996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Manual Gearcase Fluid and Antifreeze options:

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 09:41 PM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
Manual Gearcase Fluid and Antifreeze options:

Where can I buy quality fluids for my own changes and not pay stealership prices?
Tranny: Delvac or Shell ? Others?
Coolant: Audi? Off the shelf fluids?
I've been searching for a bit, but not a lot of talk on off-the-shelf fluids...

Old 09-22-2010, 06:44 AM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
Gear Oil's

GT Gears
We recommend that you use one of three oils.
1. Mobil1 Delvac
2. Shell transaxles under the Porsche part number from the dealer.
3. Lubrication Engineers

Kevin (UMW) - only Delvac

My mechanic who races cup cars swears by Royal Purple.

I use Delvac.

Coolant
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...ifrezecoolant/

Originally Posted by jjbravo
Where can I buy quality fluids for my own changes and not pay stealership prices?
Tranny: Delvac or Shell ? Others?
Coolant: Audi? Off the shelf fluids?
I've been searching for a bit, but not a lot of talk on off-the-shelf fluids...

Old 09-22-2010, 06:55 AM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
I had a heck of a time finding the Delvac:

Need two of them: Mobil Delvac 75W-90 gear lube (1 gallon) about 1.4 to fill mine
http://www.lufteknic.com

Old 09-22-2010, 07:30 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Anyone with experience with anything besides M1?

Old 09-22-2010, 07:32 AM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
Matt at GTGears is a great resource.

Matt Monson
Guard Transmission LLC
303-530-1094
gtgears@yahoo.com

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/member.php?u=40410

Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Anyone with experience with anything besides M1?

Old 09-22-2010, 07:39 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
any special tools needed to fill/flush the trans?

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 09-22-2010, 07:41 AM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
A lift . . ..

I did it on jack stands

Old 09-22-2010, 07:56 AM
And what tvurt said...

Originally Posted by prodigymb
any special tools needed to fill/flush the trans?

Old 09-22-2010, 08:11 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Thanks for the diagram. On a side note - has anyone changed front & rear diff fluid? I believe it uses the same 75W-90 stuff.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 09-22-2010, 02:20 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
I just looked for a Mobil distributor in my area. They were a wholesale distributor but sold me the Delvac they had in stock. The only catch is I had to purchase a case or four gallons.

A local to me independent shop had the Shell in a 55 and would sell it to me if I came in with a container.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by tvurt
I just ordered Mobil 1 from these guys. I believe they have it in stock. It was a 100$ shipped for 2 Gallons.

Pelican also has the 75W-90 Red Line fluid

Old 09-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Former Vendor
GTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the kind words fdorn. It's appreciated.

Originally Posted by fdorn
My mechanic who races cup cars swears by Royal Purple.
One comment on this subject. This is one of those instances where you've got to be careful of the context of the comment and be sure you are hearing what you think you are hearing.

Cup Cars don't have synchros in them. They are dog boxes. So their needs are different than the needs of your TT. And beyond that, when we start getting into the synchronized gearboxes some of them have steel synchros and some of them have brass synchros.

The oils listed above that I suggested can be used with good success in pretty much ANY Porsche/Getrag Borg-Warner style synchronized gearbox or a dogbox. I do not universally suggest people use Royal Purple or Redline because of certain circumstances where I have found those oils to be problematic. Those circumstances are for a synchronized gearbox, with brass synchros that is driven on the track. That exact configuration I have found to have shifting issues once the gear oil gets up to "race" temperature and loses a bit of it's viscosity.

A lot of Cup Car teams swear by those two oils. A lot of street car guys love what it does for them on their 1st and 2nd gear shifts when it's cold out or the car isn't warmed up. And my customers who have installed steel motorsports synchros into their boxes like those oils as well and have no complaints.

So take that for what it's worth. If it's a street car and you change your oil often enough the reality is any oil that is mentioned in this thread will be just fine. If you track the car then you want to start looking at specifics a bit more closely. I know some racers who run 75/90 during one part of the season and 75/120 when it's hotter. But that's really irrelevant on the street. Change it once every two years for a street car, and once a year if you do a couple of track days and your gearbox will last a long time and be happy.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:12 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
One comment on this subject. This is one of those instances where you've got to be careful of the context of the comment and be sure you are hearing what you think you are hearing.

Cup Cars don't have synchros in them. They are dog boxes. So their needs are different than the needs of your TT. And beyond that, when we start getting into the synchronized gearboxes some of them have steel synchros and some of them have brass synchros.

The oils listed above that I suggested can be used with good success in pretty much ANY Porsche/Getrag Borg-Warner style synchronized gearbox or a dogbox. I do not universally suggest people use Royal Purple or Redline because of certain circumstances where I have found those oils to be problematic. Those circumstances are for a synchronized gearbox, with brass synchros that is driven on the track. That exact configuration I have found to have shifting issues once the gear oil gets up to "race" temperature and loses a bit of it's viscosity.

A lot of Cup Car teams swear by those two oils. A lot of street car guys love what it does for them on their 1st and 2nd gear shifts when it's cold out or the car isn't warmed up. And my customers who have installed steel motorsports synchros into their boxes like those oils as well and have no complaints.

So take that for what it's worth. If it's a street car and you change your oil often enough the reality is any oil that is mentioned in this thread will be just fine. If you track the car then you want to start looking at specifics a bit more closely. I know some racers who run 75/90 during one part of the season and 75/120 when it's hotter. But that's really irrelevant on the street. Change it once every two years for a street car, and once a year if you do a couple of track days and your gearbox will last a long time and be happy.

Very useful info here..Thanks.
+rep for you.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:36 PM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
Which LE oil do you recommend ?

Old 09-22-2010, 06:13 PM
Matt - as usual - thanks for clarifying. Makes perfect sense now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Manual Gearcase Fluid and Antifreeze options: