996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

BuddyG's Porsche Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 09:30 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Originally posted by Hamann7
To be fair, one of the main things to consider is that Buddy and PES were really pioneering into new territory with this Stage 5 package. His car was producing big peak HP well before the GIAC tuners started offering the GT700/800 packages, which seem to be direct evolutions of what they learned from Buddy's car. Obviously Buddy had the ***** to shell out the cash and tread into new territory, and I hope the tuners will keep that in mind. He really was a big advocate for PES and EVO. My hope and intuition tells me that the boys at PES will step up to the plate and somehow work out a reasonable solution with Buddy.
Tyson,

I couldn't have said it better!

Old 02-24-2005, 09:46 AM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
Grab a seat, this may take a while…

I thought I would interject a few things to hopefully explain this in further detail. First of all, Buddy’s car was sent to EVO to have a long list of upgrades performed. Some of the upgrades were cosmetic but most were engine related. Buddy and I decided that at the 750+ HP level that he was running, it was only a matter of time before the stock internals would let go. We were to perform a complete motor rebuild with new rods, oil pump and head studs to ensure that the motor would last under these conditions.

When the car arrived at EVO, it was only running on 3-4 cylinders and was leaking coolant. The car sat for a few weeks while Buddy and I formulated a plan of attack for the car. Some more time went by and Buddy and I lost contact due some personal things Buddy was attending to.

The next contact that I had with Buddy was through one of his friends as well as Buddy's other family members. I was instructed not to spend any time on the car and perform no modifications to the car as the car was going to be sold as it was. I informed them that the car was not in running condition and would take some diagnostic time to figure why the car was only running on 3-4 cylinders.

We were then instructed to put the car back to stock and get the car to the Porsche dealership to see if they would warranty the engine instead of paying EVO to do the work. (at this point the car was still under warranty)

The car, according to the dealer had some electrical problems related to the ECU and had a high number of over rev counts stored in the ECU. They did not want to warranty the car. The car then came back to EVO for us to start the diagnosis process. We determined that the ECU needed to be replaced as well when we removed the engine from the car, there was a massive intake leak where the intake manifold was cracked and causing a major boost leak. In addition, we found a broken coolant line which was the source of the coolant leak. We put the original Stage 5 components back on the car and the car ran fine.

I personally drove the car for 5 days prior to shipping the car back to Buddy’s family. The car arrived in MI and I received a call from the shop who received the car. They informed me that the car was smoking profusely and wondered what the story was. At this point I have no idea what happened to the car. All I can figure is that maybe the car was loaded with the nose in the air and oil drained into the Garrett turbos thus causing the smoking problem. We sent the shop 2 more turbos and requested turbos off the car to be sent back for inspection. From this point I lost contact with the car until Buddy and I talked and I reiterated this entire long story to him since I was able to talk to him again after months of talking with his family. Buddy then contacted PES since they installed the original upgrades and his business and financial transactions were with them.

EVO never was able to perform the engine build up as planned and we invested a TON of time to help Buddy and his family get “whole†again on this car. We ended up in the middle of a few different crises and felt we went above and beyond to help resolve this situation. Furthermore, I agreed to help PES with building the engine if in fact the engine had a problem. I have not heard anything from Buddy in over 6 months and quite frankly thought things were resolved. I do not feel that it is my obligation but have offered repeatedly to both Buddy and PES that I will assist in any way that I can.

I hope you are all awake and I did not bore you with my novel.

F: 480.317.9901
E: info@evoms.com
Home of the Worlds Fastest 997TT Porsche(s)
997TT Standing Mile = 234.6 MPH
997TT Standing 1/2 Mile = 217.09 MPH
Fastest 1/4 Mile = 9.29 @ 172.7 MPH
60-130 MPH Time = 3.28 Seconds

Last edited by Evolution MotorSports; 02-24-2005 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:03 AM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
That's about as stand up as you can ask for. I expected no less Todd. Honorable people are a rarity and I appreciate your integrity.

Old 02-24-2005, 10:21 AM
MANA is infamous around these parts

Old 02-24-2005, 11:34 AM
Marc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really nice
Todd seems too be as good a guy as you can find in the tuner market he is offering to help where he need not, hope everyone comes off happy in this sad story. As well I am sure Buddy's unfortunate personal issues had some play in this as he was not there too be on top of the situation! GOOD LUCK TOO ALL!

Old 02-24-2005, 01:39 PM
mowblowgo is infamous around these parts
Nice job Todd.

Old 02-24-2005, 02:03 PM
GO 6SPEED!
DEETZ is infamous around these parts
Good job Todd, you are always behind your products!

Old 02-24-2005, 03:18 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Todd,

I agree with what you said but I did want to clarify that I sent you some money before the car was sent and my father also paid you later. So you were paid some amount, maybe not for as much time as you had in the car but this was not all done gratis.

Having said that I do appreciate what you have done to try to make the car right. I still don't know why the car ran fine for you and then was blowing not only smoke but also oil when it come off the trailer.

Anyway I finally spoke to Tony at PES on the phone today (Amazing how quickly he called me today) and he is going to send the motor to Todd by the end of next week to have Todd open it up and see what is going on. Tony found some things today that may mean the motor is not blown, we will have to wait and see.

I don't know how much this is going to cost or who is totally paying for this but I have to get the thing fixed so I can sell it. I hope I am not left holding the bag alone. Tony and I did agree that many people were involved with the car since it left PES originally and He and I
alone are not totally to blame for this situation.

Anyhow enough said for now, I will keep you posted as to how things turn out.

Hope you all are enjoying your awesome 996 turbo's! I sure do miss mine!

Old 02-24-2005, 04:36 PM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
I know this idea is pretty out there but if the car left Todd in great working order and by the time it was back at PES it was smoking is there a possibility the transporter had a little fun with the car. I'm sure the transporter was a reputable one at that but there are bad apples everywhere.