996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

First, stiff clutch then high-pitched whine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 09:32 AM
Rental Metard has a spectacular aura aboutRental Metard has a spectacular aura aboutRental Metard has a spectacular aura about
First, stiff clutch then high-pitched whine

So about a week ago my clutch travel went to the floor and the clutch got very stiff. I read online and found that this could mean a failing clutch accumulator. I decided to check my pentosin level under the hood and found it totally empty. I refilled it and the problem totally went away (although I assume it is still leaking).

A week later (yesterday) I go on a nice long drive through some back roads with a car club. At some point my car starts to refuse to rev over 3.5k-4k RPM. It seems like it's hitting a rev-limiter.

I figure that the car was overheating and went into limp mode. I pull over and hear a high-pitched whine coming from the front driver-side under the car (sounds like a failing fuel pump). This is with the car sitting in neutral.

I did some research and some seem to say this is related to the leaking pentosin which is also connected to the power-steering pump. Although the noise doesn't go away with the clutch engaged. The fluid level appears to be a little lower than when I filled it but the clutch isn't having any problems at the moment.

The car does have an after-market chip (installed by previous owner/ unknown tune), EVOMS diverter valves, and Tubi exhaust. I am not seeing any overheating from the gauges or check engine lights. Am I looking at one issue or multiple? Would the GT2 Clutch Master and Slave Cylinder Conversion fix this as some posts seem to suggest?

Old 09-19-2010, 03:02 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
bet its the to bearing. whine comes when you depress the clutch right

Old 09-19-2010, 03:53 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
accumulator and or Slave...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 09-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Rental Metard has a spectacular aura aboutRental Metard has a spectacular aura aboutRental Metard has a spectacular aura about
No, whine is regardless of clutch position or rpm/speed. It's constant.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:39 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
opps sorry my accumulator went by by but no wine just a hard pedal at start up

Old 09-20-2010, 07:10 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
The high pitched whine coming from the front would probably be the fuel pump. If it were coming from the rear, that would be the power steering pump/reservoir. The stiff clutch pedal is usually the accumulator, and it is recommended to change that along with the clutch slave when it goes bad. If you have a Pentosin leak, have it fixed as soon as possible. It is highly flammable and could cause a car-b-que.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:03 AM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
I had the same isssue . Just replaced the power steering fluid reservoir/pump and the whine went away. I never had any clucth related issue, i think thats a seperate issue..most likely accumulator.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by vbmw335
I had the same isssue . Just replaced the power steering fluid reservoir/pump and the whine went away. I never had any clucth related issue, i think thats a seperate issue..most likely accumulator.
Was your whine coming from the front of your car as well? With the weird RPM issue and location of the whine, I may -as landjet suggested- be dealing with a fuel pump issue as well.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:56 PM
I appreciate all of the responses. Is there anyone else who would like to chime in?

Old 09-20-2010, 09:11 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
If the noise doesn't go away when you depress the clutch, AND you the car won't rev past 3.5k, I think you have a different issue going on.

The PS reservoir whine goes away when the clutch is depressed. BTDT.

I'd take it to a mechanic and have the car looked at.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:19 PM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
The whine in my car came from the back. Its well documented in this forum that its a power steering res issue. Just replaced the reservoir and its all good now.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:30 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I think that since the noise is coming from the front of the car, plus the ECU put you into limp mode, this seems like a fuel pump problem. Have your codes read, this will tell you what is going on.

If your Pentosin levels were low and you filled the reservoir, that would make the clutch action return to normal. Keep an eye on this. Power steering and clutch are combined in the turbo. If you see any leaking of Pentosin, have it fixed immediately. It is highly flammable.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:42 AM
Thanks for everyone's input. I'm taking it to my mechanic tonight. I was hoping that they would be related and I could just to the GT2 conversion mod. I don't think it'll save me much money to do the GT2 mod with the accumulator so I may just hold off on that.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:12 PM
DrivItLkUStolIt is infamous around these parts
Just had the same issue except no rev limit. It was the accumulator and the pump $5000 parts and labor but I was covered with after market warranty. Another way to tell is while it is running and wining unscrew the cap on the hydraulic oil pump engine middle right hand side. It should stop wining

Old 09-24-2010, 07:53 AM
Word from the shop was a failing fuel pump and leaking slave cylinder. I ordered the parts for a GT2 high flow fuel pump and GT2 Clutch Master and Slave Conversion.

Thanks for the input guys!