996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Annoying Clutch Creaking!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 10:42 PM
TekNiC3 is infamous around these partsTekNiC3 is infamous around these parts
Annoying Clutch Creaking!!!

About 2 months ago, I had Carlsen Porsche replace the accumulator, slave, and power steering reservoir. These were all done under the Porsche CPO warranty.

A few weeks later, I notice the clutch pedal felt a little rough at the bottom 25% of the travel right before the floor. Didn't think too much of it until one day I had the windows down and notice along with the rougher pedal travel, there was a noticeable creaking noise. It only happens at the bottom of the clutch travel.

So yesterday, I drop by Stevens Creek Porsche (Closer to work) and had them look at it. They verified the noise, but wasn't able to tell me much more. They said it was coming from the clutch area and the only way they could tell me exactly what was wrong was to drop the engine/tranny and take a look. Quoted me $2,500 labor for that.

I asked about the warranty covering the issue. They were reluctant to commit to it. They said it could be the clutch is worn out (My car has 23k miles) which would not be covered. They said the only circumstance CPO would cover it is if the noise was related to the flywheel.

So before they can get started, they wanted me to OK the $2,500 estimate. I declined and took the car home.

Here's a video of the creaking / squeaking noise:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/teknic3/5043586170/

Anyone know what could be the cause of the noise? Any chance it'll be covered under the CPO warranty?

Last edited by TekNiC3; 10-01-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:42 AM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
Mine does it too...from day 1. My P-tech sad it's the slave cilynder and I have not to worry about it if I can stand the noise...

Maybe our 6speed friend jpflip could give us an insight.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:59 AM
jdiesel has a spectacular aura aboutjdiesel has a spectacular aura about
wow i thought mine creaked but its nothing compared to that.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:18 AM
smistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond repute
I have a similar creek- but with radio and exhaust notes, I can barely hear it when driving- doesn't bother me...

Old 10-02-2010, 09:40 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by emadelta86
Mine does it too...from day 1. My P-tech sad it's the slave cilynder and I have not to worry about it if I can stand the noise...

Maybe our 6speed friend jpflip could give us an insight.
I would like to help but never heard this before.... Of course there is a spring inside the slave that is moving when the clutch pedal is depress. (se pics in red) and this spring is flooded in pentosin oil. I doubt the noise come from inside the slave. But may be from the pressure plate or the fork that is operating the bearing onto the pressure plate.... Difficult to troubleshoot without being under the car while someone is operating the clutch pedal....

Attached Images  

Last edited by jpflip; 10-02-2010 at 09:46 AM. Reason: picture...
Old 10-02-2010, 09:56 AM
pinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to behold
could be the dry contact point from slave pushrod to the fork, dry pivot bushings on the fork, pressure plate, etc. hard to tell unless you take it apart and lube everything and recheck but might as well change the clutch while you're there

Old 10-02-2010, 10:59 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
If you feel like trying something not too easy because of the accessibility but may be useful.... You got a small access on the right side (left looking aft) of the transmission. After the starter is removed there is a rubber cap that give you access to the clutch housing. May be you can lubricate the clutch fork pivot point and the contact point from slave to fork like "pinoy911tt" is mentioning.... But the access is really bad.... And be careful not to spray any oil onto the pressure plate.... The last pic is the fork and the two pivot point (may be the noise come from there) and the slave piston touching point....

Attached Images   

Last edited by jpflip; 10-02-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by smistry007
I have a similar creek- but with radio and exhaust notes, I can barely hear it when driving- doesn't bother me...
When the car is on, you could hardly hear it. But what annoys me the most is when I step on the clutch to start the car, it makes the creaking noise.

Originally Posted by jpflip
I would like to help but never heard this before.... Of course there is a spring inside the slave that is moving when the clutch pedal is depress. (se pics in red) and this spring is flooded in pentosin oil. I doubt the noise come from inside the slave. But may be from the pressure plate or the fork that is operating the bearing onto the pressure plate.... Difficult to troubleshoot without being under the car while someone is operating the clutch pedal....
Originally Posted by pinoy911tt
could be the dry contact point from slave pushrod to the fork, dry pivot bushings on the fork, pressure plate, etc. hard to tell unless you take it apart and lube everything and recheck but might as well change the clutch while you're there
Originally Posted by jpflip
If you feel like trying something not too easy because of the accessibility but may be useful.... You got a small access on the right side (left looking aft) of the transmission. After the starter is removed there is a rubber cap that give you access to the clutch housing. May be you can lubricate the clutch fork pivot point and the contact point from slave to fork like "pinoy911tt" is mentioning.... But the access is really bad.... And be careful not to spray any oil onto the pressure plate.... The last pic is the fork and the two pivot point (may be the noise come from there) and the slave piston touching point....
Wow, that looks like something I'm not going to be able to tackle myself.

Thanks for the explanation. I'll keep this info for the dealership to look into.

I do not think this type is noise is normal. So I'm questioning why the CPO warranty won't cover something like this.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:04 PM
kwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud of
That sound makes me want to spray your car with a can of WD-40. Kidding aside, glad to hear it is not something to worry about if "you can live with it". I don't know if I personally could. Good luck with it.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:31 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
Just a thought, how often do you drive the TT?

Old 10-02-2010, 05:34 PM
168 is infamous around these parts168 is infamous around these parts
I've had this as well. It comes and goes. Evoms is looking at it for me now. I'll post if they find anything different.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:50 AM
Originally Posted by jdiesel
wow i thought mine creaked but its nothing compared to that.
With the car on, it isn't as noticeable.

Originally Posted by kwei
That sound makes me want to spray your car with a can of WD-40. Kidding aside, glad to hear it is not something to worry about if "you can live with it". I don't know if I personally could. Good luck with it.
Tell me about it. I hate squeaks and rattles. Creaking is even worse!

Originally Posted by emadelta86
Just a thought, how often do you drive the TT?
2-3 times a week.

I don't know if this is related to the parts I had replaced. Maybe just coincidence.....maybe not?

Originally Posted by 168
I've had this as well. It comes and goes. Evoms is looking at it for me now. I'll post if they find anything different.
My noise isn't going away after the car warms up. When things are cold, there isn't any noise.

Good luck!

Old 10-03-2010, 01:54 AM
Hopefully the new Porsche CPO warranty will cover this. It does state "all" parts are covered.

Originally Posted by http://www.porsche.com/usa/pre-owned-vehicles/approved/warranty/
The warranty seal of “Porsche Approved” stands for certified quality. The new Porsche Approved Certified Pre-owned Limited Warranty offers full peace of mind. Porsche Cars NA will repair or replace with new or remanufactured part any factory installed part that is faulty in material or workmanship under normal use. This limited warranty covers all parts of the following components:
  • Engine
  • Fuel / Cooling system
  • Power train / transmission
  • Suspension / Steering
  • Brake system
  • Heating / Air conditioning
  • Electrical Systems
  • Body
  • Comfort Electronics

Old 10-05-2010, 03:29 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
That creaking sound usually happens when the pressure plate is on its way out! I am on my 3rd clutch now and its doing it too. I also spun the clutch hard in 3rd gear 4 weeks ago, just have to get the time to install my triple disc set up.

If the noise sounds like its a spring binding its the p plate. the other points of contact do not get greased and unless there is some surface rust would not make a spring noise or a felt difference in the pedal more of a squeak. If it was rust that would clear up after a few strokes of the clutch.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:58 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Any updates on this one from OP, did you have it checked out?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Annoying Clutch Creaking!!!