996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

997tt or 997gt3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 06:13 PM
htownbdr is infamous around these parts
997tt or 997gt3

So, I have a conundrum. I currently have a 996tt that I love. But, might be getting rid of it and I either want a 997tt or gt3. I use the car as a fun weekend deal and about 6 track days a year.

Problem is, I am used to the 996tt, love the turbo aspect and love the awd. Also, really like the looks of a tt much more than a gt3 and love the speed of the tt.

But, a gt3 is a monster on the track and as much as I like the weekend driving, I like the track better.

I can't afford them both. So, what would you guys do? Both would be the first generation 997. Think the gt2 is out of the range by the way. 85 is about my high point.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:44 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Out of the box the gt3 is much more ready and fun at the track. With a few bolt ons you can easily get 600plus out of the 7tt but it does need some suspension work. You really do need to drive both of them though as they feel quite different.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:10 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
Out of the box the gt3 is much more ready and fun at the track. With a few bolt ons you can easily get 600plus out of the 7tt but it does need some suspension work. You really do need to drive both of them though as they feel quite different.
Why not forget the bolt ons, and just get suspension stuff ?
If you want power, just flash it and be done with it if you go with TT.
After that, about 10k into suspension and you will be good to go.

Gt3; aligment, toe links to lock toe, and thats about it.

I would say, if possible keep the 6tt for your power rush and add a 3 for your weekend fun. If can't do that, get the 3. Less money spend to make track contender. The 997.3 is not scary to drive at the limit, very easy car to drive 10/10s. You won't feel the awd gone.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:32 PM
Can't have them both. Good to hear it's not scary to drive at the limit. Really have become accustomed to awd.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:38 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
If you want a thrilling weekend car that can also be a monster on the track, get a 996 GT2.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:49 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
If you want a thrilling weekend car that can also be a monster on the track, get a 996 GT2.
I have driven Grahams 996 gt2. Only road car that really made me think twice about pressing the gas pedal. Sideways action at apex in 3rd and 4th gear with no problem. Hm, this car i classify as scary, but super raw and fun. I was like an insane 2 year old the whole drive.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:59 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Make a decision where your going to use the car the most.. if on the street 997tt if ont he track 997 Gt3.. My experience is this owning both.. People think the gt3 is harsh to drive on street and its not at all.. The problem i have with the gt3 is its TQ LESS compared to 997tt.. So what i found was my issue was to enjoy the car you have to turn 8k with it which means 2nd gear your speeding 80+MPH to get to where the power is..

The 997tt You step on it at 3k and your making power shift at 5k and so on.. Enjoyable to step on a few gears and cruise.. The Gt3 must SCREAM to feel 400hp.. That was my issue with it as a street car..

Mike

Old 10-13-2010, 09:01 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I drove my father in-law's GT3 with Cup tires and was awestruck at the turn-in and and steering precision as well as overall grip. My car is fun at the track. The GT3 is a scalpel. GT3 is almost 500lb lighter as well.

It's tough choice. They look the same but totally different cars. I hear the 7T.2 is really better than the .1 but they are also presently much more expensive.

Have you considred a 7.1 GT2? That might fit your needs with a flash and are relatively inexpensive

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 10-14-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:04 PM
AeroNsx is infamous around these parts
Pick up the latest AutoWeek Magzine. The front cover is a comparison between those two cars. Its a really good article.

Personally, if you don't do a ton of track driving, I would go for a turbo over a GT3. But read the article, its designed for you. I can't find the article online. Maybe they don't put it on the web until the issue is off the news stand.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:18 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
I have driven Grahams 996 gt2. Only road car that really made me think twice about pressing the gas pedal. Sideways action at apex in 3rd and 4th gear with no problem. Hm, this car i classify as scary, but super raw and fun. I was like an insane 2 year old the whole drive.
AWWWW it's not that bad, GT2's are just lil' ol' puppy dogs

GT3, hands down out of those two. But I agree with Scott, 996 GT2, nothing like it when you learn how to make it go fast

Old 10-14-2010, 08:37 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
996GT2 may be your answer.GT2 is amazing at the track and powerfull.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:36 AM
AlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud of
I had the same dilemma and went with the 996 GT2.
I had turbo cars in the past and really loved the TQ and the feeling when the boost kicks in so I knew it had to have turbos.
At the same time, I also wanted a sharp car for the occasional track day.
So with those requirements, there really was, only 1 choice.
I had mine for ~2 months now and it's amazing.
no regrets, only smiles

Old 10-14-2010, 10:11 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AeroNsx
Pick up the latest AutoWeek Magzine. The front cover is a comparison between those two cars. Its a really good article.

Personally, if you don't do a ton of track driving, I would go for a turbo over a GT3. But read the article, its designed for you. I can't find the article online. Maybe they don't put it on the web until the issue is off the news stand.
I have that issue of AutoWeek and couldn't help but wonder how much slower the Turbo with 6MT would have been versus the PDK car tested. Obviously the Turbo + PDK is a tough combo to beat. I definitely agree with the thought that the GT3 won't be quite as enjoyable on a day to day basis unless your normal daily commute allows for a lot of corners or opportunities to really let that engine sing, whereas you can get a lot of immediate gratification from the Turbo.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:20 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. The answer was as simple as a test drive. One little spin and I was hooked. So now, the gt3 is in my garage.

Here she is:http://www.momentumporsche.com/certi...seHistory=true

Bad news is I am no longer the owner of a turbo. Good news is I have a 997 that wraps out at 8400 rpm.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:33 PM
AlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud of
Congrats. that's a brand new car!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997tt or 997gt3