996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

BuddyG's Porsche Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 01:37 PM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
Very sorry to hear of your situation Buddy!! How is everything else going?? Planning any trips down here in the future?? Could have some fun again
Evan
PS- Obviously as a competitor to these companies I cannot offer my opinion on the situation, sorry....

Old 02-23-2005, 01:44 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Buddy, sorry to hear of your misfortunes. I hope this gets resolved quickly for you.

And to those who complain about Ruf being overpriced, as you can see sometimes "saving" money costs more in the end.

In the words of the wise Sir Henry Royce, "The quality remains long after the price is forgotten."

Old 02-23-2005, 02:08 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Hamann7
And to those who complain about Ruf being overpriced, as you can see sometimes "saving" money costs more in the end.

In the words of the wise Sir Henry Royce, "The quality remains long after the price is forgotten."
Can't argue with you regarding Ruf...
It's a bit premature, imo to start a tuner bash session, without the said tuners having the chance to chime in. I hope this thread stays civil. Civil parties always work things out in the end....

Old 02-23-2005, 02:31 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Yeah,

I am not trying to tuner bash, I have obviously been very patient and said nothing over the last year that I have been without my car between EVO and PES. I just wanted to get the opinions of this forum and hope to get some response from EVO and/or PES.

If you read my first post I did not give bashing comments to either EVO or PES. In fact Todd from EVO helped me alot in California. I just need this situation resolved so I can sell the car.

I welcome any comments. Believe me I am trying to be civil.

Old 02-23-2005, 02:39 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by buddyg
Believe me I am trying to be civil.

Buddy, I was not referring to you. I based that comment off of past threads that got a little out of control. Just wanted to nip things in the bud (no pun) so that this thread can help you find a satisfactory resolution.

Old 02-23-2005, 03:28 PM
Jeremy@PES is infamous around these parts
This is a very unfortunate situation. First, let me say that we HAVE been in contact with Buddy over the past months regarding his car.
The way we see it...

Buddy picked up his car after the upgrade with the car making approx 650 HP. There were still a few tweeks needed in the software at that time and Buddy was aware of that. We recommended breaking in the system for a 1000mi or so. Buddy took the car back to Michigan and did a track event immidiately.

The next phase of this saga was when Buddy expressed interest in doing the shootout. Since Buddy wanted to bring the car to CA we offered to pay the shipping and have Garrett tune the car on Garretts dyno. The car was then shipped to Garrett and tuning began. Buddy an Todd flew in for the event. The night before the event the car made 800 flywheel HP and everyone was freeking out and happy. Especially because Buddy wanted 700HP.

The car then got driven at the event and blew some hoses off etc. This type of thing is a real pain at an event, but anyone who has ever done a track day knows s**t happens. During all the driving we have done we never blow hoses off. Buddy drove his car home from PA to MI and didnt blow any hoses. Anyway, the event was what it was.

Next Buddy gets in his car with NO time to spare and drives the car at top speed like a maniac across the country to try and make it to Tail of the dragon. Buddy becomes somewhat of a cult hero posting updates as he rockets along. Suddenly ----UH o - Buddy gets stopped by a roadblock and arrested. We all feel for him because we have all driven at mach 3.

Buddys car still OK

Next from what I know the car went to evo because Buddy was going to get some bodywork put on. Todd noticed a small coolant leak when he got the car back. He put the car back to stock and brought it to the dealer for warranty. Turns out the leak was something small and he did all that work for nothing. Now Todd gets in the middle of all kinds of stuff with Buddys family regarding the car. He is told not to do any work to the car while Buddy is in rehab. Then the car sits. Finally he gets the OK to go back to stage 5. Todd puts stage 5 back on the car and drives the car for a week to make sure all is OK. Everything is fine and he ships the car back to Buddy.

A few months later Todd tells me that he has to ship Buddy new Turbos because Buddy blew them. I couldnt imagine how those turbos could go After that short time but we sent him a new set without ever getting the original set back and taking the word of Buddy and his mechanic.

Time goes by again and Tony gets a call from Buddy that his car is smoking and that the turbos are bad again. Buddy wanted to send the car. We agreed to take the car in, check if the turbos or something else on the kit broke and repair it at no charge to Buddy.

