996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Spark Plug Installation - Basic DIY Guide

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 01:40 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Very nice DIY article...I'll keep this one handy. Thank you!

Old 09-29-2010, 01:50 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Gonna hand out some rep points!

Old 09-29-2010, 02:39 PM
BMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vividracing
Thanks man. Had it sitting around for a bit and forgot to post it!
It appears you are showing just the passenger side, I presume the same goes for the drivers side?

Old 09-29-2010, 02:46 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
yup same.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:13 PM
smistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond repute
great job, thanks again!

Old 09-29-2010, 07:31 PM
kwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by vividracing

Sway bar thread? Link.
Sorry, here is a link. Its from the 997 forum, got a link to it through a 996 discussion a week or so ago. Thought it was all interesting stuff, but no definitive answers yet apparently.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:23 AM
Former Vendor
Do you have a 997TT? Please call me to discuss further.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:33 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Stupid question, but I only see two coil packs on the passenger side. Is the third one hidden by something and if so how do you get to it?

QUOTE=vividracing;2991332]
Changing the Spark Plugs in the Porsche 996TT

Remove Rear Bumper

Remove Inner Wheel Well Guard

Remove Intercooler Bracket Bolts

Remove Intercooler Upper and Lower Hose Clamps

Remove Intercooler

Bend Heatshield out of the way

Remove Coilpack Bolts

Remove Coilpack

Remove Spark Plug

Change Spark Plugs and reverse the uninstall for re-assembly
[/QUOTE]

Old 10-10-2010, 01:41 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
When you get in there you will see all three without difficulty. This is from my DIY on RennTech...
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...tion-pictures/

Last edited by Slider; 10-10-2010 at 01:43 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:16 AM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
This is really great. Can you provide a list of all the tools needed to do the job.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:27 PM
JG GT500 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Turbo
This is really great. Can you provide a list of all the tools needed to do the job.
Tools are identified in this thread.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...g-r-and-r.html

Getting geared up for the DIY

Old 04-14-2011, 01:21 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
HEY,Thanks......Good Info

Old 04-14-2011, 02:31 PM
idget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud of
I just replaced my plugs/coilpacks the other day.

Rather than remove everything outlined above, I removed the exhaust (plus O2 sensors and turbo heat shields of course) and the 2 heat shields covering the plugs. I was planning to swap the stock exhaust out anyway, so I thought I'd give it a try this way.

Tools I used were:

13mm ratcheting wrench (exhaust bolts)

13mm crows foot socket (exhaust bolts)

10mm ratcheting wrench (6 heat shield bolts)

O2 sensor socket

spark plug socket

5mm allen socket (coilpack bolts and exhaust straps I believe... maybe that was a 6mm?)

5mm (l-shaped) allen key (coilpack bolts)

socket wrench

6" extension

It was my first time working on the car and I went slowly and carefully. I also used jack stands and a creeper (no lift in my garage ). It still only took a bit under 3.5 hours total. I'm sure I could do it a bit faster next time now that I know what tool to use on each bolt.

The only difficult plug doing it this way is the passenger side front. I was still able to crack the coilpack bolts with the allen socket on a wrench, but getting both hands in there required some contorting of my right arm (above the boost hose, under a plastic liner, and kind of through a bracket).

The 2 passenger side back plugs and the drivers side back are easily accessible using this method. The 2 drivers side front plugs were not that difficult to get to, but required some maneuvering to remove and install the coilpacks. I needed to use an l-shaped allen key to break the coil pack bolts for these 2. There wasn't enough clearance to use the allen socket on a wrench and I prefer not to use wobble head sockets since I often don't get a perfect seat and tend to strip bolts (operator error for sure).

Last edited by idget; 04-14-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:57 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
+1 tools above look about right, but you don't need to remove the O2 sensors if you take the bumper off. You also need torx bits 25 and 40. I've changed my exhaust system as well. I would say it is far easier to remove the bumper than take the exhaust off to do the spark plugs. Once you have done it once, it should only take about 20 minutes to get to the plugs - less than an hour for the whole swap whether or not you change the coils too.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:09 PM
idget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud ofidget has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Slider
+1 tools above look about right, but you don't need to remove the O2 sensors if you take the bumper off. You also need torx bits 25 and 40. I've changed my exhaust system as well. I would say it is far easier to remove the bumper than take the exhaust off to do the spark plugs. Once you have done it once, it should only take about 20 minutes to get to the plugs - less than an hour for the whole swap whether or not you change the coils too.
Thanks for the tip! I'll try it that way next time.

Based on the pictures it definitely looks like access to the front plugs would be much more direct with the bumper off.

To be honest I was being a bit lazy and decided to try it with the exhaust off since it was coming off anyway.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Installation - Basic DIY Guide