996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Looking for thoughts on a couple of cars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 10:27 AM
AMTRAK is infamous around these parts
Looking for thoughts on a couple of cars

Alright, first topic beginning on the forum for me... I've been lurking and reading for awhile. I'm about ready to pull the trigger, and have narrowed the field to a couple of cars. I liked Sam's car too, but decided I really didn't want silver or black (personal preference). This will be Porsche number 7, but the first 911 turbo. Most of the others were 944 variants (2 turbos, 2 968s, and an 89 N/A racecar) with the exception of an 84 911.

The first is a speed yellow turbo S with just under 32k miles on it with a GT2 front end, forge diverters, a GIAC flash, Fabspeed headers, a Tubi muffler, Euro GT3 Recaro fixed back seats, Moton clubsports, a single mass flywheel, upgraded Sachs clutch, and Champion 19s.

It's excellent cosmetically, and only needs a couple of things from what I can tell so far. Haven't had the PPI done yet. The clutch pedal does get stiff every time prior to starting, but the accumulator was replaced. Not sure if the slave was. Is this fairly normal? Clutch engagement seems normal once the car is started. The car feels very strong and pulls smoothly through 4th gear. Didn't feel like going to jail in the Sebring area, so didn't push it. The single mass flywheel makes the tranny sound like a pail full of nuts and bolts, but I can deal with as I know that's part of the cost of a single mass flywheel with these cars. It goes away in gear and with the clutch disengaged.

The other car is the adriatic blue car out in California. I'm not sure if anyone else has looked at it, but from photos I really like it. I'm not sold on the JIC/CROSS suspension.

Here's the link: http://sites.google.com/site/scdds996tt/ or 2003 996 turbo -- No Sunroof!

I didn't put the prices as I've searched the pricing threads and am just looking for your thoughts price independent then where you think they should be.

I prefer a nicely modded car and both cars feature upgrades I would do anyway.

thanks,
Joel

Attached Images    

Last edited by AMTRAK; 10-16-2010 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Changed link
Old 10-11-2010, 10:56 AM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
Both look familiar. I know I saw the adriatic blue one on here a few weeks ago. Can't miss that color. I love a blue porsche!

Edit: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...o-sunroof.html

Old 10-11-2010, 11:02 AM
Yes, same car. Owner seems like a nice guy, and is the original owner. I love the color, but like the mods on the yellow car a bit better.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:09 AM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
love the adriatic blue, pretty rare. but color is just preference anyway. nice mods on the yellow car for sure. any track time on the yellow car?

Old 10-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Yes, less than 10 track days on both cars. The owner of the yellow car has a Radical, an Exige, an Evo, and just got a GT3RS for track duty. So the turbo was pretty much a street car.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:33 AM
Update on these cars. The yellow car and blue car are now 10k difference in asking price. 55k vs 65k.

I know mods add up in price quickly which is why I'd rather get one with some good modifications.

I know the S demands a 7-8k premium, but since the other car already has K24s and the GT2 intercoolers is the difference gone?

What's to be gained with the S at that point?

Thanks
Joel

Old 10-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Durango Kid has a spectacular aura aboutDurango Kid has a spectacular aura about
If it were my decision, the blue one hands down.

The color is stunning and ultra rare. It appears to have been treated well with no expense spared options. It has fewer miles and I assume it is one that is $55k, which is a bonus.

If that car sits there any longer, I may put mine up for sale

Good luck with your decision.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:58 PM
AeroNsx is infamous around these parts
Go for the Blue one! I love that color, and I have a strong dislike for yellow and I don't think the 996 looks very good in yellow.

Plus, the blue one looks awesome with those wheels. I wish mine looked like that one!

BLUE BLUE BLUE!

Old 10-16-2010, 01:04 PM
Thanks, gents. I've been leaning toward the yellow one, but for the money the blue car is looking GREAT.

I need to get myself out to Cali to see it in person.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:07 PM
And yes, it's the blue car that is 55k. The color grows on me more every time I look at it, and the wheels are stunning.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:10 PM
jdiesel has a spectacular aura aboutjdiesel has a spectacular aura about
i say just pick the one thats color you like better both are cars in excellent condition and good mods. I personally like yellow over blue but thats my opinion. If you like ultra rare factory colors then adriatic blue is the way to go.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:14 PM
AeroNsx is infamous around these parts
Yeah, choose based on the color. That something you are not going to change, or at least not without dumping a ton of money into a new paintjob.

I think the blue is stunningly, and I wish I had it!

Old 10-16-2010, 01:21 PM
Good point on the color, guys. This would be my second yellow car as I had a yellow VW Corrado for about 8 years. I like them both, and would be very happy with either.

I'm going to make an offer on the yellow car and if the owner accepts, I'll buy it. If not it's off to Cali to drive and see what I can do with the blue car.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Yellow it is. Offer accepted contingent upon clean PPI. Not expecting any surprises.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:57 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
My vote would be for the blue car, but you cannot go wrong with either. Of course I'm a crazy who would seek out a sunroof delete car so that detail easily puts it over the top for me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking for thoughts on a couple of cars