The car came in and the kit was removed. There does not appear to be a problem with the turbos and I question if that diagnosis was ever correct. There is engine oil in the headers. We told Buddy that we would work on the car in our spare time to save him money. We were planning to ship the engine to Todd at EVO for him to open it up and if it turned out to be something like a head gasket, not charge Buddy anything. At this point Todd is VERY backed up with engine work. We will have a local engine builder look at it instead to save time.

What needs to be clear is that PES stands behind its work and we have tons of happy customers. However if you are a person that either races or beats the living daylights out of your car then mechanicals can break. I would think that everyone here is smart enough to realize that. When your car is stock and you miss a shift and bend all your valves, most people would try to take the car to the dealer and have them fix it under warranty, even though they know it is their fault. In this case if something broke inside the engine then blame PES or EVO??????? Come on Buddy, your a big boy and have been around the block. We will help you all we can but you have to assume some responsibility for what you have put this car through. Remember, when you brought us the car we poured about a cup of sand out of your intake manifold because you had been driving around with "the Program" and your driver side intake to the turbo was off so the engine was ingesting all of the road sand/grime for god knows how long????? Now you come on line and try to bash a hard working reputable company. Its just not right.

Old 02-23-2005, 03:47 PM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
The last paragraph is serious. If he had sand in the intake then I think your guys hands are clean.

Old 02-23-2005, 03:52 PM
Bill S has a spectacular aura aboutBill S has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by Jeremy@PES
There is engine oil in the headers.
Sounds like the old seepage of oil through the turbo problem. This is NOT engine damage nor turbo damage. It's probably a bad oil filter check valve, incorrect turbo feed line, or one-way oil check valve going to the engine.

Oh, just saw the sand comment. That could be a small problem.

Old 02-23-2005, 03:58 PM
MANA is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the post Jeremy. I hope you guys can work this out.

Old 02-23-2005, 06:10 PM
Marc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really nice
Re: Re: BuddyG's Porsche Problems

Originally posted by ben, lj
ah, i think you described very well the time (months and months without the car), expense ($40K + multiple shipping) and hassle (all the shipping, driving, and phone calls) involved in modding cars. then the really great thing is after spending all the money and time, your car is worth $0 more to a little less if modded upon resale. sorry it's gotten to this point for you. this is probably why people pay so much more to work with RUF.
Ben thinks as I do all this US based modding brings no extra dollars at reasle time and usually ends up with nothing but alot of headaches sorry too hear all your troubles.

Old 02-23-2005, 06:11 PM
Marc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really nice
Buddy, sorry to hear of your misfortunes. I hope this gets resolved quickly for you.

Agree with Tyson 10000%

Old 02-23-2005, 06:18 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
ohh C'mon guys let's not talk about other tuner such as RUF since the problem has nothing to do with them. bottom line is we can't be charge that kind of money here or that'll be call RIP OFF. for Ruf, good they got the service but they just charge u ahead of time to make sure their *** is covered later if anything goes bad. this is my personal opinion...

Old 02-23-2005, 06:43 PM
I undertand Arling you are correct! EVO has done some great cars and **** happens as well user fault or builder fault when you work on stuff like this

PS whats new on the car front...LAMBO?

Old 02-23-2005, 07:19 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Arling, I think Ruf charges more because their stuff is proven to be factory reliable under hard use, look at how they test their cars on the Nurburgring and sustained periods on the Autobahn. I do not see any Stateside tuner do that much R&D and testing on their products, nor do I see any with that close of a relationship to the factory. Is it any accident that even members of the Porsche family have Ruf cars in their collection?

Old 02-23-2005, 07:52 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Arling, I think Ruf charges more because their stuff is proven to be factory reliable under hard use, look at how they test their cars on the Nurburgring and sustained periods on the Autobahn. I do not see any Stateside tuner do that much R&D and testing on their products, nor do I see any with that close of a relationship to the factory. Is it any accident that even members of the Porsche family have Ruf cars in their collection?
don't get me wrong Tyson as u know i love Ruf as well. i can't see any Porsche person not like Ruf because it's like one step ahead what Porsche offers. my point is this thread is not about how good Ruf is because it's not the focus here. the focus here is things went wrong & someone has to take care of it to get Buddy's car back on the road again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BuddyG's Porsche Problems