996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Y-pipe to plenum hose clamp advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 05:44 AM
tbarcelo is a glorious beacon of lighttbarcelo is a glorious beacon of lighttbarcelo is a glorious beacon of lighttbarcelo is a glorious beacon of lighttbarcelo is a glorious beacon of light
Y-pipe to plenum hose clamp advice

Last night I was within 15 - 20 minutes of wrapping up my alternator replacement job when I overtightened and snapped one of the two hose clamps that connect the Y-pipe to the plenum.

Local hardware and auto parts stores only have the standard 1/2" wide stamped hose clamps. One of the auto parts guys called my broken clamp a "heavy duty" clamp because the slots in the clamp are not the typical stamped slots.

For any of you that have broken or replaced these clamps - where did you get replacements?

Thanks,
Trevor

Old 09-23-2010, 06:30 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
how about dealer?

are you talking about the Y pipe to the TB... those are not heavy duty... on the contrary they are only 3/8th thick... take one off there should be a size stamped on it... like 80 to 100. and thats in mm.... go to Mcmaster-carr.com and order one... but if thats the case just go to the dealer...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 09-23-2010, 06:45 AM
tbarcelo is a glorious beacon of lighttbarcelo is a glorious beacon of lighttbarcelo is a glorious beacon of lighttbarcelo is a glorious beacon of lighttbarcelo is a glorious beacon of light
Woops, didn't even think of the dealer - good thought.

Yeah, it's the Y-pipe to TB. The 3/8" width is part of the problem - most of the hardware store clamps in that diameter are 1/2" - 5/8" and I wasn't sure those would fit. If I recall correctly, the rubber tube / coupling between the Y and the TB has some slots to keep the clamps in place.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Success! How about this for service - my local Porsche dealership didn't have the part. I told them that I knew it was a 70 - 90 mm clamp with a 9mm band. Apparently, the parts guy called around some local shops and found one for me! Hopefully I'll get everything back together tonight.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:42 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
told u...lol

I get them form Mcmaster-carr.... they have the same German ones for the all the clamps... turbos, etc etc...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 09-23-2010, 01:51 PM
I was seconds away from placing an order with McMaster-Carr before I found out about this solution. MC is great with shipping - I can order as late as 2p or so and get stuff next day. I love that place ...

Old 02-16-2011, 04:03 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
This just happened to me this afternoon, same job - alternator replacement. I was 30 minutes or less from having the job finished. I didn't have a spare car to go to the dealer, so I'll go tomorrow and hope they have one.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:30 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Yup..McMaster Carr rules...buy those clamps by the bag, and everything is always delivered the next day....

Old 02-16-2011, 05:38 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
This was my first time taking stuff off the top of the motor. Porsche loves clamps and clips!