM
Thanks. That's the kind of stuff I need to know. My owner friends all own blk or red. Trying to get a handle on the options that are a must or not as well. And how to tell without actually flying to see the car.

BTW- My future car will reside half the yr in Atlanta(Cumming).

Old 09-16-2010, 10:44 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
I would look for a car with 1) Full Carbon Fibre, 2) Factory Aero Kit... if your keeping it stock: X50 package. Avoid TIP in my opinion. Good Luck!

Old 09-16-2010, 11:04 PM
Lysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really nice
Yeah, I'd avoid a tiptronic. Seems like it would be harder to sell later on too. I live in Alpharetta / Johns Creek area. Not far at all. May I ask why the year 2002 specifically?

Old 09-16-2010, 11:29 PM
I have a place in Alpharetta now but I'm looking in the cumming/lake area. I get up every other wknd in Summer.

My owner friends said to avoid 01 models and logically the 2002 price point is next on the list. I like the idea of white if I can find black interior.

Figuring low/mid 40's depending on miles and condition.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:52 PM
Durango Kid has a spectacular aura aboutDurango Kid has a spectacular aura about
Condition of the car is the MOST important consideration.

Silver, Black and Grey are most common. Personal preference should prevail, but you are going to find the most cars in these colors. White is coveted. It's neutral and preferred by some, but can be difficult to find.

I purchased a 2002 in July. My experience was:

I looked for 9 months. I passed on at least 3 cars that would have been good purchases and regretted all three later. I ultimately purchased a low mileage, unmolested model and couldn't be happier.

There are many who would argue to find a virgin car and mod it to your preference. If you can afford to do so, then why not.

However, mods are like home improvements... you'll never recover that expense.

If I were to do it again, I would decide the aftermarket options that were most important to me and find a car with those.

You'll find it easier to obtain financing on an '03.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:56 PM
tscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to behold
Just an alternative opinion. I only considered a Tip. Just cause I know how to drive a 6-speed doesn't mean I want to

In traffic, in particular, the TIP is great.

The challenge of posts like this is: "What's the difference what we like"?

Buy what YOU like.

Oh, and:

1) All are AWD
2) Dealer can tell you from the VIN if it is an X50
3) No (in my opinion)
4) Don't know
5) The color you like.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:46 AM
Thanks everyone. Gathering info as I go. Hoping to have a nice list before I head out on the road to see a few possibilities.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:00 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
guns under the seat.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:14 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PAULIEWALNUTS
guns under the seat.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:26 AM
tvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond repute
I'd definitelly stay away from '01s - they don't even have a glove box for the gloves?!

Old 09-17-2010, 09:53 AM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by tvr-4
I'd definitelly stay away from '01s - they don't even have a glove box for the gloves?!

Or the guns!

Old 09-17-2010, 10:22 AM
My 03 Turbo is kind of for sale, but I'm not sure I"ll wanna sell it after I drive it with all the new stuff. If interested we can stay in touch and play it by ear. You're welcome to stop by and check it out regardless.

It will be finished up today. Just had all of the following installed/completed yesterday.

transmission rebuilt with new/taller gears new synchros
new/updated transmission mount
new 19" wheels / 4 new tires
new stage 2 clutch / lightweight flywheel
new clutch slave / master cyl
new fuel pump / venturi tubes updated
new recaro seats
new laser interceptor / laser jammer
new water pump
new coolant tank
new pullies
new belt
cleaned intercoolers / all sensors
oil changed
new power steering
new upgraded Turbos
new intake inlet pipes

and more...

Old 09-17-2010, 07:07 PM
willieboy is a jewel in the roughwillieboy is a jewel in the roughwillieboy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by tvr-4

Now that's funny.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What should I look for when buying a 2002 996TT?