996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Thoughts on price for low mile 2004 seal grey Turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 11:44 AM
zer0t has a spectacular aura aboutzer0t has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Saint Ari
Hmmmm I got a 2004 Guards Red for about $32K 6 months ago ... 35K miles ...
Was that with or without the Turbos?

Old 10-30-2010, 11:46 AM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
LOL .. came with a pair of snails ... I was hoping for a pair or ZC or Alphas ... but I suppose we cant win 'em all ...

Old 10-30-2010, 04:06 PM
Well I tried to get them below 57k....again, but I think I'm just going to pay them because it is CPO and in backyard. The car is really nice.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:46 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Fine. Still get a PPI. Plenty of highly qualified shops in your area.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:06 PM
The car is certified and I am buying it from a Porsche dealer. They did a PPi and will provide it to me. I just don't think I'll grt a better car. If the coupe was arctic silver instead of seal grey there'd be nothing else I'd be looking for.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:31 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Have you not read the multiple posts and threads from members warning folks not to rely on the dealer to tell you the car is 'great'?!?! You simply cannot think the dealers CPO checklist is an acceptable "buyers PPI"

A "ppi" is not like an "oil change" ....every dealer, every mechanic has a different PPI. Most dealer PPIs do not check for paint work or damage, they never dump the dme and look for over-revs and signs of abuse. You need to think about this- that car could have had significant repaint, and the dealer might know this- and the CPO will not diclose this, and when you discover this they'll just say "Oh, it passed our CPO". Likewise, there could be (for example) second gear pop out issues due to the prior owner grinding 2nd, yet if you discover this in 3 weeks the dealer and PCNA will refuse to fix it

There are stories, one after another, of buyers thinking "if I pay more at a P dealer it will give me some guarantee of quality, after all they have their reputation and Porsche wouldn't let them do that".

Total foolishness.

I hope you are lucky and this is much todo about nothing- but recognize that there are many people that get screwed buying "CPO" cars from a dealer then finding all kinds of issues that neither PCNA nor the dealer will fix.

Best of luck

Old 10-31-2010, 05:47 AM
I accept your points and will ask for a full PPI on the car Monday before committing to buying it. Is it customary for the selling dealer to do it or take it to another dealer? I am hoping that I am done shopping so I can get a car to actually drive. Hopefully the PPI will support purchasing the car.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:35 AM
JG GT500 is infamous around these parts
Buyer pays for PPI - and usually you would want someone other than the selling dealing to perform. Shade Tree Garage in Morristown or Powertech in Rockaway are two options proximate to Paul Miller Porsche. (I'm not affiliated with either). I would expect the PPI to run starting around $200.

http://www.pwr-tech.com/

http://www.shadetreegarage.com/

Old 10-31-2010, 06:47 AM
I've heard of Power Tech before and they are just a bit closer.

If the dealer discourages this I would imagine it's a huge signal, eh? When spending 57k on a used car I guess 200 bucks is a prudent investment.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:50 PM
ard
Originally Posted by JG GT500
Buyer pays for PPI - and usually you would want someone other than the selling dealing to perform. Shade Tree Garage in Morristown or Powertech in Rockaway are two options proximate to Paul Miller Porsche. (I'm not affiliated with either). I would expect the PPI to run starting around $200.

http://www.pwr-tech.com/

http://www.shadetreegarage.com/
Correct. (On all 3 points) $200-300 is reasonable for a thorough inspection.

You do not ask the dealer for it.

Talk to the shops, explain what you want - see how they respond. You can search here for other buyers asking the same kinds of questions (Like "what do I ask for in a PPI", etc) There is a search box, spend 20 minutes and read some old threads/tips on the issue.

I recommend that a PPI include the following:

Porsche CPO Checklist, using the Porsche CPO criteria, done IN WRITING.
Check for any paint or bodywork, damage
Dump of the DME for any over-revs, error codes

Optional: Consider
compression/leakdown is and suspicion by the mechanic (discuss this with the folks doing the inspection)

One final note- if there are any over-revs, you should know that PCNA (not paul miller) can actually refuse a warranty claim down the road and say "the car was abused". The fact that those over-revs were there when you bought it will not matter. If there are any over-revs, I'd say get a written agreement from the selling dealer that this will have no impact on the CPO warranty and you'll be fine.

A

PS Most P dealers are pretty weird about PPIs... last thing they want is someone showing their CPO was a sham. But they also have issues with sending cars to other shops. See what they say...

Old 11-01-2010, 08:05 AM
TTUEE is infamous around these parts
I just purchased '04 Cab CPO with 21k miles for $59.9k, non-dealer PPI checked good, now I'm driving with a big smile with this great Texas weather. Time will tell if PPI and CPO will cover me. This is my first P car.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:47 AM
slm4buffs is infamous around these parts
I just bought a 03 X-50 38.5K miles with some extra goodies for 50K. Should be delivered to me on Friday.

My first Porsche after owning a B5 S4 for almost 8 years.

Did you ever call on the car in MA?

Old 11-01-2010, 11:03 AM
SRISER has a spectacular aura aboutSRISER has a spectacular aura aboutSRISER has a spectacular aura about
The old CPO program used to have a specific set of covered items and people were in fact finding themselves with an issue that was neither checked nor covered by PCNA. However, the new CPO program coverage is bumper to bumper. In fact, my car is in right now getting the high tone horn replaced and while it is there, they are replacing the center wheel crests...under warranty! The new CPO checklist is a bit more comprehensive but that does not preclude a PPI as that is a great bargaining tool if you find something inconsequential that needs to be fixed. The best part is, if it is a non wear item, perhaps you can bargain down and then bring it right back for repair under warranty.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by slm4buffs
I just bought a 03 X-50 38.5K miles with some extra goodies for 50K. Should be delivered to me on Friday.

My first Porsche after owning a B5 S4 for almost 8 years.

Did you ever call on the car in MA?
I didn't because it's to far. I found a 15k mile car, 04, seal grey non-cpo private party that I am doing a PPi on. The CPO just ran out And I have it down to 52,500.

What started out as a hunt for a GT3 is now a hard search for a tt car. If this one doesn't work out I'll slow down until closer to néw years. I don't need it fornthe winter but I'm just antsy. The prices will probably become more favorable to me at that point.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by TTUEE
I just purchased '04 Cab CPO with 21k miles for $59.9k, non-dealer PPI checked good, now I'm driving with a big smile with this great Texas weather. Time will tell if PPI and CPO will cover me. This is my first P car.
Congrats

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on price for low mile 2004 seal grey Turbo?