996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Car overboosting with Greddy Profec II

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 10:46 AM
anikzad is a name known to allanikzad is a name known to allanikzad is a name known to allanikzad is a name known to allanikzad is a name known to allanikzad is a name known to all
Car overboosting with Greddy Profec II

Hi Guys,
I have been wrestling with this problem for two weeks now. Here is a short summary. Car was rock solid before with this exact setup.

Greddy ProfecII, Autometer boost gauge and GT800 package from EVOMS.

1) Two weeks ago, noticed a surge in the car on 91 octane.
Car was set to 17 lbs boost on low setting on EBC, but was boosting to 21.

2) My Autometer boost gauge seems to work as before (showing 21 lbs), the Profec however, seem to see 4.5 lbs less boost.

here is what I have done so far.

1) Both my Autometer gauage and Greddy seem to read 0 when I open the back (we are almost at sea level in San Diego).

2) I attached an air hose with boost gauge to the back of Greddy and at 30 lbs it read spot on, my air-compressor does not operate accurately below 25 lbs.

4) using a vacuum pump, I have tested the integrity of the boost lines. NO APPARENT LEAK.

3) We are checking the waste-gates on my 3071s and planning to install a manual boost gauge right before the input to Greddy.

I am about to buy anther Greddy Profec II to just eliminate that piece as well.

So all you Oracles help this near mortal here, any and all suggestions are most welcome.

Over-boosted and Frustrated.
-Arman

Old 10-05-2010, 10:54 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Not much advice, except why don't you use the factory boost valve? Are you changing boost with your gas type?

be careful until you figure it out, not worth blowing the engine.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:22 AM
anikzad is a name known to allanikzad is a name known to allanikzad is a name known to allanikzad is a name known to allanikzad is a name known to allanikzad is a name known to all
Originally Posted by ari
Not much advice, except why don't you use the factory boost valve? Are you changing boost with your gas type?

be careful until you figure it out, not worth blowing the engine.
Thanks for the advice, car is running Sunoco 104 GT blue at the moment for safety reasons. The setup was/is a pre-exisiting one and use I use the low and high setting for 91 and race fuel setting.

-Arman

Old 10-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
changing the greddy is not the answer...
whats your set gain set up at?

to really see the pressure your car is doing why dont you run a durametric on it... then compare...

another thing to do... pressure test from the turbos... but you need a accurate gauge compressor... and pressure to 20 psi lets say... then have someone look at the greddy and see what it will read out...

also, are both auto meter and greddy tapped in at the same location?
Boost leak? did you do a boost leak from the turbos?

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-05-2010, 12:54 PM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
Check all pressure turbo pipes for leaks...But i bet vacuum hoses that goes to wastegates leak somewhere...Had the same problem and one of them was leaking...(at 996TT)...

Old 10-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
changing the greddy is not the answer...
whats your set gain set up at?
>> Currently 38%, 20%, 850, and 140 for max boost
>> but boosting to 18 PSI
>> The weird thing is Greddy Shows 138 as max boost reached.

to really see the pressure your car is doing why dont you run a durametric on it... then compare...

>> I do not have a Durametric, but I guess I can always buy one.

another thing to do... pressure test from the turbos... but you need a accurate gauge compressor... and pressure to 20 psi lets say... then have someone look at the greddy and see what it will read out...

>> This is the next step, I have asked a friend who is a certified Porsche tech at local dealer to help me with this.

also, are both auto meter and greddy tapped in at the same location?
Boost leak? did you do a boost leak from the turbos?
>> We are about to find out. I am not sure, I need to follow the boost line from the ****pit to the bay as it is routed over the tranny.

Again Mark thank you for all your suggestions and useful tips.

-Arman

Old 10-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by skandalis447
Check all pressure turbo pipes for leaks...But i bet vacuum hoses that goes to wastegates leak somewhere...Had the same problem and one of them was leaking...(at 996TT)...

This is what my mechanic thinks too, however, what bothers me is that Greddy is seeing X and Autometer sees X+delta, no if Mark is correct and both are fed from the same source why the difference.

It is just weird.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Mark (or anyone with Greddy),
With a fully warmed engine my Greddy Shows -99 while my boost gauge shows -14 in.Hg. Is this normal?

Old 10-05-2010, 08:59 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
at idle on vacuum it should show -.60 to -.67... so you probably have some boost or vacuum leaks... boost test from the turbos will show everything... assuming you do it right and diagnose the issue(s).

click to view

Old 10-05-2010, 09:11 PM
at idle on vacuum it should show -.60 to -.67... so you probably have some boost or vacuum leaks... boost test from the turbos will show everything... assuming you do it right and diagnose the issue(s).

How about my boost gauge showing -13/14, is that one ok?

-Arman

Old 10-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by anikzad
How about my boost gauge showing -13/14, is that one ok?

-Arman
I have no idea... btw who installed the kit? or did you buy the car that way...
I didnt know Evoms sold that kit with a greddy... Usually they offer it on the bigger motor build packages.. is this something you added afterwards?

click to view

Old 10-06-2010, 09:18 AM
I have no idea... btw who installed the kit? or did you buy the car that way...
I didnt know Evoms sold that kit with a greddy... Usually they offer it on the bigger motor build packages.. is this something you added afterwards?
I purchased the car as is, but it was motor work was done by Alex at Sharkwerks and the additional tuning by EVOMS itself. As a matter of fact I plan to send the car back to them for injector, fuel pump upgrade and if lucky a new tune.

BTW, thank you for all your suggestions.

-Arman

Old 10-06-2010, 05:49 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
-13/-14 is that in bar or PSI?

Old 10-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by raineycd
-13/-14 is that in bar or PSI?
I believe my gauge uses in.Hg which with the use of google unit conversion gives -6.39 PSI as Mark mentioned.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:28 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Ok them why don't you send the car to Alex to figure it out instead of having different people work on your car ? The more hands in your motor the worse it will be in the long run, and while your car is there you can do the rest of the work

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car overboosting with Greddy Profec II